Another Tremendous Loss for Microsoft’s Online Division
ADOTAS – If you were thinking Apple is an evil empire that’s tracking all of your moves via your smartphone, here’s some news to cement it for you: thanks to spectacular iPhone sales, Apple was $700 million more profitable in the third quarter of fiscal 2011 (net income of $5.99 billion) than Microsoft (net income of $5.23 billion). Last year, Apple’s market cap surpassed Microsoft’s, but the gap has only grown — $318.45 billion vs. $224.43 billion.
Microsoft may have surpassed Wall Street expectations with a lot of help from its Office, Xbox and Kinect products, but the numbers coming from the company’s online services division — Bing and MSN, brothers in underperforming — are still gag-worthy. As we noted last quarter, that area has lost Microsoft nearly $2.5 billion in the prior four quarters alone — online services haven’t been profitable in more than five years.
There seemed to be a silver lining though — the losses were dwindling every quarter (if you can call millions of dollars lost dwindling…), suggesting Microsoft may have turned the corner. However, despite a 14% increase in revenue for this quarter the company said was primarily driven by paid search advertising, losses for the quarter were $726 million, down from $709 million the year before. It was the second biggest loss for the division, barely coming in behind third quarter of fiscal 2009.
Bing’s search market share is up to 14% (around 30% if you count Yahoo!, which Bing powers, but Yahoo! still sells and receives… some revenue from search advertising) and online advertising revenue rose 17% during the quarter, attributed to search and display. However, the company admitted that the revenue per search from the Bing/Yahoo! marketplace fell below expectations (something we’ve heard from Yahoo’s camp as well).
Binghoo is starting to have the whiff of a failure… And we’re left again wondering how long Microsoft can shoulder such colossal losses. While Windows income decreased slightly year over year, execs must be feeling in their spines from decreasing PC sales.
How is Apple’s response arrogant?
“We’re an engineering-driven company. When people accuse us of things, the first thing we want to do is find out the truth. That took a certain amount of time to track all of these things down. And the accusations were coming day by day. By the time we had figured this all out, it took a few days. Then writing it up and trying to make it intelligible when this is a very high-tech topic took a few days. And here we are less than a week later.” – Steve Jobs
Leave a Comment
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- NetSeer Appoints Dennis Clerke President of Monetization December 5th 2013 MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – NetSeer™, the [...] more »
- RealityMine Acquires USA TouchPoints December 5th 2013 MANCHESTER, U.K., December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) — RealityMine, a leading [...] more »
- Sprint and DigitasLBi Develop First-of-its-Kind Gesture-Based Retail Experience December 5th 2013 CHICAGO, December 05, 2013 (ADOTAS) — DigitasLBi, a global marketing [...] more »
- The Exchange Lab Secures $8 Million in Growth Capital Funding From BGF December 5th 2013 LONDON, NEW YORK & TORONTO, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – The [...] more »
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves December 4th 2013 FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla., December 4, 2013 (ADOTAS) -– Zimmerman Advertising [...] more »
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Paid to Post? What the Social Workforce Means for All of Us December 4th 2013
- Take the Time to Do Native Right December 2nd 2013
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Audience Development Manager
- Marketing Manager
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers?: [...] like Digimarc have been bridging the gap between print ads and online tracking by
- Big Brands Have the Edge in Search Engine Results « egy: [...] Permalink [...]
- How to improve your website's SEO - Business Record |: [...] the sites don't really …The 10 Most Cringe-Worthy SEO Myths Ever ToldBusiness 2 CommunityBig