Online Gets a Grip on GRPs
ADOTAS – Traditional advertisers are old, they can’t keep up with all these doodads the kids are playing with like Friendface or The Google. But they gotta reach those young demographics (I think the youths are calling them demos?) so give them something they can relate to: gross rating points
Gross rating what? Because I had no knowledge of the traditional advertising before joining Adotas, I was dumbfounded when someone drop that acronym on me about a year ago. Um, is that like a click? Like a bunch of clicks? No, no, I was quickly informed, its a metric based on the percentage of a target audience reached multiplied by the viewing frequency. It’s also what TV advertisers know best.
So I’m a little surprised that Nielsen only introduced a GRP-like measurement to the online space last week with Nielsen Online Campaign Ratings. The new system merges traditional Nielsen TV and online panel data with aggregated and anonymous demographic info from partnering online data contributors to deliver better accuracy and accelerated reporting (only a few days after a campaign begins) across a wider spectrum of the web.
Thus advertisers will be able to holistically assess their advertising efforts across reach of TV, online and mobile. While currently focusing on the U.S. market, Nielsen plans to expand the service globally and will seek accreditation by the Media Ratings Council.
However, ad network operator Goodway Group notes that Nielsen’s measurement system was only introduced and is not fully operational, while Goodway’s Death Star is ready for action right now. In fact it’s currently recorded 166 GRPs at a 63.88% reach and a corresponding 2.59X frequency for a client in Salt Lake City.
In partnership with ad verifier Adometry, Goodway is also building a system to blend in audience verification with GRPs called targeted rating points (TRPs). Goodway will be able to provide TRP counts within age and demographic segments that can be compared against conversion data.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]