ADOTAS – In a power struggle for the ages, the Interaactive Advertising Bureau has wrested control of the OpenRTB consortium from the hands of founding members DataXu, MediaMath, Turn, Admeld, PubMatic and the Rubicon Project…. What? The member organizations voluntarily handed over leadership of the project to develop industry standards for real-time bidding to the IAB? Well, I guess that’s still exciting… Was any blood spilled during the handoff? Paper cuts?
• Business-oriented social network LinkedIn has introduced status updates for company pages, as well as a certified developer program to help marketers and agencies connect with developers (such as charter partner Buddy Media) who can develop social applications for the LinkedIn platform.
• Through its new Total Audience Guarantee (TAG) program, video ad network BrightRoll guarantees a certain number of impressions will reach the target audiences (segmented by age, gender and geographic data), which is verified through comScore’s AdEffx Campaign Essentials. Video advertisers are then only charged for impressions that actually reach target audiences.
• Following new deals with advertisers like Google, FedEx and Adobe, Online and offline experiential marketing agency MKTG INC (previously known as CoActive Marketing Group) has a new executive vice president of sales in Brian Duffy, who moved over from executive vice president and managing director at Ignited. In addition, Lindsay Rowe has been promoted from brand ambassador to director of sales and marketing.
• Mobile ad network Mojiva has three new members on its advisory board: Mike Perlis, president and CEO of Forbes Media; Mike LaSalle, a partner at Shamrock Capital Advisors who also serves on the boards of INgrooves, Media Storm and Harlem Globetrotters International; and Will Wynperle, another Shamrock partner on the boards of K2 Towers and Media Storm. Earlier this week, Mojiva ad-serving arm Mocean Mobile opened the Publisher Annex, a consortium of mobile solutions companies (including Golden Gekko and Zumobi) that will provide whitepapers and event demonstrations to educate mobile publishers and devlopers.
• Experimenting with an in-banner 300 X 250 video ad, blurbIQ, which overlays questions within videos to test audience reception of brand messages, found that its “interrupting” ads had a 38% interaction rate, compared to the “industry average” of 4% (determined through a “bake-off” with a host of vendors including DoubleClick). In addition, blurbIQ’s video completion rate was over 65% (compared to 43%) and the click-through rate was 2.5% (versus 0.18%).
• A survey of 700 senior marketers (both in-house and agency) by the Branding Forward Project, a joint initiative between branding agency Mechanica and Fast Company magazine, found that 51% believe consumer-generated marketing is inherently more relevant and effective, compared to 49% who prefer the traditional agency creative approach.
• Interpublic Group has acquired social marketing agency Spring Creek Group (cofounded by Clay Daniels in 2006) through its media holding company, IPG Mediabrands. Spring Creek will keep its name and operate as part of the Mediabrands Audience Platform (previously The Audience Platform).