Third-Party Facebook Mobile Apps Get a Lot of Use
ADOTAS – I hate the Facebook app for the iPhone, or at least I hate my copy of it. It’s glitchy as hell, slow as (molasses) and a pain in the ass to navigate. When I need some Facebook action on-the-go, I’ve taken to using the mobile website.
I occasionally have used Tweetdeck to post to my newsfeed, but I haven’t given a lot of thought to using third-party apps to get on the social network. Interestingly enough, some research by Benedict Evans suggests that half as many Facebookers use third-party apps to do their social networking as official Facebook apps.
According to Facebook, 250 million users access the social network via a mobile device daily; Evans research turned up about 222 million users, which leads him to estimate that 28 million are using Facebook on the mobile web.
However, he admits that the numbers he dug up from Facebook are by device and app, making for potential overlap. So, if you access Facebook via both your iPad and your iPhone, you’d be counted twice as a mobile user in Evans’ research. Evans comments he’s sure Facebook has “de-duped” the figures but isn’t sharing; while he doesn’t think the duped numbers are significant, he admits that mobile web users are higher than 28 million.
Then he adds: “But if we take only the official apps (and hence remove any possible duplication), we still get to about 200m app users versus 50m mobile web users.”
The point is that app access in general is monumentally higher than mobile website access, which shouldn’t come as a surprise. However, the relatively impressive amount of access with third-party apps should be of interest to advertisers. You may have noticed that Facebook doesn’t serve ads on its mobile app (or website).
Ad.ly messed around with third-party mobile social network advertising last year but admitted that the landscape was less than fruitful. Smartphone proliferation continues, however, with Android reportedly powering 50% of the world’s smartphones — it’s likely that the number of third-party Facebook app users will also continue to grow. Perhaps it’s a good time to re-examine the space.
- Pingback from Facebook Blackberry App Not Working « My Facebook Blog
Leave a Comment
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013 ADOTAS — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than