Young Men Prefer Computers for Entertainment Consumption
According to a new study of online video viewers (PDF) by Frank N. Magid for Metacafe, 68% of males aged (physically) 18 to 34 cited their PCs/laptops as the entertainment consumption device they couldn’t live without. Fifty-three percent said the same about their televisions and 39% about video game consoles.
The Magid Media Futures 2011 report, built on an online survey of 2,482 people aged 8 to 64, found that 39% of males 18 to 34 consider their computers their primary entertainment console, compared to 28% who said the same for TVs and 14% for video game consoles.
Online video viewing on the whole was up, with 23% of survey respondents watching online video content daily (up from 13% the year before) and 57% watch at least weekly (up from 50%). People that watched online video content at least on a weekly basis watched an average of 5.6 hours a week, up an hour from the year before; males between the ages of 18 to 34 watched an average of 7.8 hours weekly, and were estimated to increase this viewing by 10% over the next year.
In general, 31% of those between the ages of 18 and 34 watch online content daily while 71% watch it weekly. The average rates for males in this group were higher:
“Today’s young male consumers are entertainment enthusiasts who live online and consider their laptop or PC the center of their universe,” concluded Erick Hachenburg, CEO of Metacafe. “For those of us in the content business, this means we need to deliver an experience that feeds this voracious appetite for short-form video entertainment. For brand advertisers, this means that the young male audience is getting harder and harder to reach if online isn’t a primary part of media plans.”
According to a Metacafe viewership study, 79% of the network’s users are men between the ages of 18 and 34, and Metacafe viewers spend an average of 10.4 hours watching online video weekly.
Other findings from the survey:
- 66% of online video viewers regularly watch premium short-form content, such as music videos, movies trailers, TV clips, sports highlights, web originals, etc.
- 24% of online video viewers watch content on a mobile device.
- 25% of online video viewers access the Internet through their TV set.
- Pingback from Young Men Prefer Computers for Entertainment Consumption – ADOTAS | The Computer Bargains
- Pingback from Young Men Prefer Computers for Entertainment Consumption – Carlton Enoch "On the Streets" FaceBook Blog
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]