Behavioral Targeting’s Future: Known and Unknown
ADOTAS – The last few months have been eventful for those following ad targeting and consumer privacy. Here’s my list of things that we have now learned (and some we haven’t) about the emerging “self-regulatory” framework.
What We Know:
A verifiable do-not-track choice is now “table stakes” if you’re making browsers. Microsoft had less to lose by upping the ante. It’s hard to see how Firefox and Chrome not following in some way.
Browser-based “Do Not Track” will be accessible from the new notices in ads and website footers. How can that choice not be presented, in a consumer-friendly process?
Many websites need to add notices, too. The Forward I icon in ads doesn’t cover all networks or collection activities like retargeting.
What We Don’t
What kind of back-end oversight suffices for self-regulation? Independent audits or industry compliance reviews?
Will Apple and Google police tracking privacy on mobile applications? Since they’re the only ones in a position to make it happen.
How will Google implement the DAA requirements? Will they adopt the icon? Will they police the participants in their big data exchange?
I still say behavioral targeting’s bad press is due to a lack of marketing. Zuck should have been first to invest in some pro-behavioral ads that clearly showed how consumers benefit from this technology vs. letting everyone run scared. These sites are indeed free!
On the other hand, there isn’t any evidence any industry will self-regulate so there has to be a boundary somewhere.
This will be like food nutrition label laws – at first the vendors can’t imagine it, then it ends up where no one can image a world without it and most people ignore it. When cigarette ads had to include the WARNING label it seemed outrageous, now no on cares and consumers ignore them (same for music advisory labeling).
users will not look at ads, so how many are going to bother to interact to change prefs? <1%.
Leave a Comment
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day December 10th 2013 ADOTAS – Marketers all have different opinions about how much [...] more »
- Adobe: Digital Magazine Circulation, Engagement are On the Rise December 10th 2013 ADOTAS — Today, Adobe released data showing significant circulation growth [...] more »
- New Adchemy Software Puts Multiplier Effect On Keyword Search Campaign Revenue December 10th 2013 SEARCH INSIDER SUMMIT, PARK CITY, Utah, December 10, 2013 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- Exclusive: American Laser Skincare Taps Matomy as Agency of Record December 10th 2013 ADOTAS – Today, American Laser Skincare, a large provider of laser [...] more »
- Unicorn Media’s Dynamic Ad Insertion Technology Enables Video Monetization on Twitter December 10th 2013 TEMPE, AZ, December 10, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Unicorn Media, the [...] more »
- Simulmedia Closes $25 Million D Round December 10th 2013 NEW YORK, December 10, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Simulmedia, a targeted [...] more »
- Fiverr® Launches iPhone App: Puts 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand December 10th 2013 NEW YORK, December 10, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Fiverr®, the world’s [...] more »
- SPECIAL REPORT: Ad Fraud and the Anatomy of a Botnet December 11th 2013
- Survey: Effective Content Marketing Requires 10 or More Posts a Day December 10th 2013
- Sharpen Your Marketing Strategy with Accountable Media December 10th 2013
- Female Game Players are Stealing TV Advertising Budgets December 10th 2013
- Media Consolidation Is Revolutionizing Marketing December 9th 2013
- Mgr Channel Planning (Social Media)
- SEO/SEM Analyst
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Publisher Services Manager
- IOne LocalZimmerman Advertising Has What White Castle Craves » IOne Local: [...] Castle. “They don’t just tackle our marketing problems; they help us continually improve ourbusiness. Zimmerman brought
- Sean Eisner: Ho Hum--hundreds of supposed review verification marks out there already, including UK-based "TrustMark" which sounds
- Exclusive: American Laser Skincare Taps Matomy as Agency of Record | MineralSpas.org: [...] Permalink [...]
- Michael Durwin: Another title for this article might be Advertisers Are Finding Better Engagements of Female Through