Yahoo!-AOL-Microsoft: Little Collaboration Necessary
ADOTAS – There’s lots of buzz in the industry about the Yahoo, Microsoft and AOL collaboration recently announced. By all accounts, this is an effort to catch up to and compete with the Google display advertising juggernaut.
When I first heard the announcement, I was dubious. Like tying the Hindenburg to the Titanic was the thought that came to mind. How could these players possibly join together and work collaboratively when they can often barely work within their own four walls effectively?
But as I thought more about it, I think the answer is actually quite simple and elegant: they don’t have to.
If they’re doing what I now think they’re going to do, the partnership will have the following features:
- High-quality RTB inventory;
- Exclusively available inventory (that is, inventory that isn’t available on any other exchange); and
- A platform that the industry has widely adopted and is currently leveraging with their existing bidders.
Here’s the simple beauty of this solution – there is really not much required collaboration between the companies other than basic rules, floors and making the inventory available in an exclusive fashion. They can get it in their own way!
At the same time, advertisers and trading desks will be all but forced to use it. There’s just too much scale to ignore and there is no downside and only upside to accessing this inventory in addition to the other exchange inventory.
Let’s face it, the only reason the Right Media Exchange even still matters at all today is because it’s the only way to get Yahoo Class 2 inventory in a somewhat programmatic fashion. In a similar vein, if access to Yahoo, AOL and Microsoft owned and operated inventory MUST come through this platform, then the trading desks must use it.
Then the final whammy: Facebook. If Team YahMicAOL isn’t talking to Facebook yet, they will be soon. Facebook inventory won’t be going to Google, and if they can control the environment through the right platform, they could be the ultimate addition to this unlikely triumvirate.
Neil Mohan at Google sounded unfazed in his response. I’m now beginning to be dubious about that.
Nice (easy to understand) article. but…
Few know of or, want to fully digest the fact that (already), there’s an independent global marketplace (and the right platform?) that I feel is being quietly nurtured along.
One, that’s already receiving direct search Intent Data on 3 Billion Search Queries/day (& it is coming from off of both the Google & Yahoo =’s Bing search engines), that can then get to include both Facebook & Google alongside Yahoo, AOL and Microsoft owned & operated inventory, within the one huge performance marketplace.
Leave a Comment
- Personalization Isn’t Creepy; It’s a Reality & a Necessity for Success
- Big-Budget TV Ads Alone Aren’t Enough: Use Programmatic to Tell Your Brand Story
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me!
- Lotame and Optimizely Partner for Website Content Optimization and Personalization March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Lotame today announced [...] more »
- Study: 1% of Advertisers Generate 80% of Clicks Across 10 Search Categories in US, UK and France March 12th 2014 ROME, March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Paid search advertising is [...] more »
- Brainshark Launches Brainshark for Salesforce Work.com on Salesforce1 AppExchange March 12th 2014 WALTHAM, Mass., March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Brainshark, Inc., the [...] more »
- MediaBrix Launches In-Game Ad SDK for Intel’s Latest Platform March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) — MediaBrix, the leading [...] more »
- Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Over 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 — Fiverr®, the world’s largest [...] more »
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum March 11th 2014 VANCOUVER, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO [...] more »
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Personalization Isn’t Creepy; It’s a Reality & a Necessity for Success March 12th 2014
- Big-Budget TV Ads Alone Aren’t Enough: Use Programmatic to Tell Your Brand Story March 12th 2014
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Courtesy to The Bellingham Business Journal | For Copywriters Only: [...] Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Fіnіѕhеԁ 3 Million Gigs® іn thе Palm οf Yουr
- Chris: I don't think BBTV drives success for online video creators by leveraging its proprietary technology
- Weekly RTB and Programmatic Marketing News from RTB Forums | My Blog / Website: [...] http://www.adotas.com/2014/03/sonobi-to-sponsor-premium-programmatic-event-in-nyc-next-week/ [...]
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Headlines Amazon Working on Music-Streaming ServiceThe Woman Who Scavenged SXSW For An iPadBroadbandTV