Facebook’s Losing U.S. Users! Oh Wait, Forgot the Mobile Data
ADOTAS -If I had a quarter for every time I heard a rumor about an imminent Facebook IPO, I wouldn’t be a rich man but I could certainly take a few dozen loads to the laundromat. I attributed the latest IPO gossip stirfry as a method of deflecting attention from Facebook’s reported loss of 6 million users in the U.S. last month, which suggests Facebook’s domestic growth has reached its peak or just temporarily stalled with the summer heat.
Except that report wasn’t real accurate — not according to everyone else’s numbers. comScore reports Facebook, the fourth largest U.S. web property with 157.2 million uniques in May, gained 3.2 million visitors last month to hit an all-time high. Nielsen reported that uniques increased by 4.7% in May, but average time on the site slipped by 0.8%.
Whoa, you say — didn’t Inside Facebook’s user figures come from tracking ads viewed within the social network? Why yes, but they didn’t include mobile usage as ads aren’t shown in Facebook apps or on the mobile website, an actual Facebook insider told Business Insider Editor Henry Blodgett. This source also suggested mobile usage increases in the summer when the kids apparently aren’t accessing the social network from school computers. (Do schools allow that now? Man, in my day we were screamed at for using ICQ Messenger.)
Blodgett echoes Adotas’ sentiment from the other day — Facebook already counts around half the U.S. population as users. The social network only has so much more room to actually expand in this country. While Blodgett suggests time on site (which Nielsen reported a dip in) and overall engagement are becoming better metrics for judging Facebook’s performance, I suggested looking at the age of new users — if the young’ens aren’t coming aboard as soon as they hit the minimum age, then Facebook’s social revolution might be petering out.
But the most important takeaway from this kerfuffle is that if mobile usage is increasing at such a rapid pace, where are the ads? Especially ones that could offer location-based targeting? Isn’t that what Facebook’s cadre of local advertisers crave? Facebook shouldn’t be worried about losing online impressions, but figuring out how to monetize mobile usage, which is only going to increase. It’s a goldmine waiting to be discovered.
FB should have done an IPO. Flush with cash start buying and mashing mobile companies and and UK web properties. With FB’s and its large user base they could have created their own cell provider brand like Virgin Mobile offering FB users discounts on FB updating, FB texting, off line coupons, etc.
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]