Brand Storytelling at Its Finest
ADOTAS – What makes a brand stand out? What makes a brand resonate with consumers? What makes a brand evoke an emotional connection that is so powerful, it turns consumers into brand ambassadors? It’s when a brand can tell an incredibly influential yet simple story that touches a consumer on a personal level.
There are so many brands that come to mind, but the one I would like to focus on is TOMS. Even though I’m not professionally connected to the company at all, this one brand has made a huge impact on me through its story:
I first heard of TOMS when I was in a shoe store in New York City a few years ago. I was instantly drawn to the brand because of its mission to provide shoes for children in need. Recently, my dental hygienist recommended that I read Blake Mycoskie’s (“Chief Shoe Giver” of TOMS) new book, Start Something that Matters. His book tells his story of creating TOMS (Shoes for Tomorrow) and how it is important to “find your story.”
As he states in his book, people are no longer listening to a few radio or TV stations each week; they are surfing more than 500 TV channels as well as numerous digital channels and mediums (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Kindles, iPads), often at the same time. Thus, it is important to present information in an emotionally compelling fashion, otherwise it’s forgettable. Simply put, “People don’t need new facts — they need a new story.”
I now think, in this case, the Chief Shoe Giver should be referred to as Chief Storyteller, and I might as well be referred to as Story Ambassador. Here’s why: As a result of my exposure to the TOMS story and the recommendation that I received in the dental chair, of all places, I’m sharing my own personal experiences with the brand.
• I recommended TOMS to my work colleagues, including marketing team members, partners on the Centro Giving Tree, our non-profit committee, and our CEO, Shawn Riegsecker.
• I mentioned TOMS in the weekly Centro Academy insights email distributed to our sales team and clients; it complemented a recent article by the IAB President on building better brand stories.
• I recommended TOMS to my family and friends.
• I recommended TOMS to my marathon-training buddies albeit while running out of breath.
• I recommended TOMS to a local chiropractor and other health and wellness friends.
• I recommended TOMS on my Twitter page, singing TOMS’ praises to all my followers.
Additionally, I’ve noticed the TOMS brand more and more, whether it’s on my Facebook news feed, on a friend’s or stranger’s feet, or online while I’m surfing from site to site. It truly brings a smile to my face.
The above list is not intended to be self-serving — instead, I’m trying to show an example of how a powerful brand can turn one brand ambassador into many, including people who are quite influential. As a result, this one brand story continues to be told by many who want to be a part of the story. The key phrase is “I recommended,” which translates into more actions that lead to more sales. Bingo!
Why have I felt so compelled to focus on this one brand? It’s really quite simple. This brand has forged an emotional connection with me. I honestly want to buy as many shoes as I ca,n because I know I am doing something good at the same time.
I challenge more advertisers to tell inspiring and meaningful brand stories, particularly among digital channels, that leave a long-lasting impression on consumers. As a result, they can let their consumers do all the talking or shall I say marketing. The key is to tell a story that matters to consumers.
- Pingback from Brand Storytelling at Its Finest | RssB1
There’s something quite powerful and compelling about a CEO that is capable of stepping up and becoming the brand’s true champion. We believe podcasting is a great way for a business owner to start. To shine a light on the CEO, we pair them up with a radio professional that can interview them. It’s a whole lot easier to be interviewed than it is to prepare a written podcast and try to deliver it without sounding canned. Once the content is spoken into existence it can be repurposed in many ways including articles, reports, white papers. Podcasting this way for 10 minutes per week will result in almost 80,000 words in a year. That’s enough to start focusing some Rock Star appeal to a CEO.
- Pingback from Brand Storytelling at Its Finest -- TOMS Shoes | The New Wave of Business Sense! | Scoop.it
Leave a Comment
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media March 10th 2014 KANSAS CITY, Mo. and LOS ANGELES, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom March 10th 2014 ADOTAS – This past Friday, Advertising Age reported that Omnicom [...] more »
- PointRoll’s Social Engager Leverages Multi-Source Data to Alter Creative on the Fly for Mobile Facebook & Twitter Users March 10th 2014 AUSTIN, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Advertisers can engage prospective [...] more »
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence March 10th 2014 NEW YORK, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Bitly, the company [...] more »
- RadiumOne Appoints New CFO As Rapid Growth Continues March 10th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 9, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RadiumOne, the leading global [...] more »
- Blue Calypso’s DashTAGG Chosen as ad:tech San Francisco Official Mobile Gamification Platform March 10th 2014 DALLAS, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Blue Calypso, Inc. (OTCBB:BCYP), [...] more »
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen | Isupon: [...] ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy growth in the use