Young Men Prefer Computers for Entertainment Consumption
According to a new study of online video viewers (PDF) by Frank N. Magid for Metacafe, 68% of males aged (physically) 18 to 34 cited their PCs/laptops as the entertainment consumption device they couldn’t live without. Fifty-three percent said the same about their televisions and 39% about video game consoles.
The Magid Media Futures 2011 report, built on an online survey of 2,482 people aged 8 to 64, found that 39% of males 18 to 34 consider their computers their primary entertainment console, compared to 28% who said the same for TVs and 14% for video game consoles.
Online video viewing on the whole was up, with 23% of survey respondents watching online video content daily (up from 13% the year before) and 57% watch at least weekly (up from 50%). People that watched online video content at least on a weekly basis watched an average of 5.6 hours a week, up an hour from the year before; males between the ages of 18 to 34 watched an average of 7.8 hours weekly, and were estimated to increase this viewing by 10% over the next year.
In general, 31% of those between the ages of 18 and 34 watch online content daily while 71% watch it weekly. The average rates for males in this group were higher:
“Today’s young male consumers are entertainment enthusiasts who live online and consider their laptop or PC the center of their universe,” concluded Erick Hachenburg, CEO of Metacafe. “For those of us in the content business, this means we need to deliver an experience that feeds this voracious appetite for short-form video entertainment. For brand advertisers, this means that the young male audience is getting harder and harder to reach if online isn’t a primary part of media plans.”
According to a Metacafe viewership study, 79% of the network’s users are men between the ages of 18 and 34, and Metacafe viewers spend an average of 10.4 hours watching online video weekly.
Other findings from the survey:
- 66% of online video viewers regularly watch premium short-form content, such as music videos, movies trailers, TV clips, sports highlights, web originals, etc.
- 24% of online video viewers watch content on a mobile device.
- 25% of online video viewers access the Internet through their TV set.
- Pingback from Young Men Prefer Computers for Entertainment Consumption – ADOTAS | The Computer Bargains
- Pingback from Young Men Prefer Computers for Entertainment Consumption – Carlton Enoch "On the Streets" FaceBook Blog
Leave a Comment
- The True ROI of Online Video Advertising: A Nielsen Media Lab Report
- RTB Case Study: Why businesses should use more than one retargeter
- Measuring Mobile Ads and Apps: What Are You Missing?
- Mobile User Acquisition Fraud: The YouAppi Solution
- Centriply Begins Licensing Its Proprietary Big Data: Retains Venture Development Center to Lead Effort