Facebook Revamps Groups, Adds Connect Permission Controls
ADOTAS – Remember those Facebook outages last week, where you were forced to actually do work instead of ogling photos of girls you had crushes on in high school? Well, it happened again last night — poor little social networking junkies couldn’t harvest their new crops on Farmville! So of course they went to Twitter to bitch about it — when one social network is down, you can always throw a hissy fit on another one.
But this isn’t a sign that Facebook can’t handle its half a billion users — Zuck and crew started rolling out new features, including a revamped grouping tool, during an event a few hours earlier than Google’s unveiling of GoogleTV. Apparently the launch of Facebook places was not the only reason the staff was on lockdown.
CEO Mark Zuckerburg and his geek squad appear to have given a great deal of thought to user privacy concerns in developing the new groups. Instead of an algorithm that guesses who you’d like to talk to most, Facebook has facilitated an easy way to assemble lists of people based on its photo-tagging software. Just like you can be tagged in a photo by someone else, you can be added to certain groups by friends.
When in the group, you’ll only deliver updates, photos, notes, etc., to the people there, you’ll only view other people’s postings specifically added for that group. Group chat has also been enabled, which a Facebook guy said is “really fun!” Hoo boy — I do miss those AOL chat rooms.
Privacy advocates are probably already wondering who outside of the groups will get access to the user lists? Will Facebook enable advertisers to target groups?
Also the crew introduced a way to download your entire Facebook history — every pic, status update and random post — via a zip file. Why you would want to do this doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me — what am I missing?
Another nifty addition is new controls regarding Facebook Connect. Users can now edit the permissions of apps and sites they connect with via Facebook connect, including revoking all information.
Rumors circling before the event spoke of a redesign in which profile pages will be transformed to resemble Places pages. No more menu tabs at the top of a profile — all navigation tools (e.g., photos, video, etc.) will be to the left, left, left!
Also, a source told TechCrunch that Facebook chat will be also be on the left side of the screen with larger profile pictures in the chat window — just in case you forgot what the person you’re chatting with looks like. I noticed they added something similar to Gchat, which seems redundant to me — I only talk to people I see often on Gchat, usually about upcoming plans, but I guess with all the social networking these days you might forget what your friends look like in reality.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
Take the Display Advertising Survey for the Chance to Win a Jawbone Jambox!ADOTAS – Industry discussions about cookies, privacy and the impact on display advertising have been frequent — and, in some [...] more...
- Today’s Burning Question: Implications of Yahoo’s Tumblr Acquisition? May 20th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’ve solicited comments from industry leaders to [...] more »
- Live Twitter feed from Internet Week New York May 20th 2013 ADOTAS – This year’s Internet Week New York (#IWNY) will [...] more »
- Preview: What’s Happening at Internet Week New York 2013 May 20th 2013 ADOTAS — Digital advertising and technology collide this week as [...] more »
- Report: David Karp sells Tumblr to Yahoo! for $1.1 Billion May 20th 2013 ADOTAS (via New York’s Daily News) — Who wants to [...] more »
- It’s Not Digital – It’s Mobile May 17th 2013 ADOTAS — One of the biggest mistakes advertisers can [...] more »
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit May 17th 2013 ADOTAS – The first-ever Westchester Digital Summit was held on May [...] more »
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships May 17th 2013 ADOTAS — Strong marketing strategies attract attention and build the [...] more »
- Preview: What’s Happening at Internet Week New York 2013 May 20th 2013
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit May 17th 2013
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships May 17th 2013
- Unleash the Power of Mobile: 6 Steps to Lead Generation the ‘Iron Man’ Way May 16th 2013
- Who’s Sharing My Brand Images? Why Text-Based Social Media Monitoring Falls Short May 16th 2013
- Print and Web Manager
- SEO Marketing PPC Specialist
- Marketing Summer Internship at Clean-Tech Educatio
- Service Line Manager - Digital Media
- SEO / SEM Specialist
- Pinterest Roundup — May 2013 | Technology for Publishing LLC: [...] Early Pinterest Analytics Show Brand Potential [...]
- YouTube Turns Eight As Platform Surpasses More Than 100 Hours Of Video … | HOW CAN I GET MONEY: [...] in the look, feel and behavior of Google Objects. The integration is easy, and
- MobiKeith: Well done. Gr8 read. Concepts can b used in general sales/marketing environment. Tx.
- Client News Weekly Wrap Up: [...] PunchTab founder and CEO Ramjet Kumaran, lists four best practices for using incentives to attract and