A Quick Guide on How to Handle Email Unsubscribes
Sometimes people sign up to your group emails for a while, only to decide later that what you’re offering is not really for them. At this point they’ll hit the unsubscribe button, and depending on how well you’ve set things up, getting their name off your list may or may not be an agonizing process for them.
I’m sure that everyone has, at some point, unsubscribed from a commercial email campaign, and that almost everyone would’ve come across the painful and often drawn-out “200-step or more” unsubscribe system that certain companies have in place – seemingly to annoy you into staying on their mailing list.
The problem is that this annoyance doesn’t benefit the email marketer, since disgruntled subscribers are usually reluctant to buy from you, or even read what you’ve got to say, ever again. They might even just hit the “report spam” button, which will lower your sender reputation, or try to take legal action against you for continuing to send them promotional mailers that they don’t want anymore.
Some of the main reasons why people unsubscribe are:
While understanding why people opt out can be of great value in helping you improve your product/service or marketing campaigns, it’s inevitable that you will at least lose a few subscribers every now and then — sometimes without any good reason. So when that does happen, the best thing you can do is to respect their wishes and give them a quick and friendly send-off.
A common pet peeve among users is when they are made to search for hidden unsubscribe buttons or jump through hoops to get their name off your list. It’s better for everyone if you make this process as simple and polite as possible, since business integrity and the law demand that you always give people a clear channel to opting out.
The first step is to make sure your unsubscribe options/buttons/links are obvious and easily accessible on every email that you send. Your reader should never have to strain to look for it.
And when someone does unsubscribe from your mailing list, it’s a sure sign of professionalism to send them a reassuring confirmation email that they have been successfully unsubscribed.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media March 10th 2014 KANSAS CITY, Mo. and LOS ANGELES, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom March 10th 2014 ADOTAS – This past Friday, Advertising Age reported that Omnicom [...] more »
- PointRoll’s Social Engager Leverages Multi-Source Data to Alter Creative on the Fly for Mobile Facebook & Twitter Users March 10th 2014 AUSTIN, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Advertisers can engage prospective [...] more »
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence March 10th 2014 NEW YORK, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Bitly, the company [...] more »
- RadiumOne Appoints New CFO As Rapid Growth Continues March 10th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 9, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RadiumOne, the leading global [...] more »
- Blue Calypso’s DashTAGG Chosen as ad:tech San Francisco Official Mobile Gamification Platform March 10th 2014 DALLAS, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Blue Calypso, Inc. (OTCBB:BCYP), [...] more »
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen | Isupon: [...] ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy growth in the use