Yahoo’s Search Suffering Isn’t News, But Recovery Through Innovation Is
ADOTAS – As Yahoo’s board of directors descend on Silicon Valley for their annual meeting, some anonymous source told BoomTown’s Kara Swisher that Y’s search business has “fallen off the cliff.”
That’s news? Is that even gossip?
The gossip angle is that so far Microsoft is not driving the search share Yahoo execs hoped for when Bing took over the back-end of Yahoo’s search function. comScore’s March search scores show that Yahoo.com continues to lose increments of its search share to both Google and Bing, which doesn’t bode well for the Binghoo partnership.
Once Bing took over the back end, the incorrect notion went around that searching on Bing and Yahoo would be exactly the same. However, Yahoo has made some impressive moves to differentiate its user search experience from Bing, and by extension Google since Bing isn’t that much different from that perspective.
The latest is the most impressive — Yahoo Search Direct, which places “instant” results and page previews right in the query box. Most users won’t even need to leave the box, said Shashi Seth, senior vice president of Search Products, during the launch. In theory, Search Direct boxes could be embedded all over Yahoo sites or third-party sites.
The advertising potential is the most exciting aspect as paid search could finally extend into display and video — with these ads appearing in the search box.
But this is all potential — and board members should see how to make it a reality ASAP. If Yahoo builds it, advertisers will come — “paid search” featuring video, banners or even offers could easily be bundled into display packages, and display is back on the upswing for Yahoo. As user discontent with the search status quo continues to manifest, something new and (fingers crossed) proficient could entice searchers to come back to an old friend (if they’re not already sold on Facebook for searching).
Yahoo’s flailing search business is not news — the fact that there appears to be a ladder out of the hole is.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President
- Kitara Media Appoints Chris Magdelinskas as Chief Technology Officer
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting March 11th 2014 ADOTAS – You may already know that Facebook Exchange (FBX) [...] more »
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President March 11th 2014 SAN DIEGO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) -– Covario, a leading independent [...] more »
- Kitara Media Appoints Chris Magdelinskas as Chief Technology Officer March 11th 2014 JERSEY CITY, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Kitara Media Corp. [...] more »
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media March 10th 2014 KANSAS CITY, Mo. and LOS ANGELES, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom March 10th 2014 ADOTAS – This past Friday, Advertising Age reported that Omnicom [...] more »
- PointRoll’s Social Engager Leverages Multi-Source Data to Alter Creative on the Fly for Mobile Facebook & Twitter Users March 10th 2014 AUSTIN, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Advertisers can engage prospective [...] more »
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence March 10th 2014 NEW YORK, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Bitly, the company [...] more »
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Fans Among Farmers, Filmmakers#Selfie Music Video Dominates With Help From Social Media InfluencersAdknowledge Acquires
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]