Adidas Football’s Campaign on Tumblr is Un/expectedly Subtle
ADOTAS – Whenever a brand or movie buys the IMDb home page, it typically looks like marketing vomit: big and loud and ostentatious, disruptive. Marketers have complained that Facebook’s sidebar ads are a bit too subtle, so nobody’s clicking them. So it is fitting that despite Tumblr founder/CEO David Karp‘s notable past resistance to advertising that the Adidas football (European football, soccer here in the U.S.) campaign is nice-looking and quiet, and contains real content at the top left: a podcast that’s actually about football and refereeing. There are also static and GIF images, and a link to a video.
In case you missed the discussion about it a over the last couple months, the Tumblr ad space model works differently: Ads are only visible to people who are Tumblr users when they’re logged in to their dashboards, not to people just visiting a Tumblr blog. And users are alerted to the fact that an image is an ad by the addition of a dollar sign icon in one corner of each ad.
The Adidas football campaign comes on the heels of Adidas’ soccer Tumblog that was launched in time for 2012 UFEA European Championship. Adidas’s campaign is larger in scope than being the first major ad campaign run on Tumblr. The dubious honor of being the first advertiser on Tumblr goes to boutique fashion retailer Bottega Veneta, whose ads are both smaller and in fewer spots on Tumblr’s user interface and spotlight pages. Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games film also ran a Tumblr campaign. But the network isn’t offering advertising to just any brand willing to pay for the space. They’ve started with brands that are already active on Tumblr, and hope to learn a lot from the first few campaigns. And they continue their search for an ad sales chief – in fact, the search recently passed into its fifth month.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013 ADOTAS — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Audience Development Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than