Yahoo’s Search Suffering Isn’t News, But Recovery Through Innovation Is
ADOTAS – As Yahoo’s board of directors descend on Silicon Valley for their annual meeting, some anonymous source told BoomTown’s Kara Swisher that Y’s search business has “fallen off the cliff.”
That’s news? Is that even gossip?
The gossip angle is that so far Microsoft is not driving the search share Yahoo execs hoped for when Bing took over the back-end of Yahoo’s search function. comScore’s March search scores show that Yahoo.com continues to lose increments of its search share to both Google and Bing, which doesn’t bode well for the Binghoo partnership.
Once Bing took over the back end, the incorrect notion went around that searching on Bing and Yahoo would be exactly the same. However, Yahoo has made some impressive moves to differentiate its user search experience from Bing, and by extension Google since Bing isn’t that much different from that perspective.
The latest is the most impressive — Yahoo Search Direct, which places “instant” results and page previews right in the query box. Most users won’t even need to leave the box, said Shashi Seth, senior vice president of Search Products, during the launch. In theory, Search Direct boxes could be embedded all over Yahoo sites or third-party sites.
The advertising potential is the most exciting aspect as paid search could finally extend into display and video — with these ads appearing in the search box.
But this is all potential — and board members should see how to make it a reality ASAP. If Yahoo builds it, advertisers will come — “paid search” featuring video, banners or even offers could easily be bundled into display packages, and display is back on the upswing for Yahoo. As user discontent with the search status quo continues to manifest, something new and (fingers crossed) proficient could entice searchers to come back to an old friend (if they’re not already sold on Facebook for searching).
Yahoo’s flailing search business is not news — the fact that there appears to be a ladder out of the hole is.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Study: Dispop Trumps Google Display Advertising in Side-By-Side Comparison
- Rubicon Project Strengthens Senior Leadership Team With Strategic New Hires
- UPDATED: Is Ex-PayPal SVP The Person Leaving Ginormous ‘Tips for Jesus’?
- Integrate and Silicon Valley Bank Ink $12.5 Million in Secured Financing
- Pixalate Raises $4.6 Million to Bring Free Real-Time Ad Viewability and Fraud Detection to Brands and Agencies
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Study: Dispop Trumps Google Display Advertising in Side-By-Side Comparison December 11th 2013 ADOTAS – Lest we forget, Google is an advertising company [...] more »
- Rubicon Project Strengthens Senior Leadership Team With Strategic New Hires December 11th 2013 LOS ANGELES, December 11, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Rubicon Project (www.rubiconproject.com), [...] more »
- UPDATED: Is Ex-PayPal SVP The Person Leaving Ginormous ‘Tips for Jesus’? December 11th 2013 ADOTAS — A New York waiter claims that Jack Selby, [...] more »
- Integrate and Silicon Valley Bank Ink $12.5 Million in Secured Financing December 11th 2013 SCOTTSDALE, AZ, December 11, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Integrate, the first [...] more »
- Pixalate Raises $4.6 Million to Bring Free Real-Time Ad Viewability and Fraud Detection to Brands and Agencies December 11th 2013 SANTA MONICA, Calif.,December 11, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Pixalate, a leading [...] more »
- Opera Mediaworks Reveals 6 Biggest Mobile Advertising Trends of 2013 December 11th 2013 SAN MATEO, Calif., December 11, 2013 (ADOTAS — In a [...] more »
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day December 10th 2013 ADOTAS – Marketers all have different opinions about how much [...] more »
- SPECIAL REPORT: Ad Fraud and the Anatomy of a Botnet December 11th 2013
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day December 10th 2013
- Sharpen Your Marketing Strategy with Accountable Media December 10th 2013
- Female Game Players are Stealing TV Advertising Budgets December 10th 2013
- Media Consolidation Is Revolutionizing Marketing December 9th 2013
- Mgr Channel Planning (Social Media)
- SEO/SEM Analyst
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Why Social Media Will Live Past their “Expiry Dates”: [...] in social media stock prices. In May 2012, Facebook reported a $35 billion loss
- Chris Zaharias: Very interesting data. All respect due to Google for having built and scaled tools for
- Dick Bennett CEO: Richard, I (and my company)have been on this scene for years. We performed the initial
- CimatronE 11 Provides Italian Manufacturer With Major Gun Drilling Efficiencies | contractor-software.us: [...] SPECIAL REPORT: Ad Fraud and the Anatomy of a Botnet Click fraud, pixel-jacking and