Does Google Deserve These Federal Hassles?
ADOTAS – How European! After Microsoft formalized its complaints with European Commission about Google unfairly squeezing out search competition, two people “familiar with the matter” told Bloomberg that the Federal Trade Commission is considering an antitrust investigation of Google’s search business.
The FTC got a good look into Google’s operations last year before it finally accepted the company’s acquisition of mobile ad network AdMob. In addition, FTC Commissioner Thomas Rosch commented last week that he would get behind a probe into the “dominant players”
He didn’t name names, but did he need to?
The FTC is just waiting for the Justice Department to decide whether it will challenge the ITA Software acquisition, which they said might come soon. This (pretty paranoid) video from FairSearch.org — which includes Microsoft, TripAdvisor, Expedia, Kayak and Hotwire as charter members – explains the fear behind the ITA acquisition
Basically airlines and online travel services are scared Google will manipulate travel search results to favored partners — the ones who pay to be high in Google’s search results. To stay competitive, everybody in the game would start shelling out to Google, and then airlines might be “forced” to raise fares to compensate.
Wouldn’t that be evil? But Google says they do no evil… So it just must be capitalism, silly!
However, supposedly most online travel services have their own proprietary systems and use ITA’s as an adjunct resource. Also there’s a lot of confusion about how much Google drives traffic to travel resources. With that in mind, the video seems a little lightweight, especially when considering the lobbying behind it.
An anti-trust investigation also seems pretty fluffy; it’s hard to argue Google has a search monopoly when Bing is powering 30% of all Internet searches. Is federal intervention really necessary in either case?
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013 ADOTAS — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than