McDonald’s Testifies to Foursquare’s Power — UPDATED
ADOTAS – Updated, Friday 12:05 a.m.: McDonald’s Social Media Head Rick Wion told me on Twitter: “To clarify, the 33% increase was in the number of check-ins. We consider check-ins the same as a person entering the restaurant.”
“Well, with Foursquare, if you check in at a store or restaurant more than anyone else, you become mayor,” I reply.
“So?” they say in chorus.
“So…” Here I get a little flustered, but I regain my composure. “So you can also get coupons.”
“That’s it?” they sigh.
But don’t underestimate that value — McDonald’s certainly doesn’t after a one-day $1,000 campaign increased Foursquare check-ins by 33%. Hoping to capitalize on the excitement surrounding “Foursquare Day” on April 16, McDonald’s partnered with the celebration’s organizers and spread the word that 100 $5 and $10 gift cards would be randomly given by consumers checking in.
The fast food giant recorded more than 50 articles written about the deal, 600,000 new Foursquare followers and 99% positive feedback. In addition to the daily 33% increase in Foursquare check-ins, McDonald’s noted a 40% uptick for the week.
It was the new guy’s idea — Rick Wion, who had started in the position of social media head a few weeks before Foursquare Day, shared the findings at the Mobile Social Communications conference yesterday.
Wion was unable to share the results of a guerrilla social media campaign employed four days later on April 20, but I can tell you I personally have never eaten so many McDonald’s french fries in my life. I was so hungry — damn that Maui Wowie.
Did you read the article? It was a 33% increase in checkins on foursqaure, not overall foot traffic. Big difference.
At the conference, Wion noted a “33% increase in foot traffic.” However, if this was in addition to the 33% increase in check-ins is not clear.
McDonald’s Social Media Head Rick Wion told me on Twitter: “To clarify, the 33% increase was in the number of check-ins. We consider check-ins the same as a person entering the restaurant.”
Thanks for sharing this. I’m the co-author of Guerrilla Social Media Marketing with Jay Conrad Levinson. We’d like to connect via email. What’s the best way to contact you.
Leave a Comment
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President
- BroadbandTV CEO is Named Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum March 11th 2014 VANCOUVER, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Shahrzad Rafati, founder and CEO [...] more »
- Intent Media Hires Noted Travel Industry Exec Noreen Henry as VP of Business Development March 11th 2014 NEW YORK, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Intent Media, an [...] more »
- Ampush Appoints Rick Cotton as Chief Revenue Officer March 11th 2014 SAN FRANCISCO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) – Ampush, a leading [...] more »
- Facebook Exchange Partner Perfect Audience Taps into Google Merchant Accounts for Retargeting March 11th 2014 ADOTAS – You may already know that Facebook Exchange (FBX) [...] more »
- Covario Names Jeff MacGurn Senior Vice President March 11th 2014 SAN DIEGO, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) -– Covario, a leading independent [...] more »
- Kitara Media Appoints Chris Magdelinskas as Chief Technology Officer March 11th 2014 JERSEY CITY, March 11, 2014 (ADOTAS) — Kitara Media Corp. [...] more »
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media March 10th 2014 KANSAS CITY, Mo. and LOS ANGELES, March 10, 2014 (ADOTAS) [...] more »
- 5 Keys to Capitalizing on the Mobile Gaming Phenomenon March 11th 2014
- The Programmatic Future: Automation Poised to Dominate Video Ad Buying March 10th 2014
- You Have My Data, Now Stop Retargeting Me! March 7th 2014
- The Top 5 New Video Ads: Snickers, Pepsi, HUVr, Hugo Boss March 7th 2014
- Spotlight on Search: Yahoo! Gemini vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns March 6th 2014
- Marketing Operations Manager - Healthcare
- Director Digital Engagements
- Website Designer
- Online Account Manager
- Online Media Buyer
- Adknowledge Acquires Video Syndicator Giant Media - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Fans Among Farmers, Filmmakers#Selfie Music Video Dominates With Help From Social Media InfluencersAdknowledge Acquires
- Today’s Burning Question: Instagram’s $100 Million Ad Deal with Omnicom - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Tech Companies Must Improve EncryptionThe (Important) SXSW Panels You Missed, Explained by CartoonsToday’s Burning
- Bitly Adds New Leadership, Partners with Moz for Inbound Link Marketing Intelligence - Responsivemts | Responsivemts: [...] Live Video: Edward Snowden at SXSWSheryl Sandberg Teams Up With Beyonce to Ban
- Finding Your Brand Advocates, Are You Ready for Super Bowl Sunday? - Inside CXM: [...] Theresa Trevor, Adotas, offers 5 simple rules to motivate brand advocates: [...]