Survey Says Banners Just Ain’t Worth a Click
ADOTAS – In a new survey jointly commissioned by 24/7 Real Media and AdKeeper, 58% of respondents said they don’t click on banner ads because they aren’t relevant. About half said that banners aren’t engaging or interesting.
Say you tossed some behavioral targeting in the mix — that might change opinions about relevancy. Show them a deal on a product they were just looking at and I’ll bet they’ll get engaged real quick-like.
Hold on — apparently 31% don’t want to click because they’re afraid their Internet activity will be tracked. That could be a problem… They want to see more relevant ads, but they’re scared of being tracked. Huh.
But this is a fearful bunch as the other major issue with banner ads is their tarnished legacy — that is, their history of being associated with scams. Of the 57% of respondents that don’t click on banners because they’re scared about what might happen:
54% just don’t trust most banners;
57% are afraid of receiving spam;
55% are worried about getting viruses; and
46% fear that pop-ups will take over their screens.
Conducted by Nielsen, the survey consisted of 600 respondents aged 18 to 54 who claimed to hardly ever or never click on banners. Considering their responses, I think the best conclusion to be drawn from this survey is that even if targeting technology offers more relevant and engaging ads, browsers who are scared or unwilling to click on banners are not going to change their behavior.
It would be interesting to see responses from people who “sometimes or often” click on banners.
AdKeeper, which offers technology that allows consumers to “save” banner ads and view them later on a secure site, highlights that 61% of the survey participants said “Online banner ads take me away from my current website, or from what I am doing.” If only there was a way to store the most interesting ads, maybe keep them safe so they could look at them later…
I also noticed that the survey didn’t seem to take into account how consumers’ view of banner ads would change if targeting and relevancy improved. Not just that, but the general appearance of the ads, regardless of what’s being offered…a lot of banner ads look like crap and therefore come across as spammy or untrustworthy just because of their shoddy design. I wrote a whole blog post with my thoughts on how the survey could have been improved and what it seems to ignore: http://bit.ly/eV20CR
Leave a Comment
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013 ADOTAS — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than