KIT Aims for Multiscreen Glory Via Social TV Platform
ADOTAS – After a long summer of trying to care about Major League Baseball, I was absolutely thrilled by the return of professional football this weekend — highlighted by my hometown Washington Redskins delivering a second-half thumping to the New York Giants. (I root for my current city’s other team because they’re not divisional rivals to the red and gold.)
Although the game was pretty exciting, during the lulls in action I found myself heading to ESPN.go.com on my iPhone and checking out the stats across the league. (How could Cam Newton kick so much ass and still not get the Carolina Panthers a victory?)
Sporting events — especially American ones because they tend to have a lot of pauses — have become model venues for the multi-screen experience as viewers keep one eye on the TV while browsing supplementary content on an Internet-connected device. Not surprising, content producers and marketers alike are interested in how to spur and monetize such engagement by synching the two screens.
“We get it — consumers are multitasking,” comments KIT Digital EVP of Marketing Gannon Hall, who authored a prescient piece on online video for Adotas last year. “I’ve noticed I do it with my iPad, looking up stuff while I watch TV. The issue is that my device and the TV aren’t connected, but the tech is there. So let’s use it to synchronize experience and discover how consumers use both devices at once.”
Enter KIT’s Social TV platform, which debuted last Friday at the IBC 2011 conference. The solution enables TV content producers to link second-screen companion content and applications designed to enhance the viewing experience. For starters, apps could be real-time supplementary guides that include social media streams and even ecommerce functionalities.
However, it’s the marketing aspects that seem most exciting: imagine a TV commercial that syncs with a mobile device application to deliver targeted advertising based on profile information.
“Bringing social experiences from the Internet to the TV in the living room is not just creating opportunities for user activity,” Hall adds. “There are big revenue opportunities there too.”
The Social TV platform is part of a slew of recent announcements hailing the integration of KIT’s many acquisitions made earlier this year, including mobile publishing software developer Kyte, social app and widget builder KickApps, multichannel video asset manager Kewego and video asset manager Ioko. As CEO Kaleil Isaza Tuzman explained when KIT began this shopping spree, the goal was to build end-to-end online and mobile video management solutions for medium-sized and enterprise clients.
Thus, the KIT Video Platform has emerged as a tool for broadcasters, content owners and network operators to manage optimal video delivery across Internet platforms and connected devices — from online video players to Internet-connected television to mobile devices.
The service — for smaller content producers and distributors looking for a straightforward and simple entry into the broadband video space, KIT Cloud is the turnkey, cloud-based offering probably most up their alley. KIT Cosmos, on the hand, is a customizable and modular solution for delivery of broadcast-worthy IPTV and multiscreen initiatives through “hybrid” cloud and managed private cloud deployments.
In addition, the platform allows publishers to monetize their video inventory with flexible advertising, pay-per-view and subscription based models, while supporting the integration of third-party ad platforms and standard formats. There’s even support for live video streaming.
Clients can further build linked social initiatives such as forums, widgets and social network add-ons. Launched in tandem is the KIT Connected Device Framework, which includes an SDK for enabling multiscreen initiatives across Internet-connected devices as well as app templates.
- Pingback from Latest Cloud Widget News | Cloud Streaming
Leave a Comment
- Brainshark Launches Brainshark for Salesforce Work.com on Salesforce1 AppExchange
- MediaBrix Launches In-Game Ad SDK for Intel’s Latest Platform
- Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Over 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development
- Brainshark Launches Brainshark for Salesforce Work.com on Salesforce1 AppExchange March 12th 2014 WALTHAM, Mass., March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Brainshark, Inc., the [...] more »
- MediaBrix Launches In-Game Ad SDK for Intel’s Latest Platform March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) — MediaBrix, the leading [...] more »
- Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Over 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 — Fiverr®, the world’s largest [...] more »
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum March 11th 2014 VANCOUVER, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO [...] more »
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer March 11th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Ampush, a leading [...] more »
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting March 11th 2014 ADOTAS – You may already know that Facebook Exchange (FBX) [...] more »
- Big-Budget TV Ads Alone Aren’t Enough: Use Programmatic to Tell Your Brand Story March 12th 2014
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Courtesy to The Bellingham Business Journal | For Copywriters Only: [...] Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Fіnіѕhеԁ 3 Million Gigs® іn thе Palm οf Yουr
- Chris: I don't think BBTV drives success for online video creators by leveraging its proprietary technology
- Weekly RTB and Programmatic Marketing News from RTB Forums | My Blog / Website: [...] http://www.adotas.com/2014/03/sonobi-to-sponsor-premium-programmatic-event-in-nyc-next-week/ [...]
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Headlines Amazon Working on Music-Streaming ServiceThe Woman Who Scavenged SXSW For An iPadBroadbandTV