How Engagement Can Measure Consumer Sentiment and Trends
ADOTAS - For companies operating in an environment where trends last for weeks and mobile applications come and go, it’s increasingly difficult to learn what customers on the ground are thinking about products. One method to capture this sentiment is through a review of customer engagement.
A crucial step in effectively using consumer engagement is to first utilize the right advertising channel. Older models of advertising that contend you need to spend 100 percent of a budget and only 50 percent of it will be effective should no longer be acceptable. Advertisers need to demand better of their channels, and agencies need to deliver higher ROIs. It’s a very reasonable, request given the technology tools available today and the ability to quickly obtain real insights back from the consumer.
Advertisers need to demand sophisticated demographic data that goes beyond the basics of gender/age/income and into personalized data, such as vacation and leisure time preferences, type of car owned and the number of children in the household. You need lifestyle questions so you can build correlations between demographic data points and a propensity to respond well to your products and any follow-up engagement initiatives. It’s a vital consideration to avoid wasting that “50 percent.”
Engaging with the customer and learning their likes and dislikes allows a brand to understand them in a holistic manner. For an example, through market research and careful analysis, the marketing team at The Hartford insurance company determined that individuals with pets at home were also better overall insurance risks than individuals without pets. The team used this information to target their best insurance deals to this lower-risk pool of pet owners. It’s a simple but powerful example of a major brand engaging customers in order to obtain knowledge, and then using the data to alter future marketing efforts.
The worth of measuring engagement comes from how effectively you craft the questions about the consumer’s experience. Questions, whether they are included in a brief survey or other means, need to be concrete, pertinent and probing. The goal is not only to capture thoughts about satisfaction and loyalty, but other details that can be analyzed for trending patterns. Questions need to walk the fine line of acquiring personal information without feeling invasive. Information gathering also needs to be timely, preferably occurring immediately after a purchase or service experience, so you capture true impressions from the consumer instead of fuzzy recollections.
Consistently reaching out for customer sentiment through engagement measurement allows companies to alter their marketing and brand strategies in real time. This will help ensure longer-term brand engagement from the customer and a propensity for social sharing about the product or service. Consumer interests can change in a flash, and companies follow customer sentiment can maintain relevancy, keeping the revenue stream open. Real feedback to pertinent and personal questions provides a deeper understanding of what the customer desires from your product or service. The trick is to then make the necessary changes to satisfy those desires.
- Pingback from Afternoon Announcements: Seven Essential Email Marketing Tips, How Engagement Can Measure Customer Sentiment & Lessons in Content Strategy From Children's Books | Duncan/Day Advertising
Leave a Comment
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer March 11th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Ampush, a leading [...] more »
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting March 11th 2014 ADOTAS – You may already know that Facebook Exchange (FBX) [...] more »
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President March 11th 2014 SAN DIEGO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) -– Covario, a leading independent [...] more »
- Kitara Media Appoints Chris Magdelinskas as Chief Technology Officer March 11th 2014 JERSEY CITY, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Kitara Media Corp. [...] more »
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media March 10th 2014 KANSAS CITY, Mo. and LOS ANGELES, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom March 10th 2014 ADOTAS – This past Friday, Advertising Age reported that Omnicom [...] more »
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Fans Among Farmers, Filmmakers#Selfie Music Video Dominates With Help From Social Media InfluencersAdknowledge Acquires
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]