Lamar’s Foursquare-Powered RoadNinja Pushes Location-Based Offers to Travelers
ADOTAS – Every time the band hits the road, I promise myself a double Whopper with cheese. Maybe I’m nostalgic for my gluttonous childhood, but once I hit the highways I crave those two “flame-broiled” patties on a toasted bun with all the fix’ns (but no pickles), along with a “king-size” order of those wonderful fries and an extra large… Diet Coke. Yes, I’m one of those people.
However, many a time, the band van has chugged past highway exit after exit, desperately seeking a Burger King to no avail — when the growling of our stomachs grows louder than the road mix (Track 1: “Cars” by Gary Numan) sometimes we have to settle with Wendy’s. It’s just not the same.
But no more settling for square burgers! Lamar Advertising, best known for outdoor advertising (e.g., billboards), has moved into mobile with the just-launched RoadNinja app for the iPhone. Powered by Foursquare, the location-based app for interstate travelers informs consumers on the open road what kind of gas, food and lodging is at upcoming exits (even as far as 3,000 miles away). I will never hopelessly search for a Burger King again!
Six default categories are listed for each exit, but users can customize types of business shown with 25 additional options. In addition, RoadNinja works in social tools through ratings, reviews and Foursquare check-ins. A Facebook integration allows for easy sharing of reviews and photos to the social network.
Of course, the app is handy for retail marketers as well, which can promote their retail stops and even offer location-based discounts and deals in real-time through the Promotions section. Brands can even link their Twitter feeds to their various locations. Retailers that use Lamar’s outdoor advertising actually get free promotions within the app — Jason’s Deli is the first to take advantage of this feature.
In an interesting twist on using traditional marketing to promote a mobile service, Lamar is using 1,000 of the digital and static billboards it manages across 200 America marketplaces to promote the app — in interesting ways. A RoadNinja billboard in Baton Rouge was “attacked” by throwing stars. Bayou ninjas are out of control.
On a side note, it’s interesting that Foursquare is the engine behind this app — has the location-based mobile social network found a new revenue stream in socializing branded apps?
- Pingback from Lamar’s Foursquare-Powered Road Ninja Pushes Location-Based Offers To Travelers « billboardtastic
- Pingback from Lamar’s Foursquare-Powered RoadNinja Pushes Location-Based Offers to Travelers | Eingecheckt | Scoop.it
- Pingback from Digital | trammie
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]