Lamar’s Foursquare-Powered RoadNinja Pushes Location-Based Offers to Travelers
ADOTAS – Every time the band hits the road, I promise myself a double Whopper with cheese. Maybe I’m nostalgic for my gluttonous childhood, but once I hit the highways I crave those two “flame-broiled” patties on a toasted bun with all the fix’ns (but no pickles), along with a “king-size” order of those wonderful fries and an extra large… Diet Coke. Yes, I’m one of those people.
However, many a time, the band van has chugged past highway exit after exit, desperately seeking a Burger King to no avail — when the growling of our stomachs grows louder than the road mix (Track 1: “Cars” by Gary Numan) sometimes we have to settle with Wendy’s. It’s just not the same.
But no more settling for square burgers! Lamar Advertising, best known for outdoor advertising (e.g., billboards), has moved into mobile with the just-launched RoadNinja app for the iPhone. Powered by Foursquare, the location-based app for interstate travelers informs consumers on the open road what kind of gas, food and lodging is at upcoming exits (even as far as 3,000 miles away). I will never hopelessly search for a Burger King again!
Six default categories are listed for each exit, but users can customize types of business shown with 25 additional options. In addition, RoadNinja works in social tools through ratings, reviews and Foursquare check-ins. A Facebook integration allows for easy sharing of reviews and photos to the social network.
Of course, the app is handy for retail marketers as well, which can promote their retail stops and even offer location-based discounts and deals in real-time through the Promotions section. Brands can even link their Twitter feeds to their various locations. Retailers that use Lamar’s outdoor advertising actually get free promotions within the app — Jason’s Deli is the first to take advantage of this feature.
In an interesting twist on using traditional marketing to promote a mobile service, Lamar is using 1,000 of the digital and static billboards it manages across 200 America marketplaces to promote the app — in interesting ways. A RoadNinja billboard in Baton Rouge was “attacked” by throwing stars. Bayou ninjas are out of control.
On a side note, it’s interesting that Foursquare is the engine behind this app — has the location-based mobile social network found a new revenue stream in socializing branded apps?
- Pingback from Lamar’s Foursquare-Powered Road Ninja Pushes Location-Based Offers To Travelers « billboardtastic
- Pingback from Lamar’s Foursquare-Powered RoadNinja Pushes Location-Based Offers to Travelers | Eingecheckt | Scoop.it
- Pingback from Digital | trammie
Leave a Comment
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013 ADOTAS — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than