Verizon Will Skip Revamped Microsoft Mobile OS Launch — UPDATED
ADOTAS – Update, Friday 12:20 p.m.: A source tells Silicon Alley Insider that Microsoft decided months ago, after the Kin debacle, that it wouldn’t go with Verizon as a launch partner for the Windows Phone 7. I’m guessing there’s some bad, bad blood there….
Hey, let’s add a little insult to the injury Microsoft felt with the failure of the Kin earlier this year: apparently Verizon is not planning on selling a Windows Phone 7 when it launches this year.
A Verizon spokeswoman told Bloomberg Businessweek that the biggest carrier in the U.S. won’t have any Microsoft-powered phones until 2011, even though the updated OS is launching during the 2010 holiday season. Verizon infamously kicked Microsoft’s Kin to the curb earlier this year after two months of lethargic sales.
“Together with our hardware and mobile operator partners, we look forward to bringing Window Phone 7 to market this holiday,” said Microsoft Senior Product Manager Greg Sullivan in a statement. “Verizon continues to be a key Windows Phone partner going forward.”
In effect, Microsoft has decided to delay CDMA Windows Phone 7 handsets until 2011, meaning that the U.S. launch of the revamped OS will be limited to GSM carriers AT&T and T-Mobile.
According to comScore, Microsoft’s OS share of smartphones decreased from 14% to 11.8% from April to July.
No comments yet
Leave a Comment
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing March 7th 2014 AUSTIN, March 7, 2014 (ADOTAS) –- Kenshoo, the global leader in [...] more »
- Study: Consumers Want a More Personalized Mobile Home Screen March 7th 2014 ADOTAS – New research from mobile analytics company Flurry shows noteworthy [...] more »
- Twelvefold Introduces Spectrum for Video: Real-Time, URL-Level Video Ad Placements Across All Screens March 6th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 6, 2013 (ADOTAS) – Twelvefold, a big [...] more »
- DataXu Adds Video to Private Exchange Capabilities March 6th 2014 BOSTON, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – DataXu, a leading provider [...] more »
- YuMe, Magid and Razorfish Reveal CTV Creative Best Practices in Latest Study March 6th 2014 REDWOOD CITY, Calif., March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – YuMe, Inc. [...] more »
- RR Donnelley Announces $350 Million Debt Offering March 6th 2014 CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 (ADOTAS) – RR Donnelley & Sons [...] more »
- Getty Images to Showcase Free, Legal Embed Capability at SXSWi March 6th 2014 NEW YORK and AUSTIN, March 5, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Global digital [...] more »
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- 6 Trends That Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection March 6th 2014
- 4 Important Lessons B2B Marketers Learned in 2013 March 5th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- SXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates with Oracle for Social Marketing - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Report Rattles Currency's WorldBrands' Organic Facebook Reach Has Plummeted Since OctoberSXSW News: Kenshoo Integrates
- #DailyDigital It’s Friday. Facebook Is Doing Something to the Newsfeed. Again. | Trey Peden - Digital. Marketing. Management.: [...] Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014 I wanted to read
- Jeff Yablon: of course ... there's always the question of revenue split ... interesting new service just
- Articles Written by Bob Bentz | Bob Bentz: [...] 7/14/08 — Adotas [...]