KIT Aims for Multiscreen Glory Via Social TV Platform
ADOTAS – After a long summer of trying to care about Major League Baseball, I was absolutely thrilled by the return of professional football this weekend — highlighted by my hometown Washington Redskins delivering a second-half thumping to the New York Giants. (I root for my current city’s other team because they’re not divisional rivals to the red and gold.)
Although the game was pretty exciting, during the lulls in action I found myself heading to ESPN.go.com on my iPhone and checking out the stats across the league. (How could Cam Newton kick so much ass and still not get the Carolina Panthers a victory?)
Sporting events — especially American ones because they tend to have a lot of pauses — have become model venues for the multi-screen experience as viewers keep one eye on the TV while browsing supplementary content on an Internet-connected device. Not surprising, content producers and marketers alike are interested in how to spur and monetize such engagement by synching the two screens.
“We get it — consumers are multitasking,” comments KIT Digital EVP of Marketing Gannon Hall, who authored a prescient piece on online video for Adotas last year. “I’ve noticed I do it with my iPad, looking up stuff while I watch TV. The issue is that my device and the TV aren’t connected, but the tech is there. So let’s use it to synchronize experience and discover how consumers use both devices at once.”
Enter KIT’s Social TV platform, which debuted last Friday at the IBC 2011 conference. The solution enables TV content producers to link second-screen companion content and applications designed to enhance the viewing experience. For starters, apps could be real-time supplementary guides that include social media streams and even ecommerce functionalities.
However, it’s the marketing aspects that seem most exciting: imagine a TV commercial that syncs with a mobile device application to deliver targeted advertising based on profile information.
“Bringing social experiences from the Internet to the TV in the living room is not just creating opportunities for user activity,” Hall adds. “There are big revenue opportunities there too.”
The Social TV platform is part of a slew of recent announcements hailing the integration of KIT’s many acquisitions made earlier this year, including mobile publishing software developer Kyte, social app and widget builder KickApps, multichannel video asset manager Kewego and video asset manager Ioko. As CEO Kaleil Isaza Tuzman explained when KIT began this shopping spree, the goal was to build end-to-end online and mobile video management solutions for medium-sized and enterprise clients.
Thus, the KIT Video Platform has emerged as a tool for broadcasters, content owners and network operators to manage optimal video delivery across Internet platforms and connected devices — from online video players to Internet-connected television to mobile devices.
The service — for smaller content producers and distributors looking for a straightforward and simple entry into the broadband video space, KIT Cloud is the turnkey, cloud-based offering probably most up their alley. KIT Cosmos, on the hand, is a customizable and modular solution for delivery of broadcast-worthy IPTV and multiscreen initiatives through “hybrid” cloud and managed private cloud deployments.
In addition, the platform allows publishers to monetize their video inventory with flexible advertising, pay-per-view and subscription based models, while supporting the integration of third-party ad platforms and standard formats. There’s even support for live video streaming.
Clients can further build linked social initiatives such as forums, widgets and social network add-ons. Launched in tandem is the KIT Connected Device Framework, which includes an SDK for enabling multiscreen initiatives across Internet-connected devices as well as app templates.
- Pingback from Latest Cloud Widget News | Cloud Streaming
Leave a Comment
- Social Media Consultants Have a Vested Pinterest in Your Brand’s Success
- Nikki’s Picks to Click: Facebook Ad Milestone, Twitter Spot Ads, Big Data Problems
- Four Tips For Success With Cloud-Backed Digital Campaigns
- Infographic: Martini Media and comScore Release Affluent Spending Data
- Amazon Launches Social Gifting Service to Compete with Facebook Gifts
- Social Media Consultants Have a Vested Pinterest in Your Brand’s Success June 19th 2013 ADOTAS – Have social media platforms pinterested you in how [...] more »
- Nikki’s Picks to Click: Facebook Ad Milestone, Twitter Spot Ads, Big Data Problems June 19th 2013 ADOTAS EDITOR’S NOTE: Editorial Intern Nikki Frammartino routinely scours online media for [...] more »
- Four Tips For Success With Cloud-Backed Digital Campaigns June 19th 2013 ADOTAS – Advertising legend David Ogilvy once said, “If it [...] more »
- Infographic: Martini Media and comScore Release Affluent Spending Data June 19th 2013 SAN FRANCISCO AND NEW YORK, June 19, 2013 (ADOTAS) — [...] more »
- Amazon Launches Social Gifting Service to Compete with Facebook Gifts June 19th 2013 ADOTAS — Did you forget that your friend’s birthday is [...] more »
- Upcoming Event and Conference Calendar June 19th 2013 ADOTAS -– Here’s a snapshot of upcoming industry events. Further [...] more »
- Big Data’s Killer App: Mobile RTB June 18th 2013 ADOTAS – As you may have noticed, mobile real-time bidding [...] more »
- Social Media Consultants Have a Vested Pinterest in Your Brand’s Success June 19th 2013
- Four Tips For Success With Cloud-Backed Digital Campaigns June 19th 2013
- Amazon Launches Social Gifting Service to Compete with Facebook Gifts June 19th 2013
- Big Data’s Killer App: Mobile RTB June 18th 2013
- How SMBs Can Keep Up With Mobile Commerce June 18th 2013
- Vice President, Business Development
- SEO / SEM Marketing Manager
- Director of Business Valuation - Financial Advisor
- SEO / SEM Marketing Manager
- Marketing Research Analyst
- Mediasmith - » Mediasmith -: [...] Medialets As Official 3rd-Party Server For Mobile/Tablet Advertising NEW YORK, June
- ReputationArmor.net - Online Reputation Management, Mobile Marketing, Domain Registration, Web Hosting, Social Engagement, and SMS Marketing Campaigns that work !!!: [...] Video: Small Business Should Visualize the Use of QR CodesADOTAS, on Mon, 17 Jun
- #Facebook #Hashtags #FTW? – Search Engine Watch | - Suaju Lean Management: [...] (FB) Wants to Wipe Twitter Off the Map…StreetInsider.com (subscription) (blog)ADOTAS -PerformanceIN -Patch.comall 16 news [...]
- #Facebook #Hashtags #FTW? – Search Engine Watch | Social Commerce Tomorrow - Media Marketing: [...] (FB) Wants to Wipe Twitter Off the Map…StreetInsider.com (subscription) (blog)ADOTAS -PerformanceIN -Patch.comall 16 news [...]