Walmart Shores Up Social & Mobile Efforts With Kosmix Acquisition
ADOTAS – I actually snorted aloud when I heard a Walmart commercial end with the tagline, “Save Money, Live Better,” while buying a sixer at the bodega last night. The clerk nodded and said, “I know — what a stupid slogan.” Then again, both of us live in Brooklyn — we’re used to spending money and living crappy.
The king of big box stores may not have saved money through buying social media curator Kosmix — rumor has it the price tag was around $300 million — but it’s sure hoping to live better in the mobile and social realms.
Just what is a real-time social media curator? Kosmix aggregates content by topic from across the web and social networks. The technology is used for TweetBeat, a real-time social media filter for live events, but could also be used to instantly retrieve a world information for potential consumers on Walmart’s online or mobile website and social media outposts.
Kosmix seemed cool enough that it brought in $55 million in funding from the likes of Time Warner Investments, Accel Partners, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Dag Ventures, Bezos Expeditions, Jon Miller and Ed Zander.
The acquisition will be integrated into new division @Walmart Labs, which is designed to link the social and mobile commerce strategies of the retail giant.
“We are expanding our capabilities in today’s rapidly growing social commerce environment,” said Walmart Vice Chairman Eduardo Castro-Wright. “Social networking and mobile applications are increasingly becoming a part of our customers’ day-to-day lives globally, influencing how they think about shopping.”
A board member of Wal-Mart used to be a top exec at Accel and Rob Walton’s son-in-law Greg Penner (also a board member) used to be tied into Accel. The firm and Wal-Mart have a close relationship.
I had never heard of Kosmix before Walmart bought it. I wonder if it will become popular. What do you guys think? -http://tinyurl.com/3j5ke49
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]