Mobile Shopping Offers Opportunities for Mobile Marketing
GRAPHICMAIL – We already know consumers love their mobile devices, but we’re only just beginning to understand how they make their purchase decisions on the go, and how to market products or services to them.
To get greater insight into this, Google studied online shopping behavior for the U.S. in the 2011 holiday season, which revealed a number of interesting stats. One key observation was that consumers use their smartphones at many different points in the purchase path.
41 percent of those who used their mobile phones to help with shopping said they made a purchase directly on their smartphone. 46 percent said they researched an item on their smartphone, then went to a store to make their purchase. 37 percent said they researched an item on their smartphone then made their purchase online.
Another key insight that emerged for mobile marketing purposes is that consumers used all three devices (smartphones, tablets and desktop computers) throughout the research process, but some activities were more popular on specific ones.
Consumers who owned tablets read product reviews and looked for product information more from their tablet devices than from their desktop computer or smartphone. This is likely due to the combination of the large screen and portability of the device that enables consumers to use it more often and in more places.
Not surprisingly, more consumers used their smartphones to contact a retailer. With the many click-to-call phone numbers on websites and in ads, smartphones make it easy to contact retailers.
The powerful data they uncovered can drive best practices for bulk mobile advertising year round, and it’s obvious that smartphones and tablets are only going to become a bigger part of the consumer shopping experience worldwide.
Bulk SMS marketing is one way to encourage the use of mobile devices as a part of the shopping journey, especially in emerging markets where mobile commerce is still taking root.
SMS marketing is the one form of communication that many people are glued to 24/7, and is the closest thing in the digital marketing world to a guaranteed read. Some research has even shown that 97 percent of all SMS marketing messages are opened, 83 percent of which are opened within one hour of receipt.
Business that have mobile-friendly offerings need to take the initiative in introducing it to their audience to get them out of the desktop-only comfort zone.
To help with this, last year GraphicMail finished with the development of an innovative new mobile marketing platform that marries mobile websites and push marketing by way of a personalized web-link send within bulk SMSs. This tool enables messages to be delivered directly to subscribers’ phones with a simple click-through from an SMS, channeling viewers to an image-rich, personalized mobile site.
What’s clear is that advertisers who engage with their customers across all three devices will have an advantage in 2012.
- Pingback from Mobile Marketing News Weekly – Week of February 20, 2012 – SYS | barcodegeneratorfree.com
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]