Online Video RTB: What to Know Before You Bid
ADOTAS - The growing popularity of online video has caught the attention of U.S. advertisers, as they realize the incredible reach this medium presents. Just recently, comScore released data from its comScore Video Metrix service showing that 179 million U.S. internet users watched nearly 38 billion online videos in February alone.
The reason for this tremendous growth is three-fold: Publishers have taken advantage of the sharp reduction in shooting and editing costs; viewers have responded by consuming a whopping 200-plus videos per month across thousands of sites; and marketers are fueling the demand by investing in this emerging format thanks to overwhelming evidence that online video is at least as effective as, if not more effective than, broadcast advertising.
As the interest around online video has grown, so has the real-time bidding (RTB) market. Both media buyers and publishers are becoming more comfortable with the process, as buyers on the exchange are using more advanced technology to take on more bids at a faster pace.
While this is great news for the industry, it is important for buyers to fully understand how they can make the most effective real-time bids for their brand. The reality is that pre-roll video only accounts for 2 percent of all impressions served on the web. Thus, savvy marketers need to treat this small but valuable marketing element carefully to maximize ROI by taking the following points into consideration as they plan their campaigns:
Reach the audience that matters most. You’ve likely spent a good amount of budget to create your video advertisement, so the worst thing you can do it blast it out to a wasted audience. It is crucial that data is pulled from both on- and offline data sets, such as point of sale information, social media, videos, music, local web pages and online magazines, to find the right audience for your brand.
Remember this is a contextual environment. It’s important to work with a buyer that has the power to “know the page” before you buy it. This means understanding the content of the video your ad will be running with. Most brand-conscious marketers do not want their advertisements running during a negative news story, for example, that could tarnish their brand simply by being associated with this type of content.
Remember the 80/20 rule. The majority of your sales come from a fraction of your stores, products or services. Marketers are already blanketing their advertisements through broadcast, print and online efforts, so use your online video bids to deliver focused messaging to your most loyal consumers to increase their purchase frequency.
While it seems like marketers and media buyers are finally ready to dip their toes into online video RTB, it is important that the same standards that apply to the display world are used for video. Thus, marketers need to compile real, actionable data to create campaigns that not only complement their offline efforts, but reach the right online audience with a message that motivates them to make an offline purchase.
Leave a Comment
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013 ADOTAS — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than