Video SEO Drives Traffic to Retail Sites
ADOTAS - SundaySky, which specializes in automated video production at scale for retailers, suggests in its latest research that many e-commerce outfits are ignoring a key SEO tactic. By optimizing branded videos on their websites, consumers can be sent directly from search results to product pages.
Testing 34,000 keywords garnered from Shopping.com’s top searches within 17 categories, 18% featured video results. In particular, about half of the keywords for video games generated video results.
Take a wild guess where most of these video results go – if you didn’t say YouTube, slap yourself. HSN has a whopping 79,034 videos on the site; the next biggest uploader is Systemax (3,625), followed by Buy.com (3,080) and QVC (1,243). Nike’s channel, which has 1,096 videos, is the most watched with nearly 150 million views, trailed by Systemax (84 million) and HSN (43 million).
SundaySky reports that 96,000 retail videos were posted on YouTube in the first quarter of 2011 (a 9% quarter over quarter improvement) while retail videos garnered 420 million views (13% QOQ increase).
SundaySky notes that not many online retailers use videos to drive search traffic to their sites, but those that do have all mass-scaled website inventory to thousands of product videos. Overstock has an estimated 95,000 videos on its site, followed by Amazon with 72,635 and HSN with 29,620. HSN has an estimated 12,500 videos indexed by search engines, while Overstock has 6,310 and Nike 4,070.
SundaySky’s advice? “Similar to standard SEO best practices, producing mass-scale videos to cater to long tail keywords will generate better search engine results, particularly in the more saturated categories.” Apparently 32% of retailers scaled to 1,000 or more videos on their sites, compared to 22% the year before.
I would like to add that current possibilities of video seo are getting bigger and bigger, also because of new Youtube features like annotations, captions and subtitles.
We – i.e. Pelicula and Seoguru – are carrying out an interesting experiment assessing the added value for search ranking of these new features. See: http://www.pelicula.nl/video-seo/
Leave a Comment
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum March 11th 2014 VANCOUVER, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO [...] more »
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer March 11th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Ampush, a leading [...] more »
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting March 11th 2014 ADOTAS – You may already know that Facebook Exchange (FBX) [...] more »
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President March 11th 2014 SAN DIEGO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) -– Covario, a leading independent [...] more »
- Kitara Media Appoints Chris Magdelinskas as Chief Technology Officer March 11th 2014 JERSEY CITY, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Kitara Media Corp. [...] more »
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media March 10th 2014 KANSAS CITY, Mo. and LOS ANGELES, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Fans Among Farmers, Filmmakers#Selfie Music Video Dominates With Help From Social Media InfluencersAdknowledge Acquires
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]