Online Affiliate Marketing Is Patented?
ADOTAS – Did you know Internet affiliate marketing is patented? It was news to me too, but Patent No. 6,804,660: “System Method and Article of Manufacture for Internet Based Affiliate Pooling” was initially filed in 2001 by “inventors” Michael Landau and Evan Horowitz and granted in Oct. 12, 2004, to assignee Essociate. It describes a method, system and computer program allowing virtual affiliates access to an existing affiliate system.
Facebook was recently granted a patent that seemed to cover location-based social networking, but many in the industry saw it as a potential bargaining chip when negotiating with competitors. However, Essociate isn’t negotiating — it’s going for the jugular.
In March 2010 Essociate filed a patent infringement suit against Blue Whaler Investments, W4, Blue Phoenix Media, Flexoffers.com, Max Bounty, Direct Roi, Shareasale.com, Synervation Global. This isn’t the fist time Essociate has gone the legal route — the company filed suit against Clickxchange, Roi Rocket, CX Digital Media and others in May 2009, but the suit was dismissed with prejudice in February 2010.
Though it’s not clear what happened, the dismissal buoys Digital Moses’ suggestion that Essociate is targeting “companies with just enough money to pay some settlement but who wouldn’t have the resources or desire to go to trial, a mid-to-high six-figure endeavor at the very least.” He also notes that there is no real connection between all of the companies in terms of methods or services used — just that they all participate in affiliate marketing.
But who the hell is Essociate? We’ve never covered them at Adotas, though they have been on the affiliate scene since 1998. AffiliatePaying.com has no reviews at all. Apparently adult video service Vivid Video signed with them in 1999 and SnapNames.com affiliate program switched over in November 2009. Here’s their Twitter account as well — um, interesting tweets.
Affiliate network ShareASale filed a complaint against Essociate for declaratory judgment of patent non-infringement and invalidity on June 28. I’m reaching out to affected parties to learn more about this whole matter — if you’ve got any insight, hit me up at firstname.lastname@example.org.
They’re porn guys. Started the xpays affiliate program years ago.
The people who approve patents have totally lost their common sense. Allowing anyone to patent technology that is already in wide use is as ridiculous as allowing seeds and genes to be patented.
Eventually there will have to be class action suits to force logic to prevail. I just hope it is possible to find impartial judges to rule properly by then.
Networks, stop paying these thugs six figure settlements! Join forces and take these guys out. What a shame. Any good IP lawyer could rip this vague patent (http://essociate.com/patents/US6804660.pdf) to shreds. Affiliates this affects you too. Take action. Encourage your network of choice to fight back.
You can’t do anything without some one wanting to sue anymore.
Leave a Comment
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now
- Duracell Powermat and Unruly Partner to Support 2013 Holiday Campaign
- DeskSite Partners with NFL to Offer Alternative to Broadcast TV
- Infographic: Adobe By The Numbers
- Marketo Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Insightera, Extending Leadership in Multi-Channel Relationship Marketing
Adknowledge Announces Launch of ‘AdStation International’KANSAS CITY, Mo., November 25, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Adknowledge is pleased to announce the launch of AdStation International, a global [...] more...
- 5 New Video Ads You Should Watch Right Now December 13th 2013 ADOTAS – In this week’s round-up we see a late [...] more »
- Duracell Powermat and Unruly Partner to Support 2013 Holiday Campaign December 13th 2013 NEW YORK, December 13, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Today, global video [...] more »
- DeskSite Partners with NFL to Offer Alternative to Broadcast TV December 13th 2013 ADOTAS – DeskSite has just launched a digital video entertainment [...] more »
- Infographic: Adobe By The Numbers December 12th 2013 ADOTAS – Adobe just announced results for its fiscal year that [...] more »
- Marketo Signs Definitive Agreement to Acquire Insightera, Extending Leadership in Multi-Channel Relationship Marketing December 12th 2013 SAN MATEO, Calif., December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Marketo , provider [...] more »
- Rakuten MediaForge Chooses LiveRamp To Bridge Gap Between Customer Databases and Online Marketing for Brands December 12th 2013 SALT LAKE CITY, December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) — Online marketers [...] more »
- VisualDNA Integrates with Adap.tv, Advertising.com, DataXu, Krux & Rocket Fuel December 12th 2013 LONDON, December 12, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Audience insights company VisualDNA [...] more »
- Let’s Stop Debating Whether or Not Super Bowl Ads are Worth It December 13th 2013
- Infographic: B2B Content Tug of War December 12th 2013
- 5 Mobile Strategies to Make Marketers Merry During the Holidays … and Beyond December 12th 2013
- Gone In 10 Seconds: How the Pioneers of Snapchat Marketing Use the App to Build Their Brand December 12th 2013
- SPECIAL REPORT: Ad Fraud and the Anatomy of a Botnet December 11th 2013
- Digital Media Specialist - Video
- Mgr Channel Planning (Social Media)
- SEO/SEM Analyst
- Manager Planner - Digital Vendor Marketing
- Brand Manager
- Stephen: Your new autoplay video commercials are REALLY annoying. It means I cannot leave your story
- Why Social Media Will Live Past their “Expiry Dates”: [...] in social media stock prices. In May 2012, Facebook reported a $35 billion loss
- Chris Zaharias: Very interesting data. All respect due to Google for having built and scaled tools for
- Dick Bennett CEO: Richard, I (and my company)have been on this scene for years. We performed the initial