Buzzy Blekko Releases January Stats
ADOTAS — I’ve been fascinated by social search engine Blekko, which uses human curation to power its slashtag search. After originally dismissing the engine as gimmicky, its potential revealed itself through Vivek Wadhwa’s New Year’s Day call to arms, “Why We Desperately Need a New (and Better) Google.” He discussed how his students found the social search of Blekko to be a far more effective tool for research than spam-infested Google.
During a Farsight 2011 panel I would have killed to attend (watch the whole thing or read Wadhwa’s take), Wadhwa moderated a panel featuring Google Search Maestro Matt Cuts, Bing Corporate VP of Core Search Dr. Harry Shum and Blekko CEO Rich Skrenta. While Skrenta gots some good jabs in there, the majority of the panel was taken up by Cuts and Shum bickering about Bing using Google’s results as a data input.
As TechCrunch’s Alexia Tsotsis poetically describes it, “Blekko CEO Rich Skrenta looked on, more a human symbol of the call for greater market diversity than anything else.” Even Skrenta’s stage-right chair seems positioned far away from the mud-fight between Bing and Google.
A few weeks ago, Cuts wrote a very vague blog post about Google’s plan to battle content farms. Blekko, on the other hand, decided to ban these sites from its search results:
In addition to the nearly $25 million the firm has raised from the likes of Marc Andreessen, Ron Conway and Jeff Clavier is a $200,000 investment by… actor Ashton Kutchner. If he becomes a well-respected venture capitalist, will he stop making movies and commercials?
In other words, Blekko has buzz — but is there anything behind it?
Well, the company has just released its January numbers — last month the search engine saw 30 million queries and its traffic is even higher than its launch pop. At its apex, it was receiving one million daily, one every 10 to 15 seconds. Blekko also boasts 110,000 slash tags created by its human curators.
Google had an average 88 billion U.S. monthly searches in 2009, a number that most likely went up last year.
So, Blekko is not drastically cutting into the search market, but the company is getting attention. Do you think it will continue to catch on or is its 15 minutes of fame about to end?
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- UPDATED: Twitter Officially Launches Tailored Audiences Program December 6th 2013 ADOTAS – Twitter brought its tailored audiences ad program out [...] more »
- veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video Advertising December 6th 2013 ADOTAS — Video marketing company veeseo announced this week a [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Massive Hack Attack Reaction December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’re featuring reactions from industry leaders to yesterday’s [...] more »
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack December 5th 2013 ADOTAS — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports [...] more »
- If You Waited for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, You Were Probably Too Late December 5th 2013 ADOTAS – While holiday shoppers have been conditioned to believe [...] more »
- Digital First Ventures, RealMatch Partner to Power JobsInTheUS.com December 5th 2013 NEW YORK, December 5, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Digital First Ventures, [...] more »
- Celtra Hires Ex-Adobe Exec Taplin as EVP of Global Sales December 5th 2013 CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – December 5, 2013 – Celtra Inc., the industry leader [...] more »
- Making Holiday Marketing Magic in 2013 December 6th 2013
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 6th 2013
- How Interactive Video is Helping Brands Engage with Their Customers December 5th 2013
- Is Putting Digital First Still Paramount for Advertisers? December 5th 2013
- Revenge of the Data Nerds: Who Will Be the Next Heartthrob of the B2B Data Market? December 4th 2013
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- Social Media Manager (Part-Time)
- Social Media Manager
- Audience Development Manager
- Text Marketing News December 6, 2013 | Text Marketing Companies: [...] veeseo Launches Speech-to-Text Content Recognition Engine for Video … – ADOTAS [...]
- Dell Software Exec: Strong Password Would Not Have Stopped Latest Hack: [...] — In response to Today’s Burning Question about reports of the latest major cyberattack,
- Zimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves – ADOTAS | Zimmerman News: [...] more here: Google Zimmerman News In [...]
- Online Video Quality Matters More Than You Think | Video Industry | OneScreen: [...] so. In fact, branded videos are getting shared 50 times more in 2013 than