More articles by Jill Solomon
Email Marketing for the Mobile Set
ADOTAS – Reading this article on your smartphone? You are not alone. With the advent and further enhancements of the iPhone, Blackberry, Droid and HTC devices to name a few, there is now a growing mobile market that offers consumers a wide range of well-designed, efficient and just plain cool devices to choose from.
But it is the functionality of mobile phones that makes them a powerful tool for marketers, especially when it comes to email marketing.
Checking email via a mobile device has risen considerably in recent years as more phones enter the market and more consumers are drawn to them. According to a 2010 Pew Research Center study, 40% of adults use the Internet, email or instant messaging on a mobile phone, up from 32% in 2009. In addition, over two-thirds of business-to-business emailers read emails on their mobile devices.
This trend has quite a few implications for marketers trying to reach consumers. Now more than ever there is the ability and even a need, to reach individuals through their mobile devices as more consumers are using their phones to open emails directly. Following are some tips that marketers should take into consideration when designing emails for mobile devices.
Make your display mobile-friendly. Remember that unlike a desktop or laptop screen that can measure up to 21 inches, mobile email display appears on a screen of not more than 4 inches. Keep your design simple and un-cluttered to avoid too much distraction on a more restricted space.
Include a plain text version of your message. This will avoid any possible problems that you may encounter with HTML emails. No images will be shown, so make sure that the text-only version makes sense. You may have to do some re-wording so that users who are not receiving the HTML email will understand what you are offering.
Include links to your offer. With the development of smartphone technology, most users are able to visit any link instantly. Providing links for mobile users is a great way to get them directly to your site.
Keep your message short and to the point. Readers will not want to scroll through massive amounts of text or images. Remember that mobile users are only seeing a short portion of your message at a time due to the limited screen space.
The subject line should summarize your offer and entice the reader. A dull subject line will not make the reader want to open the email.
The growth in the smartphone market has created changes in the email marketing industry. With more and more users turning to their mobile devices to read emails, marketers must adjust their formats and design to accommodate this new trend. Making these changes can lead to higher open rates, better response rates and overall appreciation from smartphone email users.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- Social Media Consultants Have a Vested Pinterest in Your Brand’s Success June 19th 2013 ADOTAS – Have social media platforms pinterested you in how [...] more »
- Nikki’s Picks to Click: Facebook Ad Milestone, Twitter Spot Ads, Big Data Problems June 19th 2013 ADOTAS EDITOR’S NOTE: Editorial Intern Nikki Frammartino routinely scours online media for [...] more »
- Four Tips For Success With Cloud-Backed Digital Campaigns June 19th 2013 ADOTAS – Advertising legend David Ogilvy once said, “If it [...] more »
- Infographic: Martini Media and comScore Release Affluent Spending Data June 19th 2013 SAN FRANCISCO AND NEW YORK, June 19, 2013 (ADOTAS) — [...] more »
- Amazon Launches Social Gifting Service to Compete with Facebook Gifts June 19th 2013 ADOTAS — Did you forget that your friend’s birthday is [...] more »
- Upcoming Event and Conference Calendar June 19th 2013 ADOTAS -– Here’s a snapshot of upcoming industry events. Further [...] more »
- Big Data’s Killer App: Mobile RTB June 18th 2013 ADOTAS – As you may have noticed, mobile real-time bidding [...] more »
- Social Media Consultants Have a Vested Pinterest in Your Brand’s Success June 19th 2013
- Four Tips For Success With Cloud-Backed Digital Campaigns June 19th 2013
- Amazon Launches Social Gifting Service to Compete with Facebook Gifts June 19th 2013
- Big Data’s Killer App: Mobile RTB June 18th 2013
- How SMBs Can Keep Up With Mobile Commerce June 18th 2013
- Director of Business Valuation - Financial Advisor
- SEO / SEM Marketing Manager
- Marketing Research Analyst
- Director of Business Valuation - Financial Advisor
- Digital Project Manager
- Mediasmith - » Mediasmith -: [...] Medialets As Official 3rd-Party Server For Mobile/Tablet Advertising NEW YORK, June
- ReputationArmor.net - Online Reputation Management, Mobile Marketing, Domain Registration, Web Hosting, Social Engagement, and SMS Marketing Campaigns that work !!!: [...] Video: Small Business Should Visualize the Use of QR CodesADOTAS, on Mon, 17 Jun
- #Facebook #Hashtags #FTW? – Search Engine Watch | - Suaju Lean Management: [...] (FB) Wants to Wipe Twitter Off the Map…StreetInsider.com (subscription) (blog)ADOTAS -PerformanceIN -Patch.comall 16 news [...]
- #Facebook #Hashtags #FTW? – Search Engine Watch | Social Commerce Tomorrow - Media Marketing: [...] (FB) Wants to Wipe Twitter Off the Map…StreetInsider.com (subscription) (blog)ADOTAS -PerformanceIN -Patch.comall 16 news [...]