LivingSocial Using Adware to Pass Groupon?
ADOTAS – As the media was lost in the hoopla surrounding the launch of Google Offers, fraud hound and former Adotas publisher Pace Lattin discovered via Alexa that discount site LivingSocial actually jumped in front of chief rival Groupon this month in terms of daily traffic.
In particular, there was a huge spike as LivingSocial offered a $20 Amazon discount card for half price. LivingSocial has been getting a lot attention since a $175 million cash injection by Amazon.
But Lattin did a little more digging and was surprised to find that 7% of LivingSocial’s traffic came from… Groupon? Its biggest competitor? OK, that’s a little weird, but maybe thrifty consumers were jumping from one discount site to the next, looking for the best deal of the day. However, Lattin smells the use of adware:
“I confirmed with several affiliate networks that run [LivingSocial CPA campaigns] and they told me that some of their biggest affiliates indeed are using contextual adware to promote LivingSocial, including TrafficVance, an opt-in adware system. Whether or not you agree with adware, is one question –- but the legality of popping a competitive site has been found in the courts to be an issue.”
Oooh, do we have a brewing legal showdown between Goliath (Groupon) and David (LivingSocial)? Stay tuned…
I check http://grouponbot.com more often then I check groupon now.
LivingSocial is certainly gaining more fame, especially after their last deal involving half off Amazon gift cards. It isn’t surprising to see them growing like Groupon.
If you are a consumer looking to save, try http://www.dailydealpool.com. They’ll send you a daily email with the best local discounts, ensuring you won’t miss out on a great deal in your area.
Great find. Knowing the tech culture of Living Social I don’t find it suprising they are using Adware. While it’s still a “grey” area LS tends to take a no-holds barred approach to this space.
However, I don’t consider Living Social vs Groupon a “David vs Goliath” matchup, its more like Goliath vs Goliath. TroopZilla vs. Groupon in their own backyard, is much more of your classic “David vs Goliath” matchup..
As a LIVINGSOCIAL employee…I totally agree with @TroopZilla for getting the tech culture right. We have incredibly intelligent “techies” who solve problems and streamline operations that thrives a sales force. I am proud of our accomplishments in the last year and yes @TroopZilla, it would be a Goliath vs. Goliath. LS just passed Groupon in web traffic and its latest $200M investment from Amazon, LS is now valued at over a billion dollars. Lastly, our company is very ethical and I feel an intentional sensitivity to ethics and values here. I sincerely believe the potential LivingSocial posses has been underestimated. We are going to surprise lots of people, stay tuned…
Leave a Comment
- Infographic: Adobe By The Numbers
- Marketo Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Insightera, Extending Leadership in Multi-Channel Relationship Marketing
- Rakuten MediaForge Chooses LiveRamp To Bridge Gap Between Customer Databases and Online Marketing for Brands
- VisualDNA Integrates with Adap.tv, Advertising.com, DataXu, Krux & Rocket Fuel
- Simpli.fi Closes $16MM Round of Series B Funding
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Infographic: Adobe By The Numbers December 12th 2013 ADOTAS – Adobe just announced results for its fiscal year that [...] more »
- Marketo Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Insightera, Extending Leadership in Multi-Channel Relationship Marketing December 12th 2013 SAN MATEO, Calif., December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Marketo , provider [...] more »
- Rakuten MediaForge Chooses LiveRamp To Bridge Gap Between Customer Databases and Online Marketing for Brands December 12th 2013 SALT LAKE CITY, December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Online marketers [...] more »
- VisualDNA Integrates with Adap.tv, Advertising.com, DataXu, Krux & Rocket Fuel December 12th 2013 LONDON, December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Audience insights company VisualDNA [...] more »
- Simpli.fi Closes $16MM Round of Series B Funding December 12th 2013 FORT WORTH, TX., December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Simpli.fi, an [...] more »
- MyCityWay Partners with USA TODAY to Launch Vegas-Themed App December 12th 2013 NEW YORK and MCLEAN, VA., December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – [...] more »
- Study: Dispop Trumps Google Display Advertising in Side-By-Side Comparison December 11th 2013 ADOTAS – Lest we forget, Google is an advertising company [...] more »
- Infographic: B2B Content Tug of War December 12th 2013
- 5 Mobile Strategies to Make Marketers Merry During the Holidays … and Beyond December 12th 2013
- Gone In 10 Seconds: How the Pioneers of Snapchat Marketing Use the App to Build Their Brand December 12th 2013
- SPECIAL REPORT: Ad Fraud and the Anatomy of a Botnet December 11th 2013
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day December 10th 2013
- Digital Media Specialist - Video
- Mgr Channel Planning (Social Media)
- SEO/SEM Analyst
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Stephen: Your new autoplay video commercials are REALLY annoying. It means I cannot leave your story
- Why Social Media Will Live Past their “Expiry Dates”: [...] in social media stock prices. In May 2012, Facebook reported a $35 billion loss
- Chris Zaharias: Very interesting data. All respect due to Google for having built and scaled tools for
- Dick Bennett CEO: Richard, I (and my company)have been on this scene for years. We performed the initial