Buzzy Blekko Releases January Stats
ADOTAS — I’ve been fascinated by social search engine Blekko, which uses human curation to power its slashtag search. After originally dismissing the engine as gimmicky, its potential revealed itself through Vivek Wadhwa’s New Year’s Day call to arms, “Why We Desperately Need a New (and Better) Google.” He discussed how his students found the social search of Blekko to be a far more effective tool for research than spam-infested Google.
During a Farsight 2011 panel I would have killed to attend (watch the whole thing or read Wadhwa’s take), Wadhwa moderated a panel featuring Google Search Maestro Matt Cuts, Bing Corporate VP of Core Search Dr. Harry Shum and Blekko CEO Rich Skrenta. While Skrenta gots some good jabs in there, the majority of the panel was taken up by Cuts and Shum bickering about Bing using Google’s results as a data input.
As TechCrunch’s Alexia Tsotsis poetically describes it, “Blekko CEO Rich Skrenta looked on, more a human symbol of the call for greater market diversity than anything else.” Even Skrenta’s stage-right chair seems positioned far away from the mud-fight between Bing and Google.
A few weeks ago, Cuts wrote a very vague blog post about Google’s plan to battle content farms. Blekko, on the other hand, decided to ban these sites from its search results:
In addition to the nearly $25 million the firm has raised from the likes of Marc Andreessen, Ron Conway and Jeff Clavier is a $200,000 investment by… actor Ashton Kutchner. If he becomes a well-respected venture capitalist, will he stop making movies and commercials?
In other words, Blekko has buzz — but is there anything behind it?
Well, the company has just released its January numbers — last month the search engine saw 30 million queries and its traffic is even higher than its launch pop. At its apex, it was receiving one million daily, one every 10 to 15 seconds. Blekko also boasts 110,000 slash tags created by its human curators.
Google had an average 88 billion U.S. monthly searches in 2009, a number that most likely went up last year.
So, Blekko is not drastically cutting into the search market, but the company is getting attention. Do you think it will continue to catch on or is its 15 minutes of fame about to end?
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]