How Social Targeting Can Lead to Discovery
But, as every fisherman knows, your targets are constantly moving. They were in one place yesterday, another today, and they’ll be in yet another tomorrow. And when you find them, you want to be the only fisherman reeling them in.
What if you had special radar that would tell you where your prize fish – or, for our purposes, your target audience — is right now, at this very moment?
You do. It’s called social targeting. Let’s say your target audience consists of young adult males who like rap music. You could place your ads – along with all your competitors – to reach young adults who engaged with or liked Facebook fan pages for rap music. Or you can discover that the current ebb of the social conversation has moved your target audience into active discussions about the NBA.
Why? Perhaps an NBA star is recording a rap track. What’s most important, though, is that right now, in real time, you can outmaneuver the competition by reacting immediately and being the first to advertise on basketball-oriented pages.
Social targeting refers to the use of social signals and trends that allow you to identify and purchase highly relevant ad inventory. It utilizes the implicit signals shared by users (if you talk about rap music with your friends, you must like rap music) and then uses the ebbs and flows of social conversation to target fast-emerging groups of highly engaged users.
Let’s compare social targeting with the alternative, static targeting, which is most often used by brands today. With static targeting, you use pre-defined audience assumptions to purchase social ad inventory. You rely on a limited set of explicitly defined assumptions (perhaps your Facebook profile says you like rap, but you also listen to rock). And you never change it. Your audience changes interest, and you stay static.
Unlike with social targeting, static targeting fails to take into account current moods and discussions – which, of course, is exactly what social media is all about. And it fails to account for undiscovered interests of your target audience.
Social targeting is all about discovery, as things happen – of both audiences and engagement. Brands can discover untapped pockets of untapped audiences, and they can discover and connect with users when they are most engaged around a specific topic – and most apt to be open to your brand’s message.
That’s a great discovery.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day December 10th 2013 ADOTAS – Marketers all have different opinions about how much [...] more »
- Adobe: Digital Magazine Circulation, Engagement are On the Rise December 10th 2013 ADOTAS — Today, Adobe released data showing significant circulation growth [...] more »
- New Adchemy Software Puts Multiplier Effect On Keyword Search Campaign Revenue December 10th 2013 SEARCH INSIDER SUMMIT, PARK CITY, Utah, December 10, 2013 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- Exclusive: American Laser Skincare Taps Matomy as Agency of Record December 10th 2013 ADOTAS – Today, American Laser Skincare, a large provider of laser [...] more »
- Unicorn Media’s Dynamic Ad Insertion Technology Enables Video Monetization on Twitter December 10th 2013 TEMPE, AZ, December 10, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Unicorn Media, the [...] more »
- Simulmedia Closes $25 Million D Round December 10th 2013 NEW YORK, December 10, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Simulmedia, a targeted [...] more »
- Fiverr® Launches iPhone App: Puts 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand December 10th 2013 NEW YORK, December 10, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Fiverr®, the world’s [...] more »
- SPECIAL REPORT: Ad Fraud and the Anatomy of a Botnet December 11th 2013
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day December 10th 2013
- Sharpen Your Marketing Strategy with Accountable Media December 10th 2013
- Female Game Players are Stealing TV Advertising Budgets December 10th 2013
- Media Consolidation Is Revolutionizing Marketing December 9th 2013
- Mgr Channel Planning (Social Media)
- SEO/SEM Analyst
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- IOne LocalZimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves » IOne Local: [...] Castle. “They don’t just tackle our marketing problems; they help us continually improve ourbusiness. Zimmerman brought
- Sean Eisner: Ho Hum--hundreds of supposed review verification marks out there already, including UK-based "TrustMark" which sounds
- Exclusive: American Laser Skincare Taps Matomy as Agency of Record | MineralSpas.org: [...] Permalink [...]
- Michael Durwin: Another title for this article might be Advertisers Are Finding Better Engagements of Female Through