Google Actually Snuggles Up to Search Socialization
ADOTAS – Oh yeah, I totally forgot that Google launched Social Search in 2009 — mainly because they kept relevant social links at the very bottom of the page. Who makes it to the end of a Google search results page?
It seems like Google and social should only be mentioned together in bad jokes — Google and social walk into a bar. The bartender asks, “Why the awkward integration?”
Of course, it hasn’t been a great week for Google’s search — or year for that matter — with The New York Times reporting on a huge black hat operation performed by JC Penney over the holiday season. But a retooling of the social aspect of its search engine could be the thing for turning the ugly tide that is moving against Google’s search algorithm.
Social results will now appear all over your results page — with those deemed most relevant appearing at the top — instead of just at the bottom. These include tweets from friends, blog pieces on Bloggr, pics from Flickr or social data from any other public site that you are connected with through your Google account.
For example, Google suggests that “if you’re thinking about climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro and your colleague Matt has written a blog post about his own experience, then we’ll bump up that post with a note and a picture.”
Google is also offering more options for connecting accounts publicly or privately — if there’s a site you want to be connected to, but perhaps you don’t want anyone being able to see your posts in their search results, you can opt out.
These upgrades are definitely more along the lines of what searchers are craving — instead of SEO-gamed results, personally relevant links will be front and center. Of course, there’s a gaping hole that you could drive a tractor-trailer through: no Facebook.
It’s no secret that the kids are increasingly using Facebook as a search engine, and until Google can get its crawlers on that data, any social search initiatives are going to be lackluster. A tweet just does not equal a like…
On the advertising front, what will a more social Google search mean for the SEO industry?
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- IAB Releases Native Advertising Playbook
- Appia Launches Native Ads for App Discovery
- Kitara Media Acquires Healthguru.Com; Combined Business 2014 Revenues Estimated At $50MM
- Lenovo Names TubeMogul Its Global Partner for Programmatic Video Advertising
- Lionsgate Partners with Mobiquity to Promote ‘Ender’s Game,’ ‘Divergence’
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- IAB Releases Native Advertising Playbook December 4th 2013 NEW YORK, December 4, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Native has become [...] more »
- Appia Launches Native Ads for App Discovery December 4th 2013 DURHAM, NC, December 4, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Appia, the leading mobile user [...] more »
- Kitara Media Acquires Healthguru.Com; Combined Business 2014 Revenues Estimated At $50MM December 4th 2013 Kitara Media Acquires Top Health Video Site HealthGuru.com from Kitara [...] more »
- Lenovo Names TubeMogul Its Global Partner for Programmatic Video Advertising December 4th 2013 EMERYVILLE, Calif., December 4, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Today, TubeMogul was [...] more »
- Lionsgate Partners with Mobiquity to Promote ‘Ender’s Game,’ ‘Divergence’ December 4th 2013 ADOTAS — One of the year’s most anticipated films, “Ender’s [...] more »
- LiveRail Touts $100 Million Run Rate, Preps for IPO in 2014 December 4th 2013 ADOTAS — The demand for programmatic advertising has exploded, with [...] more »
- Infographic: Branded Video Sharing Almost 50X Higher In 2013 Than In 2006 December 4th 2013 NEW YORK, December 4, 2013 (ADOTAS) — The sharing of [...] more »
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Paid to Post? What the Social Workforce Means for All of Us December 4th 2013
- Take the Time to Do Native Right December 2nd 2013
- Big Brands Have the Edge in Search Engine Results December 2nd 2013
- Disappointing Black Friday Sales? It’s Not Too Late to Profit from the Holidays December 2nd 2013
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Audience Development Manager
- Marketing Manager
- Big Brands Have the Edge in Search Engine Results « egy: [...] Permalink [...]
- How to improve your website's SEO - Business Record |: [...] the sites don't really …The 10 Most Cringe-Worthy SEO Myths Ever ToldBusiness 2 CommunityBig
- Gamers Gain Elite Status with Cadillac Campaign | Raldo Loijens: [...] a push to brand the elite gamers as Cadillac Elite. Cadillac Elite is being
- David: I hope my SEO-customers with semi-big brands do not read this - they might be