ADOTAS – Well, happy holidays, indeed: We’ve been hearing about a lot of high-level hires in our circles lately. Here’s a rundown of those we learned about this week. Did we miss any biggies? Let us know.
• Ben Smith will become editor-in-chief of viral media barometer BuzzFeed on Jan. 1, 2012. He’s currently a political writer for Politico, to which he’ll continue to contribute. Smith’s appointment is in line with BuzzFeed’s intended shift toward more original content and coverage.
• Roger Williams is now senior vice president of marketing for advertising optimization company Maxifier. He’ll be based out of the company’s London office. He’d previously been director of international marketing at AudienceScience.
• Email advertising company LiveIntent announced three significant hirings: Jon Beck as vice president for publisher development, Rob Adler as national sales director and David Katz as director of business development. Beck had previously been the vice president of digital for the New York Daily News and its website; Adler had held sales positions at Pandora, TVGuide.com and Maxim; and Katz had been assistant director of optimization at Cadreon.
• James Donelan has been named vice president of engineering for social-commerce-centered company Sociable Labs. Donelan comes from Lithium Technologies, where he’d held the same title.
• Digital publisher SAY Media acquired tech blog ReadWriteWeb, bringing on ReadWriteWeb editor-in-chief Richard MacManus and hiring SplatF editor-in-chief Dan Frommer as editor-at-large.
• Paul Hunter is now COO of BzzAgent, the social marketing arm of dunnhumby. Hunter previously had been dunnhumby’s CIO. In his new role, he’ll be integrating the dunnhumby operating model with BzzAgent’s business.
• William Martin-Gill is now general manager of paid search campaign management platform Kenshoo Enterprise. He had been eBay’s director of global search engine marketing.
• Jason Allen has been named senior vice president of sales and operations for location-based mobile marketing software company Proximus Mobility. He comes from Elstat, where he’d been senior vice president and global sales director.