Adidas Football’s Campaign on Tumblr is Un/expectedly Subtle
ADOTAS – Whenever a brand or movie buys the IMDb home page, it typically looks like marketing vomit: big and loud and ostentatious, disruptive. Marketers have complained that Facebook’s sidebar ads are a bit too subtle, so nobody’s clicking them. So it is fitting that despite Tumblr founder/CEO David Karp‘s notable past resistance to advertising that the Adidas football (European football, soccer here in the U.S.) campaign is nice-looking and quiet, and contains real content at the top left: a podcast that’s actually about football and refereeing. There are also static and GIF images, and a link to a video.
In case you missed the discussion about it a over the last couple months, the Tumblr ad space model works differently: Ads are only visible to people who are Tumblr users when they’re logged in to their dashboards, not to people just visiting a Tumblr blog. And users are alerted to the fact that an image is an ad by the addition of a dollar sign icon in one corner of each ad.
The Adidas football campaign comes on the heels of Adidas’ soccer Tumblog that was launched in time for 2012 UFEA European Championship. Adidas’s campaign is larger in scope than being the first major ad campaign run on Tumblr. The dubious honor of being the first advertiser on Tumblr goes to boutique fashion retailer Bottega Veneta, whose ads are both smaller and in fewer spots on Tumblr’s user interface and spotlight pages. Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games film also ran a Tumblr campaign. But the network isn’t offering advertising to just any brand willing to pay for the space. They’ve started with brands that are already active on Tumblr, and hope to learn a lot from the first few campaigns. And they continue their search for an ad sales chief – in fact, the search recently passed into its fifth month.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Six Mistakes You’re Making with Landing Pages
- Wired to Share: New Research from ShareThis and Digitas Reveals Important Insights into Digital Sharing Behavior of Moms
- Coverage of Microsoft’s Xbox Reveal Drives Spike in Adotas Readership
- Does Mobile Display Even Work? How Geo-Location and Cross-Platform Ads Will Change the Game
- Upcoming Event and Conference Calendar
An Interview with Jasper Mullarney, VP of Direct Response Advertising, AdknowledgeADOTAS — Industry Veteran Jasper Mullarney is Vice President of Direct Response for Adknowledge, the fourth-largest digital marketplace behind only [...] more...
- Six Mistakes You’re Making with Landing Pages May 22nd 2013 ADOTAS — Landing pages represent the tipping point for affiliate [...] more »
- Wired to Share: New Research from ShareThis and Digitas Reveals Important Insights into Digital Sharing Behavior of Moms May 22nd 2013 PALO ALTO, CALIF., May 22, 2013 (ADOTAS) – In one [...] more »
- Coverage of Microsoft’s Xbox Reveal Drives Spike in Adotas Readership May 22nd 2013 ADOTAS – Yesterday, just prior to Microsoft’s press conference introducing [...] more »
- Does Mobile Display Even Work? How Geo-Location and Cross-Platform Ads Will Change the Game May 22nd 2013 ADOTAS — The potential of mobile advertising is huge. And [...] more »
- Upcoming Event and Conference Calendar May 22nd 2013 ADOTAS – Here’s a snapshot of upcoming industry events. Further [...] more »
- From the Twitterverse: Gamers Hate On Xbox One May 21st 2013 ADOTAS – Microsoft has unveiled Xbox One, its next-generation entertainment [...] more »
- Brands & the Next Internet Wave: What You Need To Know May 21st 2013 ADOTAS – For brand managers and marketers, the Internet has [...] more »
- Six Mistakes You’re Making with Landing Pages May 22nd 2013
- Does Mobile Display Even Work? How Geo-Location and Cross-Platform Ads Will Change the Game May 22nd 2013
- Brands & the Next Internet Wave: What You Need To Know May 21st 2013
- Blogshare: Why Tumblr Will Make Yahoo Billions May 21st 2013
- Preview: What’s Happening at Internet Week New York 2013 May 20th 2013
- Client Relationship Manager
- Print and Web Manager
- SEO Marketing PPC Specialist
- Marketing Summer Internship at Clean-Tech Educatio
- Service Line Manager - Digital Media
- Brands & the Next Internet Wave: What You Need To Know | Domain Hacking: [...] Permalink [...]
- JamalK: Thanks for this Richard! I think its really difficult to make a case for how
- Coverage of Microsoft’s Xbox Reveal Drives Spike in Adotas Readership: [...] The live video post was the third most read article of the day, followed
- Coverage of Microsoft’s Xbox Reveal Drives Spike in Adotas Readership: [...] most popular article of the day was our live #XboxReveal Twitter feed, which ran