McGrory Joins Clearspring, Right Media’s Future Still Not Clear
ADOTAS – After announcing his departure from Yahoo! earlier this month, Ramsey McGrory, the former head of the Right Media Exchange and North American sales as well as one of the few remaining pre-acquisition vets, has stepped into the CEO’s chair at Clearspring.
Headquartered in McLean, VA (where incidentally I went to high school — Ramsey, even though you’re staying up in NYC, I can show you a great spot out in the McLean woods if you want to drink cans of Natty Light and smoke without your parents finding out), Clearspring is behind social sharing platform AddThis. The company is having a pretty good year, with an additional $20 million in Series D funding in the bank, a recent move into mobile, a social data sharing partnership with BlueKai and the launch of a real-time analytics platform for publishers — and that’s just since May.
“In our industry, data and social are where incredible innovation is happening. I’m thrilled to be joining Clearspring. Clearspring has a fantastic team and a differentiated ability to understand online consumer behavior through its massive reach and real-time data processing capability,” said McGrory. “This is exciting because Clearspring’s premier digital services platform has not only proven to be powerful in the advertising market, but also it has the potential to disrupt others as well.”
McGrory’s exit from Right Media was pretty low-key — especially considering how much he stood up for team Y! over the years — but in the post-Carol Bartz era of Yahoo!, the prospects for Right Media are pretty hazy. It’s been nearly a month and no one has been named to fill McGrory’s shoes.
With Yahoo’s display crown lost to Facebook and Google and revenue sliding thanks to a sales re-org gone awry, the rumor mill has been spinning uncontrollably with talk about Right Media being spun out of Yahoo!. I had a few sources whisper to me about support issues — emails never being responded to, the main phone line ringing endlessly without hitting a receptionist or voicemail. In a recent Adotas poll asking about Right Media’s future with Yahoo!, the most popular response was, “What? Yahoo! owns Right Media?”
Bizo CEO Russell Glass wrote today on Adotas that “the only reason the Right Media Exchange even still matters at all today is because it’s the only way to get Yahoo Class 2 inventory in a somewhat programmatic fashion.”
However, at Yahoo!’s 2011 Global Partner Summit earlier this month, EVP of Americas Ross Levinsohn — who we have money on to be the next permanent CEO (though there’s some gossipy stuff going round about CFO and interim CEO Tim Morse if you like that kind of thing) — attempted to stamp out rumors about the sale or spinoff of Right Media. And yet they persist…
(Interestingly enough, McGrory’s predecessor Bill Wise also earned a new CEO position today at MediaOcean, formed from the merger of Donovan Data Systems and MediaBank.)
- Pingback from Is Interclick Yahoo!’s Remnant Revenue Savior?
Leave a Comment
- IAB Releases Native Advertising Playbook
- Appia Launches Native Ads for App Discovery
- Kitara Media Acquires Healthguru.Com; Combined Business 2014 Revenues Estimated At $50MM
- Lenovo Names TubeMogul Its Global Partner for Programmatic Video Advertising
- Lionsgate Partners with Mobiquity to Promote ‘Ender’s Game,’ ‘Divergence’
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- IAB Releases Native Advertising Playbook December 4th 2013 NEW YORK, December 4, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Native has become [...] more »
- Appia Launches Native Ads for App Discovery December 4th 2013 DURHAM, NC, December 4, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Appia, the leading mobile user [...] more »
- Kitara Media Acquires Healthguru.Com; Combined Business 2014 Revenues Estimated At $50MM December 4th 2013 Kitara Media Acquires Top Health Video Site HealthGuru.com from Kitara [...] more »
- Lenovo Names TubeMogul Its Global Partner for Programmatic Video Advertising December 4th 2013 EMERYVILLE, Calif., December 4, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Today, TubeMogul was [...] more »
- Lionsgate Partners with Mobiquity to Promote ‘Ender’s Game,’ ‘Divergence’ December 4th 2013 ADOTAS — One of the year’s most anticipated films, “Ender’s [...] more »
- LiveRail Touts $100 Million Run Rate, Preps for IPO in 2014 December 4th 2013 ADOTAS — The demand for programmatic advertising has exploded, with [...] more »
- Infographic: Branded Video Sharing Almost 50X Higher In 2013 Than In 2006 December 4th 2013 NEW YORK, December 4, 2013 (ADOTAS) — The sharing of [...] more »
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Paid to Post? What the Social Workforce Means for All of Us December 4th 2013
- Take the Time to Do Native Right December 2nd 2013
- Big Brands Have the Edge in Search Engine Results December 2nd 2013
- Disappointing Black Friday Sales? It’s Not Too Late to Profit from the Holidays December 2nd 2013
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Audience Development Manager
- Marketing Manager
- Content Marketer
- Big Brands Have the Edge in Search Engine Results « egy: [...] Permalink [...]
- How to improve your website's SEO - Business Record |: [...] the sites don't really …The 10 Most Cringe-Worthy SEO Myths Ever ToldBusiness 2 CommunityBig
- Gamers Gain Elite Status with Cadillac Campaign | Raldo Loijens: [...] a push to brand the elite gamers as Cadillac Elite. Cadillac Elite is being
- David: I hope my SEO-customers with semi-big brands do not read this - they might be