Walmart Shores Up Social & Mobile Efforts With Kosmix Acquisition
ADOTAS – I actually snorted aloud when I heard a Walmart commercial end with the tagline, “Save Money, Live Better,” while buying a sixer at the bodega last night. The clerk nodded and said, “I know — what a stupid slogan.” Then again, both of us live in Brooklyn — we’re used to spending money and living crappy.
The king of big box stores may not have saved money through buying social media curator Kosmix — rumor has it the price tag was around $300 million — but it’s sure hoping to live better in the mobile and social realms.
Just what is a real-time social media curator? Kosmix aggregates content by topic from across the web and social networks. The technology is used for TweetBeat, a real-time social media filter for live events, but could also be used to instantly retrieve a world information for potential consumers on Walmart’s online or mobile website and social media outposts.
Kosmix seemed cool enough that it brought in $55 million in funding from the likes of Time Warner Investments, Accel Partners, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Dag Ventures, Bezos Expeditions, Jon Miller and Ed Zander.
The acquisition will be integrated into new division @Walmart Labs, which is designed to link the social and mobile commerce strategies of the retail giant.
“We are expanding our capabilities in today’s rapidly growing social commerce environment,” said Walmart Vice Chairman Eduardo Castro-Wright. “Social networking and mobile applications are increasingly becoming a part of our customers’ day-to-day lives globally, influencing how they think about shopping.”
A board member of Wal-Mart used to be a top exec at Accel and Rob Walton’s son-in-law Greg Penner (also a board member) used to be tied into Accel. The firm and Wal-Mart have a close relationship.
I had never heard of Kosmix before Walmart bought it. I wonder if it will become popular. What do you guys think? -http://tinyurl.com/3j5ke49
Leave a Comment
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- NetSeer Appoints Dennis Clerke President of Monetization December 5th 2013 MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – NetSeer™, the [...] more »
- RealityMine Acquires USA TouchPoints December 5th 2013 MANCHESTER, U.K., December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) — RealityMine, a leading [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Paid to Post? What the Social Workforce Means for All of Us December 4th 2013
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Audience Development Manager
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers?: [...] like Digimarc have been bridging the gap between print ads and online tracking by
- Big Brands Have the Edge in Search Engine Results « egy: [...] Permalink [...]