CrowdTwist Empowers Social Street Teams
ADOTAS – You have to hand it to Bamboozle Fest for its musical variety. Headliners for the three-day music festival, being held at the New Meadowlands in New Jersey this spring, include hiphop superstar Lil’ Wayne, Jersey rockers Gaslight Anthem, emo veterans Taking Back Sunday and hair metal survivors Motley Crue (Yes, they are still alive).
To boost both marketing and audience engagement, festival organizers teamed up with social loyalty platform builder CrowdTwist to create BoozleTwist, a rewards program offering VIP passes, the chance to introduce performers on stage, autographed merchandise and other goodies simply for doing run of the mill social networking activities: like the Bamboozle page on Facebook, tweet something about the festival on Twitter, check in on Foursquare, etc.
CrowdTwist’s white label loyalty platform enables a brand or marketer’s audience to earn points on its website or third-party website (e.g., Facebook and Twitter) that can be used to claim real-world commodities. In other words, it’s a scalable social street team — in the independent music world, in particular, street teams are dedicated fans that spread the word about upcoming events/concerts in exchange for free tickets, access to the artist or signed merchandise.
It’s not surprising that when launching a year ago, CrowdTwist was originally conceived and tested as a marketing tool for independent musicians. But founders Fain, COO Josh Bowen (another Clear Channel Radio Digital vet who was last seen at MTV Networks as the director of strategy and business development in the Digital Music Group) and CTO Michael Montero (formerly cofounder of niche social network publisher Community Connect) soon discovered the demand was quite broader: CrowdTwist is scalable for anyone with a multiplatform layout — website, social networking pages, etc.
Among the plethora of activities that users can perform to receive rewards through the platform are simple acts such as liking on Facebook, retweeting websites and listening to Internet radio station. Fans can also volunteer demographic information.
For brands and marketers, audience activities need to provide some sort of benefit to the client’s marketing efforts. Most point-earning social activities enhance brand awareness and assist in building a community, while the social analytics gained are quite revealing.
CrowdTwist is looped into the burgeoning but hazy marketing world of gamification, where rewards for gameplay are too often a top spot on a leaderboard or virtual goods with little actual value. Fain recently penned a thought piece for Social Times critical of Gabe Zichermann’s SAPS (Status, Access, Power and Stuff) gamification theory. While Zichermann argues that each aspect importance is arranged in that order, Fain believes Stuff (i.e., real-world rewards) leads to the other three.
“Virtual goods won’t sustain an audience,” he says. “Rewards in a loyalty program have to tie back into reality.”
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Over 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting
- Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Over 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 — Fiverr®, the world’s largest [...] more »
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum March 11th 2014 VANCOUVER, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO [...] more »
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer March 11th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Ampush, a leading [...] more »
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting March 11th 2014 ADOTAS – You may already know that Facebook Exchange (FBX) [...] more »
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President March 11th 2014 SAN DIEGO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) -– Covario, a leading independent [...] more »
- Kitara Media Appoints Chris Magdelinskas as Chief Technology Officer March 11th 2014 JERSEY CITY, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Kitara Media Corp. [...] more »
- Big-Budget TV Ads Alone Aren’t Enough: Use Programmatic to Tell Your Brand Story March 12th 2014
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Fans Among Farmers, Filmmakers#Selfie Music Video Dominates With Help From Social Media InfluencersAdknowledge Acquires
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]