Google Actually Snuggles Up to Search Socialization
ADOTAS – Oh yeah, I totally forgot that Google launched Social Search in 2009 — mainly because they kept relevant social links at the very bottom of the page. Who makes it to the end of a Google search results page?
It seems like Google and social should only be mentioned together in bad jokes — Google and social walk into a bar. The bartender asks, “Why the awkward integration?”
Of course, it hasn’t been a great week for Google’s search — or year for that matter — with The New York Times reporting on a huge black hat operation performed by JC Penney over the holiday season. But a retooling of the social aspect of its search engine could be the thing for turning the ugly tide that is moving against Google’s search algorithm.
Social results will now appear all over your results page — with those deemed most relevant appearing at the top — instead of just at the bottom. These include tweets from friends, blog pieces on Bloggr, pics from Flickr or social data from any other public site that you are connected with through your Google account.
For example, Google suggests that “if you’re thinking about climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro and your colleague Matt has written a blog post about his own experience, then we’ll bump up that post with a note and a picture.”
Google is also offering more options for connecting accounts publicly or privately — if there’s a site you want to be connected to, but perhaps you don’t want anyone being able to see your posts in their search results, you can opt out.
These upgrades are definitely more along the lines of what searchers are craving — instead of SEO-gamed results, personally relevant links will be front and center. Of course, there’s a gaping hole that you could drive a tractor-trailer through: no Facebook.
It’s no secret that the kids are increasingly using Facebook as a search engine, and until Google can get its crawlers on that data, any social search initiatives are going to be lackluster. A tweet just does not equal a like…
On the advertising front, what will a more social Google search mean for the SEO industry?
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]