Study: Mobile Search Is Way Up, Google Leads Search CPC Decrease
ADOTAS – The Q4 Digital Media Report from digital marketing suite IgnitionOne confirms a what a lot of folks have understandably expected: Mobile search is on the rise. Search ad spend is up. Search cost-per-click is down. Google continues to lead the search market, and there’s been an increase in both spending and impressions in Google display ads. Unless you have a contrarian streak, you probably shouldn’t be surprised.
The big reveal is in the specific numbers — especially the mobile stats. According to the report (which was compiled from fourth-quarter 2011 data and compared to past data gathered by IgnitionOne — the company’s tracked over 49 billion impressions and 1.7 billion clicks over major search and display networks since 2006), mobile search ad impressions are up 317 percent and ad spend is up 269 percent, year-over-year. Among retailers, mobile search ad spend in 2010 accounted for 5.2 percent of total paid search budgets, and that percentage spiked to 14.2 percent in 2011. Retail search ad spend peaked on Black Friday — 24 percent of spend went to mobile queries that day.
The report also declared the fourth quarter of 2011 the “best quarter ever” for search advertising, with search ad spend up 22 percent year-over-year (26 percent for retailers), and an increase of 42 percent for impressions and clicks and 67 for transactions. Cost per click decreased 8.6 year-over-year — though CPC actually increased 6.4 percent for Yahoo!/Bing. That demonstrates, the report’s abstract pointed out, Google’s success drove the trends in decreasing CPC. Google also commanded an 81.8 percent market share, and its DoubleClick AdExchange posted a 105.5 percent increase in spend.
The full report, issued today, can be found at IgnitionOne’s website.
- Pingback from Today’s in ad tech 11 January 2012 | Rutger Tuit
- Pingback from Study: Mobile Search Is Way Up, Google Leads Search CPC Decrease - ADOTAS | Adexchange | Scoop.it
- Pingback from Study: Mobile Search Is Way Up, Google Leads Search CPC Decrease « Marketing Suite « Online Contact Management
Leave a Comment
- Fast Lane to Optimization–One by AOL: Video Ad Assurance
- Connexity’s Bizrate Insights: Back-to-School Shopping Starts Before the End of the School Year
- Know Before You Buy: 5 Ad Tech Trends That Small Agencies Should Embrace with Caution
- ironSource: App Economy Sees Over 60% Growth of Candidate-Oriented Apps
- Meeting the 3 Challenges of Cross-Device Targeting