Maximizing the Potential of QR Codes
Although the technology is nothing new, in the past few years, Quick Response (QR) codes have become more commonly used. They can be seen everywhere from cash register receipts to billboard advertising and even in store – creating an entirely new shopping experience.
QR code adoption has been the biggest challenge to its growth. With the majority of consumers unaware of the function, there is an even larger number who experience QR code blindness.
With more advanced QR readers becoming available as downloadable apps, the opportunity for using QR codes is increasing. As more mobile devices begin to have QR readers built in, it will become more mainstream, opening up the possibilities for advertisers even further. A number of Blackberry phones already have a QR reader built in (although this can be quite difficult to find).
By including a QR code in a marketing campaign, advertisers are able to create interactive media. For example, QR codes are becoming more prevalent in print media where advertisers providing more information on specific products and linking through to a transactional page where customers can purchase there and then. It also provides an opportunity to become even more creative with advertising campaigns, bringing them to life and delivering engaging content.
As well as utilizing print media for effective use of QR codes, this is being seen more often in store. eBay is a great example of an advertiser looking to use QR codes effectively in store. They currently have a London based store which doesn’t have any physical products to purchase, but a number of images of products with QR codes that can be scanned. Once the code is scanned it is possible to order the item on your cell phone – increasing the opportunity for impulse purchases and changing in line with consumer shopping habits. Ebay is not the first to trial this and they will not be the last. With more stores having wifi access, it is making it even easier to transact this way in store. Connection speeds have been an issue for QR code adoption as consumers become impatient with slow load times but in store wifi eradicates this issue.
The development of mobile marketing strategies is really helping to build a true multi-channel experience, with the ability for advertisers to ‘close the gap’ between online and offline. While initiatives such as location based targeting are proving successful in generating instore footfall, QR codes have shown the ability to send customers online from an offline promotion, allowing the advertiser to engage with consumers in various different ways.
When using QR codes as a form of marketing, it is important to ensure that they are well executed and are viewed as more than just a gimmick. Advertisers often fall short and send visitors through to a site that has not been optimized for mobile, resulting in a poor user experience and not maximizing the opportunity for acquisition through QR codes. To increase the propensity to purchase and increase the use of QR codes, advertisers should consider offering customers something extra such as a discount for using the code of some additional content beyond just driving the customer through to a standard website.
It is also important that advertisers understand their audience. Is the target market likely to be tech savvy and understand what a QR code is in the first instance? Are they likely to have the technology to use the QR code? If not, then using QR codes is not going to be a relevant tactic.
With the use of mobile expected to increase further, QR codes are likely to become more mainstream. This is something that is going to be driven further by new handsets having built-in QR readers in the near future. It is important that advertisers make sure that they are using this technology effectively to ensure that they move beyond simply being a fad.
“They (eBay) currently have a London based store which doesn’t have any physical products to purchase…”
It was an eBay pop-up charity store for 5 days only http://2d-code.co.uk/qr-code-ebay-store-london/
Here is a more permanent and very nice example of what you are talking about http://2d-code.co.uk/qr-code-cube-store/
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]