AT&T, T-Mobile & Verizon to Invest $100 Million in Isis Mobile Commerce System
ADOTAS – Although Google summoned a lot of fanfare to launch its digital Wallet, a mobile commerce solution that employed NFC technology and the Android mobile operating system, even if you squinted really hard, it was obvious that the application was limited (which is really too kind an adjective). The age of the digital wallet is coming, but Google Wallet didn’t herald its arrival, just a step.
Arguably, Google’s chief competition in the digital wallet game is Isis. Initially a partnership between AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon to build a mobile commerce solution through Discover Financial Systems (thereby edging out major credit card companies like MasterCard and Visa) that included NFC-based mobile payment systems for retailers, Isis actually partnered with MasterCard and Visa and lowered its ambitions to just being a digital wallet following Google’s launch of Wallet. Even those plans seemed up in the air as Google was reportedly trying to woo over AT&T and T-Mobile. (Are they the same company yet or what? I’m expecting slightly better wireless service any day now.)
However, Bloomberg reports that the three (two?) wireless carriers are about to dump $100 million into Isis. In addition to enabling mobile payments, the service would also let consumers receive and redeem coupons on their mobile devices.
In going up against Google, Isis’ chief advantage is that it has the right members and partners. Google Wallet is so far limited to Sprint and the NFC-enabled Nexus S phone on the mobile side and Citibank and Visa for financial. Still, Wallet is set to launch next month, while goodness knows what kind of technology infrastructure Isis is working with.
Still, I have a sneaking suspicion that Google Wallet and Isis will eventually join forces to become the dominant digital wallet solution… Though I wonder if all these big shoulders in the mobile commerce space will rub against each other a little too much. Perhaps if the revenue is flowing, that won’t matter.
- Pingback from AT&T, T-Mobile & Verizon to Invest $100 Million in Isis Mobile Commerce System – ADOTAS | Mobile News World Magazine
Leave a Comment
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013 ADOTAS — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Audience Development Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than