Gamification Baron Bunchball Wins Clients Left and Right
ADOTAS – I’m a little sad that Bunchball gamified Bravo’s “The Real Housewives of Atlanta” rather than “The Real Housewives of New Jersey.” For the latter I can only imagine the joy gleaned from a quick-draw-like contest where you see who can throw wine in the other’s face first. Or maybe a game in which you cake on as much makeup as possible without suffocating the housewife. The virtual points earned can go toward virtual plastic surgery.
Even “The Real Housewives of Washington, DC” would have been more exciting: Do you have the gall to sneak your way into a White House state dinner?
Not that the gamification of “The Real Housewives of New Jersey” is anything shabby — users can build a housewife avatar that they clothe through earning points via watching episodes and visiting other Bravo pages. Then users square off in a fashion showdown, where members of the community vote who is looking the most stylish that week.
It’s not as gloriously trashy as throwing a massive temper tantrum in a five-star restaurant because you were served tap water instead of Perrier, but it’s still pretty damn engaging — the user update stream is full of activity.
Even though gamification as a marketing tool has been gaining velocity — as well as skepticism — in the last few years, Bunchball has been “gamifying” websites since 2005 and is arguably the frontrunner in the space. Gamification is the practice of introducing social gaming elements into marketing campaigns or customer loyalty programs to enhance engagement.
Bunchball just announced that it has doubled its customer base in the last year and now tracks 2.5 billion actions by 70 million uniques every month. Clients include major media operations — television networks like ABC, CBS, NBC, Bravo, USA, Syfy and Telemundo as well as movie studios like Warner Bros. and 20th Century Fox — as well as retailers and consumer product goods companies.
Through using Bunchball’s Nitro platform, these companies have seen their page views double, pages per visit increase by 60%, unique jump 30%, time on site increase by 100% and a doubling in repeat monthly visits. Bunchball suggest clients typically witness ROI of 400%.
A good deal of the skepticism around gamification revolves around the idea that virtual rewards cannot draw long-term brand engagement — games like FarmVille and CityVille could be called the exceptions to the rule, but those are games first with marketing efforts embedded. CrowdTwist made a splash by adding physical rewards (discounts on tickets, etc.) to its gamification element. Mobile ad network Kiip offers real rewards (free soda!) to mobile gamers.
It’s a growing market with plenty of room for innovation — eMarketer recently suggested that gamification will grow from a $100 million industry in 2011 to a $1.6 billion one in 2015.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]