Online Gets a Grip on GRPs
ADOTAS – Traditional advertisers are old, they can’t keep up with all these doodads the kids are playing with like Friendface or The Google. But they gotta reach those young demographics (I think the youths are calling them demos?) so give them something they can relate to: gross rating points
Gross rating what? Because I had no knowledge of the traditional advertising before joining Adotas, I was dumbfounded when someone drop that acronym on me about a year ago. Um, is that like a click? Like a bunch of clicks? No, no, I was quickly informed, its a metric based on the percentage of a target audience reached multiplied by the viewing frequency. It’s also what TV advertisers know best.
So I’m a little surprised that Nielsen only introduced a GRP-like measurement to the online space last week with Nielsen Online Campaign Ratings. The new system merges traditional Nielsen TV and online panel data with aggregated and anonymous demographic info from partnering online data contributors to deliver better accuracy and accelerated reporting (only a few days after a campaign begins) across a wider spectrum of the web.
Thus advertisers will be able to holistically assess their advertising efforts across reach of TV, online and mobile. While currently focusing on the U.S. market, Nielsen plans to expand the service globally and will seek accreditation by the Media Ratings Council.
However, ad network operator Goodway Group notes that Nielsen’s measurement system was only introduced and is not fully operational, while Goodway’s Death Star is ready for action right now. In fact it’s currently recorded 166 GRPs at a 63.88% reach and a corresponding 2.59X frequency for a client in Salt Lake City.
In partnership with ad verifier Adometry, Goodway is also building a system to blend in audience verification with GRPs called targeted rating points (TRPs). Goodway will be able to provide TRP counts within age and demographic segments that can be compared against conversion data.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
Take the Display Advertising Survey for the Chance to Win a Jawbone Jambox!ADOTAS – Industry discussions about cookies, privacy and the impact on display advertising have been frequent — and, in some [...] more...
- It’s Not Digital – It’s Mobile May 17th 2013 ADOTAS — One of the biggest mistakes advertisers can [...] more »
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit May 17th 2013 ADOTAS – The first-ever Westchester Digital Summit was held on May [...] more »
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships May 17th 2013 ADOTAS — Strong marketing strategies attract attention and build the [...] more »
- Adotas Poll: Tremor Video IPO Would Be A Success May 17th 2013 ADOTAS – In this week’s poll, we asked our readers: [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Impact of Google I/O Announcements? May 16th 2013 ADOTAS – We’ve asked our esteemed panel of industry thought [...] more »
- Unleash the Power of Mobile: 6 Steps to Lead Generation the ‘Iron Man’ Way May 16th 2013 ADOTAS – Tony Stark aka Iron Man is restless. The [...] more »
- Pandora is First Digital Publisher to Offer e-Business Advertising Integration into Media Buying Platforms May 16th 2013 OAKLAND, CALIF., May 15, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Pandora (NYSE: P), [...] more »
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit May 17th 2013
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships May 17th 2013
- Unleash the Power of Mobile: 6 Steps to Lead Generation the ‘Iron Man’ Way May 16th 2013
- Who’s Sharing My Brand Images? Why Text-Based Social Media Monitoring Falls Short May 16th 2013
- Ads That Look at You: How Eye-Tracking Technologies Will Change the Advertising Game May 15th 2013
- Print and Web Manager
- SEO Marketing PPC Specialist
- Marketing Summer Internship at Clean-Tech Educatio
- Service Line Manager - Digital Media
- SEO / SEM Specialist
- Backlinks uk: Within search engine optimisation (SEO), one way links reference hyper-links aiming to a distinct Website
- energy-physics: Media.net is a fantastic ad program. But now a days I cant customize their ads.
- Today’s Burning Question: Impact of Google I/O Announcements? – Adotas | Social Media Strategy Plan: [...] Permalink [...]
- Today’s Burning Question: Impact of Google I/O Announcements?: [...] “What will be the impact of the big announcements coming out of this week’s