Lamar’s Foursquare-Powered RoadNinja Pushes Location-Based Offers to Travelers
ADOTAS – Every time the band hits the road, I promise myself a double Whopper with cheese. Maybe I’m nostalgic for my gluttonous childhood, but once I hit the highways I crave those two “flame-broiled” patties on a toasted bun with all the fix’ns (but no pickles), along with a “king-size” order of those wonderful fries and an extra large… Diet Coke. Yes, I’m one of those people.
However, many a time, the band van has chugged past highway exit after exit, desperately seeking a Burger King to no avail — when the growling of our stomachs grows louder than the road mix (Track 1: “Cars” by Gary Numan) sometimes we have to settle with Wendy’s. It’s just not the same.
But no more settling for square burgers! Lamar Advertising, best known for outdoor advertising (e.g., billboards), has moved into mobile with the just-launched RoadNinja app for the iPhone. Powered by Foursquare, the location-based app for interstate travelers informs consumers on the open road what kind of gas, food and lodging is at upcoming exits (even as far as 3,000 miles away). I will never hopelessly search for a Burger King again!
Six default categories are listed for each exit, but users can customize types of business shown with 25 additional options. In addition, RoadNinja works in social tools through ratings, reviews and Foursquare check-ins. A Facebook integration allows for easy sharing of reviews and photos to the social network.
Of course, the app is handy for retail marketers as well, which can promote their retail stops and even offer location-based discounts and deals in real-time through the Promotions section. Brands can even link their Twitter feeds to their various locations. Retailers that use Lamar’s outdoor advertising actually get free promotions within the app — Jason’s Deli is the first to take advantage of this feature.
In an interesting twist on using traditional marketing to promote a mobile service, Lamar is using 1,000 of the digital and static billboards it manages across 200 America marketplaces to promote the app — in interesting ways. A RoadNinja billboard in Baton Rouge was “attacked” by throwing stars. Bayou ninjas are out of control.
On a side note, it’s interesting that Foursquare is the engine behind this app — has the location-based mobile social network found a new revenue stream in socializing branded apps?
- Pingback from Lamar’s Foursquare-Powered Road Ninja Pushes Location-Based Offers To Travelers « billboardtastic
- Pingback from Lamar’s Foursquare-Powered RoadNinja Pushes Location-Based Offers to Travelers | Eingecheckt | Scoop.it
- Pingback from Digital | trammie
Leave a Comment
Lamar’s Foursquare-Powered RoadNinja Pushes Location-Based Offers to TravelersADOTAS – Every time the band hits the road, I promise myself a double Whopper with cheese. Maybe I’m nostalgic [...] more...
- From the Twitterverse: Gamers Hate On Xbox One May 21st 2013 ADOTAS – Microsoft has unveiled Xbox One, its next-generation entertainment [...] more »
- Brands & the Next Internet Wave: What You Need To Know May 21st 2013 ADOTAS – For brand managers and marketers, the Internet has [...] more »
- Blogshare: Why Tumblr Will Make Yahoo Billions May 21st 2013 ADOTAS (via WordStream) — Here’s why I think Yahoo is [...] more »
- Study: Xbox Reveal Sparks More Social Buzz than Galaxy S4 and Facebook ‘Phone’ Combined May 21st 2013 ADOTAS — The new Xbox gaming console, which will be [...] more »
- Video: Xbox Reveal, 5/21/13 May 21st 2013 ADOTAS – Microsoft unveiled its next-generation Xbox today at a [...] more »
- Live Twitter Feed from Internet Week New York May 20th 2013 ADOTAS – This year’s Internet Week New York (#IWNY) will [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Implications of Yahoo’s Tumblr Acquisition? May 20th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’ve solicited comments from industry leaders in [...] more »
- Brands & the Next Internet Wave: What You Need To Know May 21st 2013
- Blogshare: Why Tumblr Will Make Yahoo Billions May 21st 2013
- Preview: What’s Happening at Internet Week New York 2013 May 20th 2013
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit May 17th 2013
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships May 17th 2013
- Print and Web Manager
- SEO Marketing PPC Specialist
- Marketing Summer Internship at Clean-Tech Educatio
- Service Line Manager - Digital Media
- SEO / SEM Specialist
- Study: Xbox Reveal Sparks More Social Buzz than Galaxy S4 and Facebook ‘Phone’ Combined: [...] — The new Xbox gaming console, which will be unveiled today, has produced 66,000
- Ben Straley responds to Implications of Yahoo’s Tumblr Acquisition? - Rio SEO Blog: [...] Original article posted here [...]
- New Solution to OpenX OnRamp Shutdown | Adcolt: [...] http://www.adotas.com/2013/02/update-malware-attack-permanently-shuts-down-openx-onramp/ Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading... This entry was posted in Uncategorized
- Pinterest Roundup — May 2013 | Technology for Publishing LLC: [...] Early Pinterest Analytics Show Brand Potential [...]