Yahoo!-AOL-Microsoft: Little Collaboration Necessary
ADOTAS – There’s lots of buzz in the industry about the Yahoo, Microsoft and AOL collaboration recently announced. By all accounts, this is an effort to catch up to and compete with the Google display advertising juggernaut.
When I first heard the announcement, I was dubious. Like tying the Hindenburg to the Titanic was the thought that came to mind. How could these players possibly join together and work collaboratively when they can often barely work within their own four walls effectively?
But as I thought more about it, I think the answer is actually quite simple and elegant: they don’t have to.
If they’re doing what I now think they’re going to do, the partnership will have the following features:
- High-quality RTB inventory;
- Exclusively available inventory (that is, inventory that isn’t available on any other exchange); and
- A platform that the industry has widely adopted and is currently leveraging with their existing bidders.
Here’s the simple beauty of this solution – there is really not much required collaboration between the companies other than basic rules, floors and making the inventory available in an exclusive fashion. They can get it in their own way!
At the same time, advertisers and trading desks will be all but forced to use it. There’s just too much scale to ignore and there is no downside and only upside to accessing this inventory in addition to the other exchange inventory.
Let’s face it, the only reason the Right Media Exchange even still matters at all today is because it’s the only way to get Yahoo Class 2 inventory in a somewhat programmatic fashion. In a similar vein, if access to Yahoo, AOL and Microsoft owned and operated inventory MUST come through this platform, then the trading desks must use it.
Then the final whammy: Facebook. If Team YahMicAOL isn’t talking to Facebook yet, they will be soon. Facebook inventory won’t be going to Google, and if they can control the environment through the right platform, they could be the ultimate addition to this unlikely triumvirate.
Neil Mohan at Google sounded unfazed in his response. I’m now beginning to be dubious about that.
Nice (easy to understand) article. but…
Few know of or, want to fully digest the fact that (already), there’s an independent global marketplace (and the right platform?) that I feel is being quietly nurtured along.
One, that’s already receiving direct search Intent Data on 3 Billion Search Queries/day (& it is coming from off of both the Google & Yahoo =’s Bing search engines), that can then get to include both Facebook & Google alongside Yahoo, AOL and Microsoft owned & operated inventory, within the one huge performance marketplace.
Leave a Comment
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013 ADOTAS — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Audience Development Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than