ADOTAS – Supply side platform PubMatic has found the exact right fit for the new role of president: Kirk McDonald, previously president of Digital for Time. Before his tenure at Time, McDonald served as chief advertising officer of the Fortune|Money Group. Prior to that, he did some time at Microsoft, serving as senior vice president of sales, Marketing and Client Services for DRIVEpm and Atlas. Digiday’s Brian Morrissey chats with McDonald, who reiterates his belief that automation be ingrained in the premium publisher strategy.
• Cella Irvine has been named CEO of contextual advertising firm Vibrant Media. The 25-year veteran of digital media was last seen heading up the New York Times Company’s About Group, and the contextual advertising around About.com content. Prior to that, Irvine served as chief financial officer for Digitas, but even before she held executive positions at Hearst, Marsh and Prodigy. Known best for it’s in-text advertising solution, this year Vibrant has launched a contextual targeting product for display advertising as well as an on-site toolbar for delivering related social content.
• Tom Cox has been named vice president of corporate development at Gannett, taking over for the soon-retiring Dan Ehrman. Previously Cox was senior vice president/head of business development at MySpace, and prior to that was principal and co-founder of consulting firm Stratique Partners.
• Digital Agency R/GA has named Ivan Arbitam its new chief information officer. His 17 years in information technology include stints at Interbrand, BrandWizard, Draftfcb, Foote Cone & Belding New York and SixtyFoot Spider.
• Andrew Nicolaou will lead O2 Media’s client sales team and develop mobile marketing solutions as head of client strategy. Previously, Nicolaou spent three years at Microsoft Advertising as a creative media strategist. In addition, Alexandra Davies was brought over from Channel 4 to serve as O2 Media agency sales manager.
• Recently launched Metacafe Entertainment Network has brought on Jon Harrison as senior director of Midwest sales and Marisa Polin as regional sales manager for the NYC office. Harrison has previously held senior sales positions for Break Media, Fox Interactive Media and RollingStone.com, while Polin has served in media management positions at 360i Media and Media Com.
• Digital design agency Fjord announced that cofounder Mark Curtis is returning to the fold as chief client officer after a six-year tour of duty at Flirtomatic, a Fjord spinoff. Curtis previously co-founded CHBi with Fjord cofounder Mike Breeston in 1994, which was sold to Razorfish in 1998. Fjord Partner and Director Christian Lindholm recently contributed a byline to Adotas asking whether new Apple CEO Tim Cook had the “art of logic.”