Google Steals Yahoo!’s Display Revenue Crown
ADOTAS – And as their display prophets foresaw, it came to be that Google ruled all online advertising. While it’s not surprising to hear Google dominated search revenue (a 59.6% share in 1Q11, a tad bit above 59.1% in 4Q10), the latest stats from market researcher IDC also show that Google passed Yahoo! in display revenue during the first quarter of 2011.
It’s actually the first time in Internet history that Yahoo! has been knocked out of the top spot — surely not an event they’re celebrating in Y-town.
The Google Display Network benefitted from both increased display spend and a nice bump in revenue — its percentage of display revenue share increased from 13.3% in 4Q10 to 14.7% in 1Q11. Yahoo!’s share, on the other hand, declined from 13.6% to 12.3% over the same time period.
IDC’s Karsten Weide analyzes:
“We expect further pressure on traditional display ad publishers such as Yahoo!, Microsoft and AOL. GDN for now does not threaten them directly since their primary client base are brand advertisers, while the GDN for now mostly attracts SMBs. But that may change, and when that happens, the old stalwarts’ lumbering sales organizations will have to compete with GDN’s ultra-effective automated sales interface.”
While Facebook already serves far more display impressions than either Google or Yahoo, its ad revenue is so low because the impressions are so cheap. Eventually, with improved targeting and smarter products, CPMs and CPCs will go up and the social network could come dominate the space in terms of revenue. Facebook’s primary advertisers are those same local SMBs that boosted GDN’s revenue.
In general, worldwide spend increased by 14.3% year over year — from $15.9 billion in 1Q10 to $18.2 billion in 1Q11. In the U.S. alone, the pop was 14.2% — from $7.1 billion in 1Q10 to $8.1 billion in 1Q11. IDC estimates quarter-over-quarter increases of 13.3% to reach $8.3 billion in 2Q11, and a 13.8% bump for full-year 2011, reaching $34.6 billion versus $30.4 billion in 2010.
Also interesting, revenue from display advertising is growing at a faster rate than search — display revenue accounted for 33.3% of online revenue compared with 29% two years ago (remember the dark times?). Search’s share of online ad revenue declined to 48.7% versus 53.4% two years ago.
- Pingback from Search as a Verb: a Digital Representation of the Physical World | Marketing-Trade.com
- Pingback from Search as a Verb: a Digital Representation of the Physical World « Seo « Artificial Intelligence SEO
- Pingback from Webmaster Tricks And Tips » Search as a Verb: a Digital Representation of the Physical World
- Pingback from Search as a Verb: a Digital Representation of the Physical World | Web SEO Tips - Online SEO Articles
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]