Survey: Younger People Aren’t So Worried About Data Access
ADOTAS - By conventional wisdom, there’s something of a paradox going on among younger people. The generation that never really knew an internet-free world, or at least plunged online before reaching adulthood, is supposed to be extremely web-savvy as a whole. But, in spite of what they know about how the web works, they also are supposed to be more inclined to play fast and loose with their data, oversharing their information left and right. And maybe both stereotypes, though they might seem to contradict each other, are true: According to a new Forrester study, compared to older generations, 18-to-24-year-olds don’t mind so much. Only 33 percent say they’re concerned about access to their behavioral data. (By contrast, 47 percent of 55-to-64-year-olds said they were worried about that kind of access.) And the younger group is more willing to exchange personal data in exchange for discounts.
Forrester conducted the survey by asking 37,000 online U.S. and Canadian adults, with the goal of answering the questions, ”Do people care if companies collect their data, and does it affect their decisions about the companies?” Forrester VP for idea development Josh Bernoff, in a post on Ad Age today, actually sees a trend toward greater public awareness about what happens to data online. CMS Wire has a detailed overview, and the full report is available at Forrester’s site.
What kinds of information are people worried about being accessed by the companies with which they share data? Good question, and there’s a chart with the answer (click to enlarge):
- Pingback from Retail Merchandiser Blog
Leave a Comment
- IAB: “Ad-Blocking Is Highway Robbery”
- Altimeter Releases Study–From Web Traffic to Foot Traffic: How Brands and Retailers Can Leverage Digital Content to Power In-Store Sales
- Want To Rank Higher In Mobile Phone Searches On Google?
- Second Annual UNIFY 2015 Conference on Content Marketing; Speakers Announced
- The Second Wave of Automation: What’s Up With Programmatic Ad Buys Now?