Social Media Advertising for Beginners
ADOTAS – Even once you’ve found funding and used business solutions to start your business, you’re not done yet. You have the business, but you still have to advertise it. Fortunately, you don’t need a lot of money to create an effective marketing strategy as long as you focus on social media. Here’s what you need to know to get started.
Facebook is the biggest and best place to advertise in social media today. It has tons of members and the most developed advertising platform of all the social networks. However, since it’s still relatively new, ads on Facebook are still cheap, making it a great place to advertise over something like Google AdWords, which will cost you significantly more.
With Facebook you can focus on two areas: targeting groups or making a network. With targeted ads, you can take advantage of the massive amount of information Facebook has about all of it’s members, allowing you to focus on a truly impressive number of combinations of data (men over 50 who like smooth jazz, perhaps). In terms of making a network, you can make a page on Facebook and then pay to advertise that page and gain “likes,” thereby creating your own network of fans on Facebook that you can then communicate with.
LinkedIn is a smaller, less diverse network than Facebook. You can do the same type of targeting of groups that you do with Facebook, but you won’t be able to choose from the wide range of topics that Facebook provides.
However, LinkedIn gives you a finer grain of targeting, so you can specifically advertise to people with, for example, a certain job title, like “Director of Operations.” It’s important to note that, as LinkedIn is made for business networking, that is the group that you’re advertising to; it’s either a perfect place or a horrible place to advertise your business depending on what you’re looking for and what you do.
Twitter is a “special” case. It’s huge and has grown at an unprecedented rate in its five years of operation. Even though it has had great success, though, it has the least developed advertising platform of any of the networks. All you can do with Twitter is buy a sponsored tweet or pay to promote a trend on the main page.
Other than that, finding success with Twitter requires manually building up your network through gaining followers and following the right people in order to make your voice more prominent. The advantage of eventual Twitter success is the “snowball effect” that you can have: you tweet, your followers retweet, the followers of your followers retweet, etc.
Even better, people tweeting about you means you show up in searches about what you do. Someone searching for “sandwiches” will find your business if you get people tweeting about it, putting the message fully into the public rather than Facebook that is more focused on the immediate network of a person and their friends.
There’s your quick start guide to advertising in the social media world. The important thing with social media is to consider which network is the most appropriate for your business. In addition, you’ll want to make sure that you test your advertising strategy before jumping in completely. You don’t want to find yourself seeing no results from ads on a network you’ve put a lot of money and time into.
In the end, social media advertising is one of the cheapest and most efficient ways to put your business in the public eye, and you should definitely take advantage of it.
- Pingback from CLIVIO.Biz facebook news 312
I am new to the social media world, but this article really helps with the basics of knowing what Social Media Marketing is about. Thank you.
- Pingback from Social media advertising secrets for beginners | Social Media Tips, News, Tricks and Strategies | Salvation System
Leave a Comment
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Study: Dispop Trumps Google Display Advertising in Side-By-Side Comparison December 11th 2013 ADOTAS – Lest we forget, Google is an advertising company [...] more »
- Rubicon Project Strengthens Senior Leadership Team With Strategic New Hires December 11th 2013 LOS ANGELES, December 11, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Rubicon Project (www.rubiconproject.com), [...] more »
- UPDATED: Is Ex-PayPal SVP The Person Leaving Ginormous ‘Tips for Jesus’? December 11th 2013 ADOTAS — A New York waiter claims that Jack Selby, [...] more »
- Integrate and Silicon Valley Bank Ink $12.5 Million in Secured Financing December 11th 2013 SCOTTSDALE, AZ, December 11, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Integrate, the first [...] more »
- Pixalate Raises $4.6 Million to Bring Free Real-Time Ad Viewability and Fraud Detection to Brands and Agencies December 11th 2013 SANTA MONICA, Calif.,December 11, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Pixalate, a leading [...] more »
- Opera Mediaworks Reveals 6 Biggest Mobile Advertising Trends of 2013 December 11th 2013 SAN MATEO, Calif., December 11, 2013 (ADOTAS — In a [...] more »
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day December 10th 2013 ADOTAS – Marketers all have different opinions about how much [...] more »
- SPECIAL REPORT: Ad Fraud and the Anatomy of a Botnet December 11th 2013
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day December 10th 2013
- Sharpen Your Marketing Strategy with Accountable Media December 10th 2013
- Female Game Players are Stealing TV Advertising Budgets December 10th 2013
- Media Consolidation Is Revolutionizing Marketing December 9th 2013
- Mgr Channel Planning (Social Media)
- SEO/SEM Analyst
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Why Social Media Will Live Past their “Expiry Dates”: [...] in social media stock prices. In May 2012, Facebook reported a $35 billion loss
- Chris Zaharias: Very interesting data. All respect due to Google for having built and scaled tools for
- Dick Bennett CEO: Richard, I (and my company)have been on this scene for years. We performed the initial
- CimatronE 11 Provides Italian Manufacturer With Major Gun Drilling Efficiencies | contractor-software.us: [...] SPECIAL REPORT: Ad Fraud and the Anatomy of a Botnet Click fraud, pixel-jacking and