More articles by Wikus Engelbrecht
A Quick Guide on How to Handle Email Unsubscribes
Sometimes people sign up to your group emails for a while, only to decide later that what you’re offering is not really for them. At this point they’ll hit the unsubscribe button, and depending on how well you’ve set things up, getting their name off your list may or may not be an agonizing process for them.
I’m sure that everyone has, at some point, unsubscribed from a commercial email campaign, and that almost everyone would’ve come across the painful and often drawn-out “200-step or more” unsubscribe system that certain companies have in place – seemingly to annoy you into staying on their mailing list.
The problem is that this annoyance doesn’t benefit the email marketer, since disgruntled subscribers are usually reluctant to buy from you, or even read what you’ve got to say, ever again. They might even just hit the “report spam” button, which will lower your sender reputation, or try to take legal action against you for continuing to send them promotional mailers that they don’t want anymore.
Some of the main reasons why people unsubscribe are:
While understanding why people opt out can be of great value in helping you improve your product/service or marketing campaigns, it’s inevitable that you will at least lose a few subscribers every now and then — sometimes without any good reason. So when that does happen, the best thing you can do is to respect their wishes and give them a quick and friendly send-off.
A common pet peeve among users is when they are made to search for hidden unsubscribe buttons or jump through hoops to get their name off your list. It’s better for everyone if you make this process as simple and polite as possible, since business integrity and the law demand that you always give people a clear channel to opting out.
The first step is to make sure your unsubscribe options/buttons/links are obvious and easily accessible on every email that you send. Your reader should never have to strain to look for it.
And when someone does unsubscribe from your mailing list, it’s a sure sign of professionalism to send them a reassuring confirmation email that they have been successfully unsubscribed.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships
- Unleash the Power of Mobile: 6 Steps to Lead Generation the ‘Iron Man’ Way
- Who’s Sharing My Brand Images? Why Text-Based Social Media Monitoring Falls Short
- Ads That Look at You: How Eye-Tracking Technologies Will Change the Advertising Game
Take the Display Advertising Survey for the Chance to Win a Jawbone Jambox!ADOTAS – Industry discussions about cookies, privacy and the impact on display advertising have been frequent — and, in some [...] more...
- It’s Not Digital – It’s Mobile May 17th 2013 ADOTAS — One of the biggest mistakes advertisers can [...] more »
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit May 17th 2013 ADOTAS – The first-ever Westchester Digital Summit was held on May [...] more »
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships May 17th 2013 ADOTAS — Strong marketing strategies attract attention and build the [...] more »
- Adotas Poll: Tremor Video IPO Would Be A Success May 17th 2013 ADOTAS – In this week’s poll, we asked our readers: [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Impact of Google I/O Announcements? May 16th 2013 ADOTAS – We’ve asked our esteemed panel of industry thought [...] more »
- Unleash the Power of Mobile: 6 Steps to Lead Generation the ‘Iron Man’ Way May 16th 2013 ADOTAS – Tony Stark aka Iron Man is restless. The [...] more »
- Pandora is First Digital Publisher to Offer e-Business Advertising Integration into Media Buying Platforms May 16th 2013 OAKLAND, CALIF., May 15, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Pandora (NYSE: P), [...] more »
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit May 17th 2013
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships May 17th 2013
- Unleash the Power of Mobile: 6 Steps to Lead Generation the ‘Iron Man’ Way May 16th 2013
- Who’s Sharing My Brand Images? Why Text-Based Social Media Monitoring Falls Short May 16th 2013
- Ads That Look at You: How Eye-Tracking Technologies Will Change the Advertising Game May 15th 2013
- Print and Web Manager
- SEO Marketing PPC Specialist
- Marketing Summer Internship at Clean-Tech Educatio
- Service Line Manager - Digital Media
- SEO / SEM Specialist
- Backlinks uk: Within search engine optimisation (SEO), one way links reference hyper-links aiming to a distinct Website
- energy-physics: Media.net is a fantastic ad program. But now a days I cant customize their ads.
- Today’s Burning Question: Impact of Google I/O Announcements? – Adotas | Social Media Strategy Plan: [...] Permalink [...]
- Today’s Burning Question: Impact of Google I/O Announcements?: [...] “What will be the impact of the big announcements coming out of this week’s