Third-Party Facebook Mobile Apps Get a Lot of Use
ADOTAS – I hate the Facebook app for the iPhone, or at least I hate my copy of it. It’s glitchy as hell, slow as (molasses) and a pain in the ass to navigate. When I need some Facebook action on-the-go, I’ve taken to using the mobile website.
I occasionally have used Tweetdeck to post to my newsfeed, but I haven’t given a lot of thought to using third-party apps to get on the social network. Interestingly enough, some research by Benedict Evans suggests that half as many Facebookers use third-party apps to do their social networking as official Facebook apps.
According to Facebook, 250 million users access the social network via a mobile device daily; Evans research turned up about 222 million users, which leads him to estimate that 28 million are using Facebook on the mobile web.
However, he admits that the numbers he dug up from Facebook are by device and app, making for potential overlap. So, if you access Facebook via both your iPad and your iPhone, you’d be counted twice as a mobile user in Evans’ research. Evans comments he’s sure Facebook has “de-duped” the figures but isn’t sharing; while he doesn’t think the duped numbers are significant, he admits that mobile web users are higher than 28 million.
Then he adds: “But if we take only the official apps (and hence remove any possible duplication), we still get to about 200m app users versus 50m mobile web users.”
The point is that app access in general is monumentally higher than mobile website access, which shouldn’t come as a surprise. However, the relatively impressive amount of access with third-party apps should be of interest to advertisers. You may have noticed that Facebook doesn’t serve ads on its mobile app (or website).
Ad.ly messed around with third-party mobile social network advertising last year but admitted that the landscape was less than fruitful. Smartphone proliferation continues, however, with Android reportedly powering 50% of the world’s smartphones — it’s likely that the number of third-party Facebook app users will also continue to grow. Perhaps it’s a good time to re-examine the space.
- Pingback from Facebook Blackberry App Not Working « My Facebook Blog
Leave a Comment
- Six Mistakes You’re Making with Landing Pages
- Wired to Share: New Research from ShareThis and Digitas Reveals Important Insights into Digital Sharing Behavior of Moms
- Coverage of Microsoft’s Xbox Reveal Drives Spike in Adotas Readership
- Does Mobile Display Even Work? How Geo-Location and Cross-Platform Ads Will Change the Game
- Upcoming Event and Conference Calendar
An Interview with Jasper Mullarney, VP of Direct Response Advertising, AdknowledgeADOTAS — Industry Veteran Jasper Mullarney is Vice President of Direct Response for Adknowledge, the fourth-largest digital marketplace behind only [...] more...
- Six Mistakes You’re Making with Landing Pages May 22nd 2013 ADOTAS — Landing pages represent the tipping point for affiliate [...] more »
- Wired to Share: New Research from ShareThis and Digitas Reveals Important Insights into Digital Sharing Behavior of Moms May 22nd 2013 PALO ALTO, CALIF., May 22, 2013 (ADOTAS) – In one [...] more »
- Coverage of Microsoft’s Xbox Reveal Drives Spike in Adotas Readership May 22nd 2013 ADOTAS – Yesterday, just prior to Microsoft’s press conference introducing [...] more »
- Does Mobile Display Even Work? How Geo-Location and Cross-Platform Ads Will Change the Game May 22nd 2013 ADOTAS — The potential of mobile advertising is huge. And [...] more »
- Upcoming Event and Conference Calendar May 22nd 2013 ADOTAS – Here’s a snapshot of upcoming industry events. Further [...] more »
- From the Twitterverse: Gamers Hate On Xbox One May 21st 2013 ADOTAS – Microsoft has unveiled Xbox One, its next-generation entertainment [...] more »
- Brands & the Next Internet Wave: What You Need To Know May 21st 2013 ADOTAS – For brand managers and marketers, the Internet has [...] more »
- Six Mistakes You’re Making with Landing Pages May 22nd 2013
- Does Mobile Display Even Work? How Geo-Location and Cross-Platform Ads Will Change the Game May 22nd 2013
- Brands & the Next Internet Wave: What You Need To Know May 21st 2013
- Blogshare: Why Tumblr Will Make Yahoo Billions May 21st 2013
- Preview: What’s Happening at Internet Week New York 2013 May 20th 2013
- Client Relationship Manager
- Print and Web Manager
- SEO Marketing PPC Specialist
- Marketing Summer Internship at Clean-Tech Educatio
- Service Line Manager - Digital Media
- JamalK: Thanks for this Richard! I think its really difficult to make a case for how
- Coverage of Microsoft’s Xbox Reveal Drives Spike in Adotas Readership: [...] The live video post was the third most read article of the day, followed
- Coverage of Microsoft’s Xbox Reveal Drives Spike in Adotas Readership: [...] most popular article of the day was our live #XboxReveal Twitter feed, which ran
- Coverage of Microsoft’s Xbox Reveal Drives Spike in Adotas Readership: [...] live video post was the third most read article of the day, followed by