Facebook Opens Arms to Agencies
ADOTAS – Following the performance of Facebook Vice President of Global Sales Carolyn Everson at the Federated Media Conversational Marketing Summit, a few other conference attendees commented that Everson, only 11 weeks into her new role, was a big switch from former VP of Global Sales Mike Murphy, who gave a canned spiel at the conference the year before. Everson’s hiring alone suggested Facebook was extending an olive branch to agencies, but her speech to the industry crowd at the conference amplified the message that the social network wants to be friends.
Two more elements of this outreach appeared this week. First, Facebook increased its ad formats to eight with the new Comments unit, which was actually designed by Leo Burnett, Chicago as part of a contest hosted by the social network last year to encourage agencies to design Facebook ad units.
The ad employs question-baiting — a unit sponsored by a brand prompts users to share experiences by posing a question. One launch partner is insurance company AllState, which asks users to open up through its personification of Mayhem, also known as Dennis from “30 Rock.”
It sounds similar to TypePad Conversations, introduced by blogging service and social media advertiser Six Apart last year before it was acquired by VideoEgg — the units are still available through the merged entity, SAY Media. With TypePad Conversations — check out our Adotas coverage — TypePad bloggers disseminate the sponsored questions, SAY aggregates responses to conversations.typepad.com and then syndicates highlighted answers across its network via the Awesome Bar.
Facebook Comments are only available for holders of premium accounts and will not be a self-service option. The unit is hooked up to Facebook’s other brand reachout, Sponsored Stories (something Everson couldn’t stop talking about at Federated’s conference) so that when a friend answers the sponsored question, it will appear as a Sponsored Story ad.
Move no. 2 is the Client Council, introduced at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity (the name alone makes me want to wretch). This band of 12, including McCann Worldgroup CEO Nick Brien and Coca-Cola Marketing Head Wendy Clark, will bring peace to the valley by slaying the fire-breathing dragons that nest in the East. Oh, wait — getting my live-action role-playing mixed up with work again.
No, the council will get to view and comment on Facebook ad units as they’re being developed. Council membership is invitation-only and the cast will be rotated yearly.
In April, the social network introduced Facebook Studio for helping brands set up Facebook pages and other social branding techniques, and held its first Studio Live event, which included 200 participants.
It seems Facebook is no longer satisfied with the ad dollars of small and local businesses. Agencies are the gatekeepers to bringing in big brand dollars at scale. But can the two play nice?
They’ll have to. Like it not, Facebook, it’s the agencies that the businesses are paying. Excited about all the changes – have been seeing a lot of new social stuff rolling out. REALLY exciting time to be a social media nerd
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]