Does Google Deserve These Federal Hassles?
ADOTAS – How European! After Microsoft formalized its complaints with European Commission about Google unfairly squeezing out search competition, two people “familiar with the matter” told Bloomberg that the Federal Trade Commission is considering an antitrust investigation of Google’s search business.
The FTC got a good look into Google’s operations last year before it finally accepted the company’s acquisition of mobile ad network AdMob. In addition, FTC Commissioner Thomas Rosch commented last week that he would get behind a probe into the “dominant players”
He didn’t name names, but did he need to?
The FTC is just waiting for the Justice Department to decide whether it will challenge the ITA Software acquisition, which they said might come soon. This (pretty paranoid) video from FairSearch.org — which includes Microsoft, TripAdvisor, Expedia, Kayak and Hotwire as charter members – explains the fear behind the ITA acquisition
Basically airlines and online travel services are scared Google will manipulate travel search results to favored partners — the ones who pay to be high in Google’s search results. To stay competitive, everybody in the game would start shelling out to Google, and then airlines might be “forced” to raise fares to compensate.
Wouldn’t that be evil? But Google says they do no evil… So it just must be capitalism, silly!
However, supposedly most online travel services have their own proprietary systems and use ITA’s as an adjunct resource. Also there’s a lot of confusion about how much Google drives traffic to travel resources. With that in mind, the video seems a little lightweight, especially when considering the lobbying behind it.
An anti-trust investigation also seems pretty fluffy; it’s hard to argue Google has a search monopoly when Bing is powering 30% of all Internet searches. Is federal intervention really necessary in either case?
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]