BlueKai Report Explains DMPs to Publishers
ADOTAS - BlueKai released a report this week on the value of data management platforms for publishers, aiming to explain how exactly a DMP manages data, and how it can provide insights that might grow audiences and increase ad revenue. In the process of explaining the functions of a DMP to publishers, the report starts out by differentiating what a DMP does from what other platforms that work with publishers can do. “Currently, many publishers rely on SSPs to manage multiple indirect sales channels for their inventory in a real-time bidding environment,” the introduction asserts. “While SSPs provide some analytics about inventory pricing, bids, sales, and performance, they have not developed significant capabilities for first party data ingestion and management.” And that’s where a DMP comes in, the report says — by leveraging a huge amount of data, both first-party data from the publisher and third-party data, a DMP can provide real-time analysis that allows publishers to segment ad inventory, define target audiences and work in accordance with DSPs, SSPs, ad exchanges and ad networks. In short, the report explains a DMP can centralize the audiences of all a publisher’s properties throughout the web in one space, use insights about that centralized audience to present a richer proposal to exchanges and media buyers, and (via media buyers) extend its audience across several websites or content categories or among media partners. It also explains what a publisher should look for in a DMP — which can be helpful, seeing as this stuff can get fairly heady and technical.
In an email exchange, BlueKai senior vice president of strategic partnerships Wayne Thorsen acknowledged that a DMP might not be part of a publisher’s daily thought process, it can provide solutions to things publishers do think about often. “While publishers may not be thinking specifically about ‘data management,’” he said, “they are thinking every day about understanding who is coming to their website, what they are doing once they get there, and increasing engagement, ad revenues and yield from their audience.” He pointed out benefits of finding out what permitted third parties know about a publisher’s audience and the ability to use all this data to optimize an audience’s actions, whether the goal is customer conversion, registration or simply continuing to move from one article to the next. And while a publisher might be disinclined to work with one more type of company in a fragmented online arena, Thorsen underlined the idea with a DMP is “not about working with one more company, but having an agnostic platform that helps them make smarter business choices and improve the value exchange from any partnership that the publisher enters into.
“I think for publishers, the frustration of working with multiple companies comes with the fear of losing control, or that any of them have the publisher’s best interest in mind,” Thorsen said. “A DMP allows publishers to gain a better sense of the true value of their audience assets that is not dictated by someone else. ”
You can read the full BlueKai report here.
Leave a Comment
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Scripps Acquires Newsy for $35 Million December 9th 2013 CINCINNATI, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) – The E.W. Scripps Company [...] more »
- Industry Veteran Simon Hayhurst Joins Rocket Fuel as SVP of Product and Business Development December 9th 2013 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Rocket Fuel Inc., [...] more »
- New Searchmetrics Solution Restores Keyword ‘Not Provided’ Data Taken Away by Google December 9th 2013 NEW YORK, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Searchmetrics has [...] more »
- Survey: Facebook is the Most Trusted Review Platform Over Pinterest, Youtube and Twitter December 9th 2013 NEW YORK, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) — A new [...] more »
- Bazaarvoice Introduces Authentic Reviews Trust Mark to Help #EndFakeReviews December 9th 2013 AUSTIN, Texas, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Bazaarvoice, Inc. (NASDAQ:BV), [...] more »
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Media Consolidation Is Revolutionizing Marketing December 9th 2013
- Google’s Disavow Tool: The What, Why and How December 9th 2013
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Mgr Channel Planning (Social Media)
- SEO/SEM Analyst
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than