More articles by James Kim
Social Media Advertising for Beginners
ADOTAS – Even once you’ve found funding and used business solutions to start your business, you’re not done yet. You have the business, but you still have to advertise it. Fortunately, you don’t need a lot of money to create an effective marketing strategy as long as you focus on social media. Here’s what you need to know to get started.
Facebook is the biggest and best place to advertise in social media today. It has tons of members and the most developed advertising platform of all the social networks. However, since it’s still relatively new, ads on Facebook are still cheap, making it a great place to advertise over something like Google AdWords, which will cost you significantly more.
With Facebook you can focus on two areas: targeting groups or making a network. With targeted ads, you can take advantage of the massive amount of information Facebook has about all of it’s members, allowing you to focus on a truly impressive number of combinations of data (men over 50 who like smooth jazz, perhaps). In terms of making a network, you can make a page on Facebook and then pay to advertise that page and gain “likes,” thereby creating your own network of fans on Facebook that you can then communicate with.
LinkedIn is a smaller, less diverse network than Facebook. You can do the same type of targeting of groups that you do with Facebook, but you won’t be able to choose from the wide range of topics that Facebook provides.
However, LinkedIn gives you a finer grain of targeting, so you can specifically advertise to people with, for example, a certain job title, like “Director of Operations.” It’s important to note that, as LinkedIn is made for business networking, that is the group that you’re advertising to; it’s either a perfect place or a horrible place to advertise your business depending on what you’re looking for and what you do.
Twitter is a “special” case. It’s huge and has grown at an unprecedented rate in its five years of operation. Even though it has had great success, though, it has the least developed advertising platform of any of the networks. All you can do with Twitter is buy a sponsored tweet or pay to promote a trend on the main page.
Other than that, finding success with Twitter requires manually building up your network through gaining followers and following the right people in order to make your voice more prominent. The advantage of eventual Twitter success is the “snowball effect” that you can have: you tweet, your followers retweet, the followers of your followers retweet, etc.
Even better, people tweeting about you means you show up in searches about what you do. Someone searching for “sandwiches” will find your business if you get people tweeting about it, putting the message fully into the public rather than Facebook that is more focused on the immediate network of a person and their friends.
There’s your quick start guide to advertising in the social media world. The important thing with social media is to consider which network is the most appropriate for your business. In addition, you’ll want to make sure that you test your advertising strategy before jumping in completely. You don’t want to find yourself seeing no results from ads on a network you’ve put a lot of money and time into.
In the end, social media advertising is one of the cheapest and most efficient ways to put your business in the public eye, and you should definitely take advantage of it.
- Pingback from CLIVIO.Biz facebook news 312
I am new to the social media world, but this article really helps with the basics of knowing what Social Media Marketing is about. Thank you.
- Pingback from Social media advertising secrets for beginners | Social Media Tips, News, Tricks and Strategies | Salvation System
Leave a Comment
- Nikki’s Picks to Click: Facebook Ad Milestone, Twitter Spot Ads, Big Data Problems June 19th 2013 ADOTAS EDITOR’S NOTE: Editorial Intern Nikki Frammartino routinely scours online media for [...] more »
- Four Tips For Success With Cloud-Backed Digital Campaigns June 19th 2013 ADOTAS – Advertising legend David Ogilvy once said, “If it [...] more »
- Infographic: Martini Media and comScore Release Affluent Spending Data June 19th 2013 SAN FRANCISCO AND NEW YORK, June 19, 2013 (ADOTAS) — [...] more »
- Amazon Launches Social Gifting Service to Compete with Facebook Gifts June 19th 2013 ADOTAS — Did you forget that your friend’s birthday is [...] more »
- Upcoming Event and Conference Calendar June 19th 2013 ADOTAS -– Here’s a snapshot of upcoming industry events. Further [...] more »
- Big Data’s Killer App: Mobile RTB June 18th 2013 ADOTAS – As you may have noticed, mobile real-time bidding [...] more »
- How SMBs Can Keep Up With Mobile Commerce June 18th 2013 ADOTAS — It’s no secret that mobile commerce is on [...] more »
- Four Tips For Success With Cloud-Backed Digital Campaigns June 19th 2013
- Amazon Launches Social Gifting Service to Compete with Facebook Gifts June 19th 2013
- Big Data’s Killer App: Mobile RTB June 18th 2013
- How SMBs Can Keep Up With Mobile Commerce June 18th 2013
- Video: Small Business Should Visualize the Use of QR Codes June 17th 2013
- Director of Business Valuation - Financial Advisor
- SEO / SEM Marketing Manager
- Marketing Research Analyst
- Director of Business Valuation - Financial Advisor
- Digital Project Manager
- Mediasmith - » Mediasmith -: [...] Medialets As Official 3rd-Party Server For Mobile/Tablet Advertising NEW YORK, June
- ReputationArmor.net - Online Reputation Management, Mobile Marketing, Domain Registration, Web Hosting, Social Engagement, and SMS Marketing Campaigns that work !!!: [...] Video: Small Business Should Visualize the Use of QR CodesADOTAS, on Mon, 17 Jun
- #Facebook #Hashtags #FTW? – Search Engine Watch | - Suaju Lean Management: [...] (FB) Wants to Wipe Twitter Off the Map…StreetInsider.com (subscription) (blog)ADOTAS -PerformanceIN -Patch.comall 16 news [...]
- #Facebook #Hashtags #FTW? – Search Engine Watch | Social Commerce Tomorrow - Media Marketing: [...] (FB) Wants to Wipe Twitter Off the Map…StreetInsider.com (subscription) (blog)ADOTAS -PerformanceIN -Patch.comall 16 news [...]