Study: Netflix Users Spend 8 Hours a Week with the Service
It’s no surprise that Amazon.com is trying to take a piece of Netflix’s turf through its partnership with the pay-TV service Epix. A new report from GfK shows that the average Netflix user (ages 13 to 54) watches 5.1 TV shows and 3.4 movies per week via the service.
Using conservative length estimates for TV shows and movies, (30 minutes and 1.5 hours, respectively), this means that an average Netflix subscriber spends about 8 hours a week watching the service. This is double the time than an average person (ages 13 to 54) spends using a videogame system (about 3.5 hours a week). (Source: MultiMedia Mentor®)
Overall, the study found that 47 percent of 13- to 54-year-olds have ever used Netflix, and 39 percent are monthly users – up from 35 percent in 2011.
Despite these levels, there is softness in Netflix loyalty. Almost 4 in 10 (37 percent) Netflix subscribers still have a negative view of the brand in the aftermath of 2011’s pricing missteps; and 51 percent would be willing to switch to a similar service if it was offered by their pay TV service (compared to 45% in 2011).
“In a short time, Netflix has carved out a powerful role in US media, providing the kind of content control and user-friendly interfaces that consumers demand now,” David Tice, SVP of GfK Media and director of The Home Technology Monitor™. “Netflix clearly has built a model worth emulating – but it will have to fight harder to sustain brand loyalty and its position as market leader.”
The new study, “Over-the-Top TV 2012: A How People Use® Media Report,” was conducted in June 2012 among 1,051 persons ages 13 to 54. The report defines ownership and use of over two dozen “non-linear”-TV viewing options, including DVDs, VOD, and streaming through videogame consoles or Internet-connected devices like TVs, Blu-ray players, and other specialized devices. The study also includes a deeper dive section on Netflix usage, as well as three-year trends on key data points.
To find out more, visit www.gfk.com.
I like streaming Netflix movies when bored. It helps to pass the time.
Leave a Comment
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum March 11th 2014 VANCOUVER, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO [...] more »
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer March 11th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Ampush, a leading [...] more »
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting March 11th 2014 ADOTAS – You may already know that Facebook Exchange (FBX) [...] more »
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President March 11th 2014 SAN DIEGO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) -– Covario, a leading independent [...] more »
- Kitara Media Appoints Chris Magdelinskas as Chief Technology Officer March 11th 2014 JERSEY CITY, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Kitara Media Corp. [...] more »
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media March 10th 2014 KANSAS CITY, Mo. and LOS ANGELES, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Fans Among Farmers, Filmmakers#Selfie Music Video Dominates With Help From Social Media InfluencersAdknowledge Acquires
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]