Brand Storytelling at Its Finest
ADOTAS – What makes a brand stand out? What makes a brand resonate with consumers? What makes a brand evoke an emotional connection that is so powerful, it turns consumers into brand ambassadors? It’s when a brand can tell an incredibly influential yet simple story that touches a consumer on a personal level.
There are so many brands that come to mind, but the one I would like to focus on is TOMS. Even though I’m not professionally connected to the company at all, this one brand has made a huge impact on me through its story:
I first heard of TOMS when I was in a shoe store in New York City a few years ago. I was instantly drawn to the brand because of its mission to provide shoes for children in need. Recently, my dental hygienist recommended that I read Blake Mycoskie’s (“Chief Shoe Giver” of TOMS) new book, Start Something that Matters. His book tells his story of creating TOMS (Shoes for Tomorrow) and how it is important to “find your story.”
As he states in his book, people are no longer listening to a few radio or TV stations each week; they are surfing more than 500 TV channels as well as numerous digital channels and mediums (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Kindles, iPads), often at the same time. Thus, it is important to present information in an emotionally compelling fashion, otherwise it’s forgettable. Simply put, “People don’t need new facts — they need a new story.”
I now think, in this case, the Chief Shoe Giver should be referred to as Chief Storyteller, and I might as well be referred to as Story Ambassador. Here’s why: As a result of my exposure to the TOMS story and the recommendation that I received in the dental chair, of all places, I’m sharing my own personal experiences with the brand.
• I recommended TOMS to my work colleagues, including marketing team members, partners on the Centro Giving Tree, our non-profit committee, and our CEO, Shawn Riegsecker.
• I mentioned TOMS in the weekly Centro Academy insights email distributed to our sales team and clients; it complemented a recent article by the IAB President on building better brand stories.
• I recommended TOMS to my family and friends.
• I recommended TOMS to my marathon-training buddies albeit while running out of breath.
• I recommended TOMS to a local chiropractor and other health and wellness friends.
• I recommended TOMS on my Twitter page, singing TOMS’ praises to all my followers.
Additionally, I’ve noticed the TOMS brand more and more, whether it’s on my Facebook news feed, on a friend’s or stranger’s feet, or online while I’m surfing from site to site. It truly brings a smile to my face.
The above list is not intended to be self-serving — instead, I’m trying to show an example of how a powerful brand can turn one brand ambassador into many, including people who are quite influential. As a result, this one brand story continues to be told by many who want to be a part of the story. The key phrase is “I recommended,” which translates into more actions that lead to more sales. Bingo!
Why have I felt so compelled to focus on this one brand? It’s really quite simple. This brand has forged an emotional connection with me. I honestly want to buy as many shoes as I ca,n because I know I am doing something good at the same time.
I challenge more advertisers to tell inspiring and meaningful brand stories, particularly among digital channels, that leave a long-lasting impression on consumers. As a result, they can let their consumers do all the talking or shall I say marketing. The key is to tell a story that matters to consumers.
- Pingback from Brand Storytelling at Its Finest | RssB1
There’s something quite powerful and compelling about a CEO that is capable of stepping up and becoming the brand’s true champion. We believe podcasting is a great way for a business owner to start. To shine a light on the CEO, we pair them up with a radio professional that can interview them. It’s a whole lot easier to be interviewed than it is to prepare a written podcast and try to deliver it without sounding canned. Once the content is spoken into existence it can be repurposed in many ways including articles, reports, white papers. Podcasting this way for 10 minutes per week will result in almost 80,000 words in a year. That’s enough to start focusing some Rock Star appeal to a CEO.
- Pingback from Brand Storytelling at Its Finest -- TOMS Shoes | The New Wave of Business Sense! | Scoop.it
Leave a Comment
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market?
- Paid to Post? What the Social Workforce Means for All of Us
- Take the Time to Do Native Right
- Big Brands Have the Edge in Search Engine Results
- Disappointing Black Friday Sales? It’s Not Too Late to Profit from the Holidays
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- IAB Releases Native Advertising Playbook December 4th 2013 NEW YORK, December 4, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Native has become [...] more »
- Appia Launches Native Ads for App Discovery December 4th 2013 DURHAM, NC, December 4, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Appia, the leading mobile user [...] more »
- Kitara Media Acquires Healthguru.Com; Combined Business 2014 Revenues Estimated At $50MM December 4th 2013 Kitara Media Acquires Top Health Video Site HealthGuru.com from Kitara [...] more »
- Lenovo Names TubeMogul Its Global Partner for Programmatic Video Advertising December 4th 2013 EMERYVILLE, Calif., December 4, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Today, TubeMogul was [...] more »
- Lionsgate Partners with Mobiquity to Promote ‘Ender’s Game,’ ‘Divergence’ December 4th 2013 ADOTAS — One of the year’s most anticipated films, “Ender’s [...] more »
- LiveRail Touts $100 Million Run Rate, Preps for IPO in 2014 December 4th 2013 ADOTAS — The demand for programmatic advertising has exploded, with [...] more »
- Infographic: Branded Video Sharing Almost 50X Higher In 2013 Than In 2006 December 4th 2013 NEW YORK, December 4, 2013 (ADOTAS) — The sharing of [...] more »
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Paid to Post? What the Social Workforce Means for All of Us December 4th 2013
- Take the Time to Do Native Right December 2nd 2013
- Big Brands Have the Edge in Search Engine Results December 2nd 2013
- Disappointing Black Friday Sales? It’s Not Too Late to Profit from the Holidays December 2nd 2013
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Audience Development Manager
- Marketing Manager
- Big Brands Have the Edge in Search Engine Results « egy: [...] Permalink [...]
- How to improve your website's SEO - Business Record |: [...] the sites don't really …The 10 Most Cringe-Worthy SEO Myths Ever ToldBusiness 2 CommunityBig
- Gamers Gain Elite Status with Cadillac Campaign | Raldo Loijens: [...] a push to brand the elite gamers as Cadillac Elite. Cadillac Elite is being
- David: I hope my SEO-customers with semi-big brands do not read this - they might be