GetJar Gives Mobile App Shop Social Renovation
ADOTAS – Ninety percent of the mobile app downloaders who get their app fix from open and independent app store GetJar access the distributor from its mobile site. While GetJar currently boasts 30 million uniques, the company believes version 3.0 of its mobile website will drive even drive even traffic thanks to a Facebook Connect hookup.
While search is still the leader in terms of driving traffic to GetJar, social networks are bringing in a noticeable amount of uniques. The upgraded GetJar mobile site offers fully integrated Facebook features — after logging in with Facebook Connect, users can view what their friends are downloading on GetJar and post about apps directly to their own walls or friends’ pages.
Within the Friends section, Activity shows what your friends are downloading or otherwise doing (commenting, liking, disliking) on GetJar. The Apps tab shows the popular apps not only based on your friends’ rankings, but also friends of friends, which expands the recommended apps by 11 times. Within the MyApps download history — a complete record of all apps downloaded from GetJar — users can easily make specific app downloads private. (No one can know about my inability to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius…)
In general, the redesign is more modular. Since GetJar technology recognizes your device and mobile operating system when you navigate to the site, the Top Apps on the home page are based on the the most-downloaded apps for your device in your country. Also on the home page, three sponsored apps appear at the top of the screen and two at the bottom — three are pay-per-download while two are CPM-based. Within the Categories pages, these sponsored downloads are contextually targeted.
“Now that users can share apps with their friends on Facebook, recommendations are really a bit old school,” said GetJar CEO Ilja Laurs. “Our recent research clearly showed us that what consumers care about is what their friends are downloading and using, not what we as an app store think they should download.”
The research of which Laurs is GetJar’s recently released App Meter Survey, which was filled titillating discoveries — for instance, 73% of app users have downloaded an ad-supported app and about 60% said they’d do it again. Back in February, GetJar took home $25 million in a Series C financing round led by Tiger Global Management with additional participation by existing investor Accel Partners.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Oracle Buys Responsys, Creating the World’s Largest Modern Marketing Cloud
- Rocket Fuel Lets You Choose Your Charity, Issues EOY Infographic
- Report: Fraudulent Web Traffic Tips the Scale in the United States
- Are Tablets Taking Over? Study Says 55 Percent of Consumers Would Consider Replacing PC With Tablet
- The Year in Tweets: Love, Hate and Brands
Adknowledge CPM Email Advertising Showing ‘Google-Like’ ResultsKANSAS CITY, Mo., December 16, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge’s email channel, AdStation, has announced CPM-based pricing for email advertisers and [...] more...
- Oracle Buys Responsys, Creating the World’s Largest Modern Marketing Cloud December 20th 2013 ADOTAS — Oracle has acquired marketing cloud leader Responsys for [...] more »
- Rocket Fuel Lets You Choose Your Charity, Issues EOY Infographic December 20th 2013 ADOTAS — As we wrap up 2013 and head into [...] more »
- Report: Fraudulent Web Traffic Tips the Scale in the United States December 20th 2013 NEW YORK CITY, December 19, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Solve Media issued [...] more »
- Are Tablets Taking Over? Study Says 55 Percent of Consumers Would Consider Replacing PC With Tablet December 20th 2013 NEW YORK, December 19, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adroit Digital today [...] more »
- The Year in Tweets: Love, Hate and Brands December 20th 2013 ADOTAS — A new report from NetBase that reveals what consumers [...] more »
- Research Study: Holiday Retail Tactics Breed Mistrust Among Millennails December 19th 2013 ADOTAS — It’s an opportunity for progressive retailers to [...] more »
- eXelate Expands Global Data Coverage Through Strategic Partnership With French Company SirData December 19th 2013 NEW YORK, December 19, 2013 (ADOTAS) — eXelate, the leading [...] more »
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now! December 20th 2013
- What Will Publisher Biz Dev Teams Look Like by 2015? December 20th 2013
- Navigating The Wild West of Data Analytics: 6 Steps To Help You Get There December 20th 2013
- An Agency Perspective on Attribution December 19th 2013
- Leverage the Value of the Second-Screen Trend – Now and After the Holiday Shopping Season December 19th 2013
- VP Marketing - Tech Product Marketing
- Internet Marketing Manager
- Director of Platform Excellence
- Reporting & Analytics
- Sr. Account Manager: Advertising client management
- Oracle Buys Responsys, Creating the World’s Largest Modern Marketing Cloud: [...] Salesforce’s acquisition of ExactTarget earlier this year, large enterprise software companies are increasingly looking
- Scott Pannier: MdotLabs has a product that advertisers, agencies, and publishers can leverage to try and weed
- Bob Gordon: How can an honest publisher stay in business having to compete with the tiny CPM's
- Dick Bennett CEO: I'm sorry, but posting a "release" like this, and calling it "news", is just plain