Online Affiliate Marketing Is Patented?
ADOTAS – Did you know Internet affiliate marketing is patented? It was news to me too, but Patent No. 6,804,660: “System Method and Article of Manufacture for Internet Based Affiliate Pooling” was initially filed in 2001 by “inventors” Michael Landau and Evan Horowitz and granted in Oct. 12, 2004, to assignee Essociate. It describes a method, system and computer program allowing virtual affiliates access to an existing affiliate system.
Facebook was recently granted a patent that seemed to cover location-based social networking, but many in the industry saw it as a potential bargaining chip when negotiating with competitors. However, Essociate isn’t negotiating — it’s going for the jugular.
In March 2010 Essociate filed a patent infringement suit against Blue Whaler Investments, W4, Blue Phoenix Media, Flexoffers.com, Max Bounty, Direct Roi, Shareasale.com, Synervation Global. This isn’t the fist time Essociate has gone the legal route — the company filed suit against Clickxchange, Roi Rocket, CX Digital Media and others in May 2009, but the suit was dismissed with prejudice in February 2010.
Though it’s not clear what happened, the dismissal buoys Digital Moses’ suggestion that Essociate is targeting “companies with just enough money to pay some settlement but who wouldn’t have the resources or desire to go to trial, a mid-to-high six-figure endeavor at the very least.” He also notes that there is no real connection between all of the companies in terms of methods or services used — just that they all participate in affiliate marketing.
But who the hell is Essociate? We’ve never covered them at Adotas, though they have been on the affiliate scene since 1998. AffiliatePaying.com has no reviews at all. Apparently adult video service Vivid Video signed with them in 1999 and SnapNames.com affiliate program switched over in November 2009. Here’s their Twitter account as well — um, interesting tweets.
Affiliate network ShareASale filed a complaint against Essociate for declaratory judgment of patent non-infringement and invalidity on June 28. I’m reaching out to affected parties to learn more about this whole matter — if you’ve got any insight, hit me up at firstname.lastname@example.org.
They’re porn guys. Started the xpays affiliate program years ago.
The people who approve patents have totally lost their common sense. Allowing anyone to patent technology that is already in wide use is as ridiculous as allowing seeds and genes to be patented.
Eventually there will have to be class action suits to force logic to prevail. I just hope it is possible to find impartial judges to rule properly by then.
Networks, stop paying these thugs six figure settlements! Join forces and take these guys out. What a shame. Any good IP lawyer could rip this vague patent (http://essociate.com/patents/US6804660.pdf) to shreds. Affiliates this affects you too. Take action. Encourage your network of choice to fight back.
You can’t do anything without some one wanting to sue anymore.
Leave a Comment
- Lotame and Optimizely Partner for Website Content Optimization and Personalization
- Study: 1% of Advertisers Generate 80% of Clicks Across 10 Search Categories in US, UK and France
- Brainshark Launches Brainshark for Salesforce Work.com on Salesforce1 AppExchange
- MediaBrix Launches In-Game Ad SDK for Intel’s Latest Platform
- Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Over 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand
- Lotame and Optimizely Partner for Website Content Optimization and Personalization March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Lotame today announced [...] more »
- Study: 1% of Advertisers Generate 80% of Clicks Across 10 Search Categories in US, UK and France March 12th 2014 ROME, March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Paid search advertising is [...] more »
- Brainshark Launches Brainshark for Salesforce Work.com on Salesforce1 AppExchange March 12th 2014 WALTHAM, Mass., March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Brainshark, Inc., the [...] more »
- MediaBrix Launches In-Game Ad SDK for Intel’s Latest Platform March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 (ADOTAS) — MediaBrix, the leading [...] more »
- Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Over 3 Million Gigs® in the Palm of Your Hand March 12th 2014 NEW YORK, March 12, 2014 — Fiverr®, the world’s largest [...] more »
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum March 11th 2014 VANCOUVER, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO [...] more »
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Personalization Isn’t Creepy; It’s a Reality & a Necessity for Success March 12th 2014
- Big-Budget TV Ads Alone Aren’t Enough: Use Programmatic to Tell Your Brand Story March 12th 2014
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Courtesy to The Bellingham Business Journal | For Copywriters Only: [...] Fiverr® Updates iPhone App: Puts Fіnіѕhеԁ 3 Million Gigs® іn thе Palm οf Yουr
- Chris: I don't think BBTV drives success for online video creators by leveraging its proprietary technology
- Weekly RTB and Programmatic Marketing News from RTB Forums | My Blog / Website: [...] http://www.adotas.com/2014/03/sonobi-to-sponsor-premium-programmatic-event-in-nyc-next-week/ [...]
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Headlines Amazon Working on Music-Streaming ServiceThe Woman Who Scavenged SXSW For An iPadBroadbandTV