Another Tremendous Loss for Microsoft’s Online Division
ADOTAS – If you were thinking Apple is an evil empire that’s tracking all of your moves via your smartphone, here’s some news to cement it for you: thanks to spectacular iPhone sales, Apple was $700 million more profitable in the third quarter of fiscal 2011 (net income of $5.99 billion) than Microsoft (net income of $5.23 billion). Last year, Apple’s market cap surpassed Microsoft’s, but the gap has only grown — $318.45 billion vs. $224.43 billion.
Microsoft may have surpassed Wall Street expectations with a lot of help from its Office, Xbox and Kinect products, but the numbers coming from the company’s online services division — Bing and MSN, brothers in underperforming — are still gag-worthy. As we noted last quarter, that area has lost Microsoft nearly $2.5 billion in the prior four quarters alone — online services haven’t been profitable in more than five years.
There seemed to be a silver lining though — the losses were dwindling every quarter (if you can call millions of dollars lost dwindling…), suggesting Microsoft may have turned the corner. However, despite a 14% increase in revenue for this quarter the company said was primarily driven by paid search advertising, losses for the quarter were $726 million, down from $709 million the year before. It was the second biggest loss for the division, barely coming in behind third quarter of fiscal 2009.
Bing’s search market share is up to 14% (around 30% if you count Yahoo!, which Bing powers, but Yahoo! still sells and receives… some revenue from search advertising) and online advertising revenue rose 17% during the quarter, attributed to search and display. However, the company admitted that the revenue per search from the Bing/Yahoo! marketplace fell below expectations (something we’ve heard from Yahoo’s camp as well).
Binghoo is starting to have the whiff of a failure… And we’re left again wondering how long Microsoft can shoulder such colossal losses. While Windows income decreased slightly year over year, execs must be feeling in their spines from decreasing PC sales.
How is Apple’s response arrogant?
“We’re an engineering-driven company. When people accuse us of things, the first thing we want to do is find out the truth. That took a certain amount of time to track all of these things down. And the accusations were coming day by day. By the time we had figured this all out, it took a few days. Then writing it up and trying to make it intelligible when this is a very high-tech topic took a few days. And here we are less than a week later.” – Steve Jobs
Leave a Comment
- Brainshark Launches Brainshark for Salesforce Work.com on Salesforce1 AppExchange
- MediaBrix Launches In-Game Ad SDK for Intel’s Latest Platform
- Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Over 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development
- Brainshark Launches Brainshark for Salesforce Work.com on Salesforce1 AppExchange March 12th 2014 WALTHAM, Mass., March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Brainshark, Inc., the [...] more »
- MediaBrix Launches In-Game Ad SDK for Intel’s Latest Platform March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) — MediaBrix, the leading [...] more »
- Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Over 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 — Fiverr®, the world’s largest [...] more »
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum March 11th 2014 VANCOUVER, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO [...] more »
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer March 11th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Ampush, a leading [...] more »
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting March 11th 2014 ADOTAS – You may already know that Facebook Exchange (FBX) [...] more »
- Big-Budget TV Ads Alone Aren’t Enough: Use Programmatic to Tell Your Brand Story March 12th 2014
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Courtesy to The Bellingham Business Journal | For Copywriters Only: [...] Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Fіnіѕhеԁ 3 Million Gigs® іn thе Palm οf Yουr
- Chris: I don't think BBTV drives success for online video creators by leveraging its proprietary technology
- Weekly RTB and Programmatic Marketing News from RTB Forums | My Blog / Website: [...] http://www.adotas.com/2014/03/sonobi-to-sponsor-premium-programmatic-event-in-nyc-next-week/ [...]
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Headlines Amazon Working on Music-Streaming ServiceThe Woman Who Scavenged SXSW For An iPadBroadbandTV