Online Affiliate Marketing Is Patented?
ADOTAS – Did you know Internet affiliate marketing is patented? It was news to me too, but Patent No. 6,804,660: “System Method and Article of Manufacture for Internet Based Affiliate Pooling” was initially filed in 2001 by “inventors” Michael Landau and Evan Horowitz and granted in Oct. 12, 2004, to assignee Essociate. It describes a method, system and computer program allowing virtual affiliates access to an existing affiliate system.
Facebook was recently granted a patent that seemed to cover location-based social networking, but many in the industry saw it as a potential bargaining chip when negotiating with competitors. However, Essociate isn’t negotiating — it’s going for the jugular.
In March 2010 Essociate filed a patent infringement suit against Blue Whaler Investments, W4, Blue Phoenix Media, Flexoffers.com, Max Bounty, Direct Roi, Shareasale.com, Synervation Global. This isn’t the fist time Essociate has gone the legal route — the company filed suit against Clickxchange, Roi Rocket, CX Digital Media and others in May 2009, but the suit was dismissed with prejudice in February 2010.
Though it’s not clear what happened, the dismissal buoys Digital Moses’ suggestion that Essociate is targeting “companies with just enough money to pay some settlement but who wouldn’t have the resources or desire to go to trial, a mid-to-high six-figure endeavor at the very least.” He also notes that there is no real connection between all of the companies in terms of methods or services used — just that they all participate in affiliate marketing.
But who the hell is Essociate? We’ve never covered them at Adotas, though they have been on the affiliate scene since 1998. AffiliatePaying.com has no reviews at all. Apparently adult video service Vivid Video signed with them in 1999 and SnapNames.com affiliate program switched over in November 2009. Here’s their Twitter account as well — um, interesting tweets.
Affiliate network ShareASale filed a complaint against Essociate for declaratory judgment of patent non-infringement and invalidity on June 28. I’m reaching out to affected parties to learn more about this whole matter — if you’ve got any insight, hit me up at email@example.com.
They’re porn guys. Started the xpays affiliate program years ago.
The people who approve patents have totally lost their common sense. Allowing anyone to patent technology that is already in wide use is as ridiculous as allowing seeds and genes to be patented.
Eventually there will have to be class action suits to force logic to prevail. I just hope it is possible to find impartial judges to rule properly by then.
Networks, stop paying these thugs six figure settlements! Join forces and take these guys out. What a shame. Any good IP lawyer could rip this vague patent (http://essociate.com/patents/US6804660.pdf) to shreds. Affiliates this affects you too. Take action. Encourage your network of choice to fight back.
You can’t do anything without some one wanting to sue anymore.
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]