Can’t Catch Google and Its Gingerbread Phone
ADOTAS – A while back a friend let me play with her Nexus One, the Google-branded smartphone introduced to plentiful critical acclaim but a dearth of consumer interest. It seemed like such a shame it was shortly discontinued and Google’s online phone store shuttered because the phone was intuitive, quick (via a “pure” install of Android) and highly functional.
While many thought that signaled the end of Google’s hardware adventures, whispers about a new Nexus began running the tech media a few months ago. The second go-round with mobile OS Android proved to be a winner, so maybe the new Nexus S with the updated Gingerbread version of Android (v. 2.3) will grab consumers hearts.
Instead of HTC, the hardware is manufactured by Samsung, which has received mainly raves for its Galaxy series of Android-powered smartphones. The specs are certainly nothing to sneeze at: a 1GHz Hummingbird processor, front and rear facing cameras and 16 GB of internal memory.
In addition, the phone features near field communication (NFC) — short-range wireless technology that can be embedded in various physical media — hardware, for which Google integrated NXP Semiconductors’ NFC controller. Enabling NFC in the new Gingerbread version of Android, NXP supplied its complete open source software stack.
Gingerbread also boasts an improved user interface, a new keyboard and text selection tool, VoIP calling, better copy/paste functionality and gyroscope sensor support. A Gingerbread SDK is already available and Google announced it would be open-sourcing the update in a matter of weeks.
As of Dec. 16, the Nexus S can be bought unlocked or with a T-Mobile plan from your local Best Buy. Now word whether it will be picked up by other carriers — something that many saw as the death knell of Nexus One.
I remember when the galaxy S phones were being released and I defended Samsung saying that they had learned their lesson. All this gingerbread news is just making me and I’m sure other galaxy S users depressed/pissed. I’m never buying a Samsung phone again.
looks great,hope I don’t wait six months to get the upgrade
Is Google android wow, wait a minute, Is Samsung, sorry i was into getting this but as soon as i heard it was a samsung phone, i turn around and ran
Leave a Comment
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence
- RadiumOne Appoints New CFO As Rapid Growth Continues
- Blue Calypso’s DashTAGG Chosen as ad:tech San Francisco Official Mobile Gamification Platform
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence March 10th 2014 NEW YORK, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Bitly, the company [...] more »
- RadiumOne Appoints New CFO As Rapid Growth Continues March 10th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 9, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RadiumOne, the leading global [...] more »
- Blue Calypso’s DashTAGG Chosen as ad:tech San Francisco Official Mobile Gamification Platform March 10th 2014 DALLAS, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Blue Calypso, Inc. (OTCBB:BCYP), [...] more »
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen | Isupon: [...] ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy growth in the use
- What You Need To Know To Get Ahead In Video Advertising | Setting the PACE: [...] results of new research into online video advertising in the form of this infographic,
- conversion optimization examples | JIM BULDO: [...] SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social MarketingADOTAS, on Fri, 07 Mar 2014