How Social Targeting Can Lead to Discovery
But, as every fisherman knows, your targets are constantly moving. They were in one place yesterday, another today, and they’ll be in yet another tomorrow. And when you find them, you want to be the only fisherman reeling them in.
What if you had special radar that would tell you where your prize fish – or, for our purposes, your target audience — is right now, at this very moment?
You do. It’s called social targeting. Let’s say your target audience consists of young adult males who like rap music. You could place your ads – along with all your competitors – to reach young adults who engaged with or liked Facebook fan pages for rap music. Or you can discover that the current ebb of the social conversation has moved your target audience into active discussions about the NBA.
Why? Perhaps an NBA star is recording a rap track. What’s most important, though, is that right now, in real time, you can outmaneuver the competition by reacting immediately and being the first to advertise on basketball-oriented pages.
Social targeting refers to the use of social signals and trends that allow you to identify and purchase highly relevant ad inventory. It utilizes the implicit signals shared by users (if you talk about rap music with your friends, you must like rap music) and then uses the ebbs and flows of social conversation to target fast-emerging groups of highly engaged users.
Let’s compare social targeting with the alternative, static targeting, which is most often used by brands today. With static targeting, you use pre-defined audience assumptions to purchase social ad inventory. You rely on a limited set of explicitly defined assumptions (perhaps your Facebook profile says you like rap, but you also listen to rock). And you never change it. Your audience changes interest, and you stay static.
Unlike with social targeting, static targeting fails to take into account current moods and discussions – which, of course, is exactly what social media is all about. And it fails to account for undiscovered interests of your target audience.
Social targeting is all about discovery, as things happen – of both audiences and engagement. Brands can discover untapped pockets of untapped audiences, and they can discover and connect with users when they are most engaged around a specific topic – and most apt to be open to your brand’s message.
That’s a great discovery.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]