Quick Hits: Is Drunk Ecommerce Up?, Facebook Ads and Self-Image, Google Sued Over Secure Shopping Concepts
ADOTAS - Yesterday, the New York Times reported on the patently self-evident fact that people are more inclined to spend money when they’re inebriated. (If you need stats, the article points to a study conducted by British comparison shopping site Kelkoo that says nearly half of respondents in the U.K. admitted to shopping online after drinking.) What’s more illuminating is how retailers might be responding to that. ChannelAdvisor, which provides software that helps retailers sell their goods online, has said its orders peak at 8 p.m. (presumably after happy hour?) and that orders for 9 p.m. to midnight are up this year from 2010; the article lists a number of email promotions from higher-end retailers — Saks, Gilt Groupe, Neiman Marcus — that landed in inboxes between 6 p.m. and 2:30 a.m. Now, though anyone who’s ever had three drinks on a payday will probably recognize how effortless (triumphant, even) it feels to order anything online in such a situation, it’s worth pointing out that the hours referenced in the Times story are simply times when people who work nine-to-fivers are at home, and thus are in a much better position to conduct personal business than they are when they’re at work. Then again, that’s not as much fun as imagining a bunch of drunk people ogling bathmats on an Amazon store late at night.
• In other news of things that make sense, Facebook‘s blog today mentions a Journal of Consumer Research study that says people identify more personally with brands whose ads pop up on their own Facebook pages than they do with brands whose ads appear on strangers’ pages. To take it a step farther, the higher a person’s self esteem, the more they’ll identify with those brands advertised on their own pages. The concept this hinges on is implicit self-referencing, and the premise goes like this: If you have healthy self esteem, you’ll feel positive emotions when you look at your own Facebook profile. That lends itself to a positive association with the brands whose ads show on up your profile, especially if those brands have some connection to your self-identity.
• Google’s being sued for patent infringement, and the way buySAFE, the company bringing the suit, puts it, it sounds strikingly personal. Here’s the gist: buySAFE offers a secure online shopping service, which the company says is unique and protected by patent law. Since 2006, the lawsuit says, Google had tried to partner with buySAFE. buySAFE eventually shelved those talks, but, says the suit, those discussions plus Google’s 2010 recruitment of the then-COO of a buySAFE client company granted Google enough proprietary information to launch its own copycat service. You know it as Google Trusted Stores. Or maybe you don’t — Google Trusted Stores just launched in October. And yet, the lawsuit goes on to accuse Google of timing its launch of Trusted Stores to “impede buySAFE’s effort to raise additional capital,” as well as giving retailers that participate in Trusted Stores a higher search ranking and telling retailers they could use either Trusted Stores or buySAFE, but not both. Here’s a copy of the lawsuit. If buySAFE is right about this, Google pulled a few pretty brazen maneuvers. And if buySAFE isn’t right, it at least put in a good hustle: They’re laying the smack down on Google Trusted Sites before the latter is even remotely a household name.
If inebriated people are determined to shop, I’d much rather they do it from home. Keeps ‘em off the streets.
- Pingback from Quick Hits: Is Drunk Ecommerce Up?, Facebook Ads and Self-Image, Google Sued Over Secure Shopping Concepts | amacadiguce
Leave a Comment
- Study: 1% of Advertisers Generate 80% of Clicks Across 10 Search Categories in US, UK and France
- Brainshark Launches Brainshark for Salesforce Work.com on Salesforce1 AppExchange
- MediaBrix Launches In-Game Ad SDK for Intel’s Latest Platform
- Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Over 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum
- Study: 1% of Advertisers Generate 80% of Clicks Across 10 Search Categories in US, UK and France March 12th 2014 ROME, March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Paid search advertising is [...] more »
- Brainshark Launches Brainshark for Salesforce Work.com on Salesforce1 AppExchange March 12th 2014 WALTHAM, Mass., March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Brainshark, Inc., the [...] more »
- MediaBrix Launches In-Game Ad SDK for Intel’s Latest Platform March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) — MediaBrix, the leading [...] more »
- Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Over 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 — Fiverr®, the world’s largest [...] more »
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum March 11th 2014 VANCOUVER, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO [...] more »
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer March 11th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Ampush, a leading [...] more »
- Big-Budget TV Ads Alone Aren’t Enough: Use Programmatic to Tell Your Brand Story March 12th 2014
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Courtesy to The Bellingham Business Journal | For Copywriters Only: [...] Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Fіnіѕhеԁ 3 Million Gigs® іn thе Palm οf Yουr
- Chris: I don't think BBTV drives success for online video creators by leveraging its proprietary technology
- Weekly RTB and Programmatic Marketing News from RTB Forums | My Blog / Website: [...] http://www.adotas.com/2014/03/sonobi-to-sponsor-premium-programmatic-event-in-nyc-next-week/ [...]
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Headlines Amazon Working on Music-Streaming ServiceThe Woman Who Scavenged SXSW For An iPadBroadbandTV