Facebook’s Losing U.S. Users! Oh Wait, Forgot the Mobile Data
ADOTAS -If I had a quarter for every time I heard a rumor about an imminent Facebook IPO, I wouldn’t be a rich man but I could certainly take a few dozen loads to the laundromat. I attributed the latest IPO gossip stirfry as a method of deflecting attention from Facebook’s reported loss of 6 million users in the U.S. last month, which suggests Facebook’s domestic growth has reached its peak or just temporarily stalled with the summer heat.
Except that report wasn’t real accurate — not according to everyone else’s numbers. comScore reports Facebook, the fourth largest U.S. web property with 157.2 million uniques in May, gained 3.2 million visitors last month to hit an all-time high. Nielsen reported that uniques increased by 4.7% in May, but average time on the site slipped by 0.8%.
Whoa, you say — didn’t Inside Facebook’s user figures come from tracking ads viewed within the social network? Why yes, but they didn’t include mobile usage as ads aren’t shown in Facebook apps or on the mobile website, an actual Facebook insider told Business Insider Editor Henry Blodgett. This source also suggested mobile usage increases in the summer when the kids apparently aren’t accessing the social network from school computers. (Do schools allow that now? Man, in my day we were screamed at for using ICQ Messenger.)
Blodgett echoes Adotas’ sentiment from the other day — Facebook already counts around half the U.S. population as users. The social network only has so much more room to actually expand in this country. While Blodgett suggests time on site (which Nielsen reported a dip in) and overall engagement are becoming better metrics for judging Facebook’s performance, I suggested looking at the age of new users — if the young’ens aren’t coming aboard as soon as they hit the minimum age, then Facebook’s social revolution might be petering out.
But the most important takeaway from this kerfuffle is that if mobile usage is increasing at such a rapid pace, where are the ads? Especially ones that could offer location-based targeting? Isn’t that what Facebook’s cadre of local advertisers crave? Facebook shouldn’t be worried about losing online impressions, but figuring out how to monetize mobile usage, which is only going to increase. It’s a goldmine waiting to be discovered.
FB should have done an IPO. Flush with cash start buying and mashing mobile companies and and UK web properties. With FB’s and its large user base they could have created their own cell provider brand like Virgin Mobile offering FB users discounts on FB updating, FB texting, off line coupons, etc.
Leave a Comment
Take the Display Advertising Survey for the Chance to Win a Jawbone Jambox!ADOTAS – Industry discussions about cookies, privacy and the impact on display advertising have been frequent — and, in some [...] more...
- Watch it Live: Xbox Reveal, 5/21 at Noon EDT/10 a.m. PDT May 20th 2013 ADOTAS (via CNET) – Check out CNET’s live coverage of [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Implications of Yahoo’s Tumblr Acquisition? May 20th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’ve solicited comments from industry leaders in [...] more »
- AFAIK: Poptent, Clear Channel Outdoor, Infusionsoft, Silverpop May 20th 2013 ADOTAS — Here’s what jumped out of my Inbox and [...] more »
- Live Twitter feed from Internet Week New York May 20th 2013 ADOTAS – This year’s Internet Week New York (#IWNY) will [...] more »
- Preview: What’s Happening at Internet Week New York 2013 May 20th 2013 ADOTAS — Digital advertising and technology collide this week as [...] more »
- Report: David Karp sells Tumblr to Yahoo! for $1.1 Billion May 20th 2013 ADOTAS (via New York’s Daily News) — Who wants to [...] more »
- It’s Not Digital – It’s Mobile May 17th 2013 ADOTAS — One of the biggest mistakes advertisers can [...] more »
- Preview: What’s Happening at Internet Week New York 2013 May 20th 2013
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit May 17th 2013
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships May 17th 2013
- Unleash the Power of Mobile: 6 Steps to Lead Generation the ‘Iron Man’ Way May 16th 2013
- Who’s Sharing My Brand Images? Why Text-Based Social Media Monitoring Falls Short May 16th 2013
- Print and Web Manager
- SEO Marketing PPC Specialist
- Marketing Summer Internship at Clean-Tech Educatio
- Service Line Manager - Digital Media
- SEO / SEM Specialist
- Ben Straley responds to Implications of Yahoo’s Tumblr Acquisition? - Rio SEO Blog: [...] Original article posted here [...]
- New Solution to OpenX OnRamp Shutdown | Adcolt: [...] http://www.adotas.com/2013/02/update-malware-attack-permanently-shuts-down-openx-onramp/ Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading... This entry was posted in Uncategorized
- Pinterest Roundup — May 2013 | Technology for Publishing LLC: [...] Early Pinterest Analytics Show Brand Potential [...]
- YouTube Turns Eight As Platform Surpasses More Than 100 Hours Of Video … | HOW CAN I GET MONEY: [...] in the look, feel and behavior of Google Objects. The integration is easy, and