The Importance of Distinguishing Features in Online Branding
ADOTAS – While we were writing some blogs at SocialNuggets, we thought of adding thumbnails of various tablets. Then started our search on Google and Yahoo! for images of various tablets. What we found was an utter lack of branding in the tablet marketplace — except in the case of Apple.
Here is a chart we produced with thumbnails of various tablets. Can you really recognize any of the tablets? Well, I can only recognize Apple’s iPad and none else. When I asked people who own non-iPad tablets to tell me which thumbnails pointed to their Android based tablets, most of them failed in this exercise.
How About Smartphones?
Just having an Android label to kick start the market was a great idea and it worked for smartphones. However, if you ever see an HTC phone, it does have a clock image that can be differentiated even in the smallest of the thumbnails. BlackBerry has a very unique image that distinguishes it. Samsung doesn’t have a consistent image but with the launch of Galaxy II, it is getting better at it.
So What Happened to Tablets?
Needless to say Apple is the only manufacturer whose iPad tablets have a very differentiating look no matter which angle you look at. For some reason every other tablet (sorry HTC, clock is not enough to differentiate your tablet) manufacturer went with generic Android look except for some minor differences. Even RIM chose the generic look for its Playbook, leaving it no differentiation in appearance.
Oh yes, HP folks probably recognize their blue screen which became the blue screen of death for the device. It seems Amazon has learned that lesson already and has a distinguishing image for itself. This may not be sufficient but will contribute to its success.
Rethinking Product Looks in the Age of Internet
In the age of the Internet, products are typically evaluated online first. If your product doesn’t have a unique look, it will be lost in the crowd and all of your branding exercises will merely go to waste. So before you put out a product in the market, see what its thumbnail looks like on the web when your customers search for it.
- Pingback from The Importance of Distinguishing Features in Online Branding – ADOTAS « News « Bilal's Hardware
- Pingback from Online Branding | Internet Business Blog - How to start your Online business, Tips and Resources
Leave a Comment
Adknowledge CPM Email Advertising Showing ‘Google-Like’ ResultsKANSAS CITY, Mo., December 16, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge’s email channel, AdStation, has announced CPM-based pricing for email advertisers and [...] more...
- Will Facebook’s New Promoted Videos Haul in Hundred$ of Million$? December 17th 2013 ADOTAS – If you’re a Facebook user, you’ve likely noticed [...] more »
- xAd Finds Retail Related Mobile Search Activity is 24% Greater on Christmas Eve Than Black Friday December 17th 2013 NEW YORK, December 17, 2013 (ADOTAS) – xAd, the only global [...] more »
- Sojern Secures $10 Million in Series C Funding Led by Triangle Peak Partners December 17th 2013 SAN FRANCISCO, December 17, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Sojern, the world’s [...] more »
- Lindsay Lohan Lends Star Power to ‘Just Sing It’ Re-Launch December 17th 2013 ADOTAS – Just Sing It on iOS has been re-launched [...] more »
- JiWire Raises the Bar in Mobile Advertising With Advanced Audience Targeting and ROI Solutions December 17th 2013 SAN FRANCISCO, December 17, 2013 (ADOTAS) — JiWire, the leading [...] more »
- Adblock Plus Fuels the Debate over Native Ads December 17th 2013 ADOTAS – In a move to fuel healthy industry discussion, [...] more »
- Yahoo! Announces New ‘Programmatic Guaranteed’ Partners December 16th 2013 ADOTAS – Yahoo! today announced new partner integrations with Yahoo Programmatic [...] more »
- Why The Future of Mobile Ad Tech is SaaS: 3 Lessons from Enterprise Software December 17th 2013
- Hulu Wants to Become Part of Pay-TV December 16th 2013
- Gmail Image Changes: What It Means for Marketers December 16th 2013
- From Click to Brick, How Apple’s iBeacon Changes the Ad Game December 16th 2013
- Let’s Stop Debating Whether or Not Super Bowl Ads are Worth It December 13th 2013
- Sr. Account Manager: Advertising client management
- Digital Media Specialist - Video
- Mgr Channel Planning (Social Media)
- SEO/SEM Analyst
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Jay: Hulu went from a legal alternative to PeekVid to a cable channel.
- Adblock Plus Fuels the Debate over Native Ads: [...] advertisers and publishers to define parameters for the native ad format and recently published
- SPECIAL REPORT: Ad Fraud And The Anatomy Of A Botnet « InsideDigital.org: [...] reports presage the evolution of highly specialized computer hacks yet to come. Richard L.
- VisualDNA integrates with AdapTV, Advertising.com, DataXu, Krux & Rocketfuel: [...] Krux and Rocketfuel: meaning a wider number of DSPs and now DMPs can access