Quick Hits: China Shuts Down 206 Microblogs, AOL Merges Three Pairs of Patch Sites
According to Chinese state media, authorities there have shut down 206 microblogs, citing pornographic or “vulgar” content. More than half of the microblogs came from Weibo, a service comparable to Twitter that even limits each post to 140 Chinese characters. Reuters reports that Chinese state agency Xinhua News Agency and the State Internet Information Office said internet portals should ”refuse to be used as a platform to spread obscene material,” and they promised to keep similar pressure on internet companies.
• Meanwhile, back in the States, AOL has merged three sets of its hyperlocal Patch news sites: Franklin Lakes and Wyckoff, N.J.; Glen Rock and Ridgewoo, N.J., and Clayton and Concord, Calif. Ad Age cites an unspecified source as saying that if these mergers provide similarly unspecified desired results, AOL will execute more Patch mergers in the first quarter of 2012. Patch spokesperson Janine Iamunno said the decisions actually came from the editors of the sites in question, who had noted overlap in their respective beats. Patch had formerly projected 1,000 hyperlocal sites by the end of 1,000; currently, it has 860.
• Ad Age also published a chart today running down Google’s top advertising spenders for 2011, as estimated by Kantar Media. At the number one spot, spending over $174 million, is IAC/InterActiveCorp, which owns, among other companies, Ask.com, Match.com, and Citysearch. Amazon and A&T each spent over $100 million ($118.5 million and $115.6 million, respectively).
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Industry Veteran Simon Hayhurst Joins Rocket Fuel as SVP of Product and Business Development
- New Searchmetrics Solution Restores Keyword ‘Not Provided’ Data Taken Away by Google
- Survey: Facebook is the Most Trusted Review Platform Over Pinterest, Youtube and Twitter
- Bazaarvoice Introduces Authentic Reviews Trust Mark to Help #EndFakeReviews
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Industry Veteran Simon Hayhurst Joins Rocket Fuel as SVP of Product and Business Development December 9th 2013 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Rocket Fuel Inc., [...] more »
- New Searchmetrics Solution Restores Keyword ‘Not Provided’ Data Taken Away by Google December 9th 2013 NEW YORK, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Searchmetrics has [...] more »
- Survey: Facebook is the Most Trusted Review Platform Over Pinterest, Youtube and Twitter December 9th 2013 NEW YORK, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) — A new [...] more »
- Bazaarvoice Introduces Authentic Reviews Trust Mark to Help #EndFakeReviews December 9th 2013 AUSTIN, Texas, December 9, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Bazaarvoice, Inc. (NASDAQ:BV), [...] more »
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- Media Consolidation Is Revolutionizing Marketing December 9th 2013
- Google’s Disavow Tool: The What, Why and How December 9th 2013
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than