AvatarLabs Builts Robust Digital Marketing Campaign for ‘Resident Evil: Retribution’
LOS ANGELES (September 20, 2012) – AvatarLabs, an award-winning, full-service digital agency that leads in innovative design and marketing, today announced its involvement in creating the robust digital marketing campaign for the latest installment of Screen Gems’ (a Sony Pictures Entertainment Company – SPE) most successful movie franchise, “Resident Evil.” Looking to increase engagement among the franchise’s large fan base ahead of the launch of the latest film, Resident Evil: Retribution, released in theaters worldwide on Friday, September 14, AvatarLabs worked closely with SPE to develop an in-depth and highly interactive campaign that helped the film secure the number one spot at domestic box offices its opening weekend, bringing in more than $21 million in U.S. ticket sales.
Throughout the campaign, AvatarLabs employed a wide array of digital and offline components, all designed to maximize engagement among fans of the science fiction thrillers by extending film and franchise plotlines across real-world, social and mobile platforms. These components include:
- At the center of the campaign is the movie website, complete with a stunning layout that encompasses the 3D aspects of the film in a way that gave fans the sense they are inside various scenes from the movie. This website was built in HTML5 and also translated to mobile versions for iOS and Android.
Original Online Games
- Undead Unleashed: A third-person shooter that provides the user with the experience of “Alice,” the main character played by actress Milla Jovovich, in the streets of major cities around the world featured in the film during a zombie invasion. Players can use a variety of weapons during gameplay. The game also features dialogue recorded by Jovovich.
- Street Invasion: A first-person shooter that integrates with Google Maps and places the player on real streets around the world as they try to survive a zombie invasion.
- AvatarLabs created a mock website for the Umbrella Corporation that allows fans to “join” the Umbrella Corporation and create a custom corporate ID badge.
- The site went through many iterations with the first promotion of a globetrotting exhibit tour. A video of the attraction was shot on location in Cancun, Mexico and is featured on the site.
- The site is filled with information about Umbrella Corporation drawn from both the film and game series’ lore. Original video content informs fans about the Umbrella Corporation. Further, fans that enter their employee ID number are rewarded with a secret video featuring Jovovich warning of the dangers of Umbrella.
- A YouTube mimic page features Jovovich breaking out of the site and allows the user to take control of her character and blow up helicopters in the video player. The execution features original video shot by AvatarLabs.
Online Ad Campaign
- The online ad campaign features takeovers and rich media featuring AvatarLabs’ exclusive video footage of Jovovich, as well as original video content. The online ad campaign ties all the major marketing pieces together and allows users to connect to the official site, the games, and the YouTube mimic page. Users can also post Tweets directly from the ads.
- AvatarLabs worked with the film’s director, Paul W.S. Anderson, to shoot custom video footage with Jovovich on location at the Sony Pictures lot that was used across various elements of the campaign ranging from the Umbrella Corporation site to the YouTube mimic page to the online ad campaign.
“Having worked with Sony on dozens of film campaigns in the past, having the opportunity to fully develop such an in-depth and creative campaign for a film franchise with such a rich history as Resident Evil is a dream come true,” said Chris Chung, Associate Creative Director at AvatarLabs.
Josh Golsen, Client Services Manager at AvatarLabs continued, “AvatarLabs worked hand-in-hand with the studio, producers, actors and the director to create a stunning campaign that let fans of the franchise engage with the movie in many new and exciting ways. We couldn’t be happier with the results.”
AvatarLabs is best known for developing digital campaigns for many of the highest-grossing movies of all time worldwide including Fox’s Avatar, Warner Brothers’ The Dark Knight, several of the films in the Harry Potter franchise, Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games, Disney’s The Avengers and multiple films in the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. The company’s expertise includes developing online advertising, websites, social media, mobile apps, games, viral marketing, motion graphics, digital marketing strategy and content production.
AvatarLabs is a Los Angeles-based, award-winning, full-service digital agency that leads in innovation, design and technology for Fortune 500 corporate brands and the world’s top entertainment companies. For more information, please visit www.avatarlabs.com.
- Pingback from AvatarLabs Builts Robust Digital Marketing Campaign for ‘Resident Evil: Retribution’ [#Transmedia] | Transmedia: Storytelling for the Digital Age | Scoop.it
- Pingback from AvatarLabs Builts Robust Digital Marketing Campaign for 'Resident Evil ... - ADOTAS | Flash Marketing News | Scoop.it
- Pingback from AvatarLabs Builts Robust Digital Marketing Campaign for ‘Resident Evil: Retribution’ [#Transmedia] | Los Storytellers | Scoop.it
- Pingback from AvatarLabs Builts Robust Digital Marketing Campaign for ‘Resident Evil: Retribution’ | Marketing the Independent Film | Scoop.it
Leave a Comment
AvatarLabs Builts Robust Digital Marketing Campaign for ‘Resident Evil: Retribution’LOS ANGELES (September 20, 2012) – AvatarLabs, an award-winning, full-service digital agency that leads in innovative design and marketing, today [...] more...
- From the Twitterverse: Gamers Hate On Xbox One May 21st 2013 ADOTAS – Microsoft has unveiled Xbox One, its next-generation entertainment [...] more »
- Brands & the Next Internet Wave: What You Need To Know May 21st 2013 ADOTAS – For brand managers and marketers, the Internet has [...] more »
- Blogshare: Why Tumblr Will Make Yahoo Billions May 21st 2013 ADOTAS (via WordStream) — Here’s why I think Yahoo is [...] more »
- Study: Xbox Reveal Sparks More Social Buzz than Galaxy S4 and Facebook ‘Phone’ Combined May 21st 2013 ADOTAS — The new Xbox gaming console, which will be [...] more »
- Video: Xbox Reveal, 5/21/13 May 21st 2013 ADOTAS – Microsoft unveiled its next-generation Xbox today at a [...] more »
- Live Twitter Feed from Internet Week New York May 20th 2013 ADOTAS – This year’s Internet Week New York (#IWNY) will [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Implications of Yahoo’s Tumblr Acquisition? May 20th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’ve solicited comments from industry leaders in [...] more »
- Brands & the Next Internet Wave: What You Need To Know May 21st 2013
- Blogshare: Why Tumblr Will Make Yahoo Billions May 21st 2013
- Preview: What’s Happening at Internet Week New York 2013 May 20th 2013
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit May 17th 2013
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships May 17th 2013
- Print and Web Manager
- SEO Marketing PPC Specialist
- Marketing Summer Internship at Clean-Tech Educatio
- Service Line Manager - Digital Media
- SEO / SEM Specialist
- From the Twitterverse: Gamers Hate On Xbox One: [...] – Microsoft has unveiled Xbox One, its next-generation entertainment console. This is not your
- From the Twitterverse: Xbox One Reaction: [...] ADOTAS – Here’s how the world is reacting to Microsoft’s Xbox One announcement: [...]
- Study: Xbox Reveal Sparks More Social Buzz than Galaxy S4 and Facebook ‘Phone’ Combined: [...] — The new Xbox gaming console, which will be unveiled today, has produced 66,000
- Ben Straley responds to Implications of Yahoo’s Tumblr Acquisition? - Rio SEO Blog: [...] Original article posted here [...]