McDonald’s Testifies to Foursquare’s Power — UPDATED
ADOTAS – Updated, Friday 12:05 a.m.: McDonald’s Social Media Head Rick Wion told me on Twitter: “To clarify, the 33% increase was in the number of check-ins. We consider check-ins the same as a person entering the restaurant.”
“Well, with Foursquare, if you check in at a store or restaurant more than anyone else, you become mayor,” I reply.
“So?” they say in chorus.
“So…” Here I get a little flustered, but I regain my composure. “So you can also get coupons.”
“That’s it?” they sigh.
But don’t underestimate that value — McDonald’s certainly doesn’t after a one-day $1,000 campaign increased Foursquare check-ins by 33%. Hoping to capitalize on the excitement surrounding “Foursquare Day” on April 16, McDonald’s partnered with the celebration’s organizers and spread the word that 100 $5 and $10 gift cards would be randomly given by consumers checking in.
The fast food giant recorded more than 50 articles written about the deal, 600,000 new Foursquare followers and 99% positive feedback. In addition to the daily 33% increase in Foursquare check-ins, McDonald’s noted a 40% uptick for the week.
It was the new guy’s idea — Rick Wion, who had started in the position of social media head a few weeks before Foursquare Day, shared the findings at the Mobile Social Communications conference yesterday.
Wion was unable to share the results of a guerrilla social media campaign employed four days later on April 20, but I can tell you I personally have never eaten so many McDonald’s french fries in my life. I was so hungry — damn that Maui Wowie.
Did you read the article? It was a 33% increase in checkins on foursqaure, not overall foot traffic. Big difference.
At the conference, Wion noted a “33% increase in foot traffic.” However, if this was in addition to the 33% increase in check-ins is not clear.
McDonald’s Social Media Head Rick Wion told me on Twitter: “To clarify, the 33% increase was in the number of check-ins. We consider check-ins the same as a person entering the restaurant.”
Thanks for sharing this. I’m the co-author of Guerrilla Social Media Marketing with Jay Conrad Levinson. We’d like to connect via email. What’s the best way to contact you.
Leave a Comment
Take the Display Advertising Survey for the Chance to Win a Jawbone Jambox!ADOTAS – Industry discussions about cookies, privacy and the impact on display advertising have been frequent — and, in some [...] more...
- Watch it Live: Xbox Reveal, 5/21 at Noon EDT/10 a.m. PDT May 20th 2013 ADOTAS (via CNET) – Check out CNET’s live coverage of [...] more »
- Today’s Burning Question: Implications of Yahoo’s Tumblr Acquisition? May 20th 2013 ADOTAS – Today we’ve solicited comments from industry leaders in [...] more »
- AFAIK: Poptent, Clear Channel Outdoor, Infusionsoft, Silverpop May 20th 2013 ADOTAS — Here’s what jumped out of my Inbox and [...] more »
- Live Twitter feed from Internet Week New York May 20th 2013 ADOTAS – This year’s Internet Week New York (#IWNY) will [...] more »
- Preview: What’s Happening at Internet Week New York 2013 May 20th 2013 ADOTAS — Digital advertising and technology collide this week as [...] more »
- Report: David Karp sells Tumblr to Yahoo! for $1.1 Billion May 20th 2013 ADOTAS (via New York’s Daily News) — Who wants to [...] more »
- It’s Not Digital – It’s Mobile May 17th 2013 ADOTAS — One of the biggest mistakes advertisers can [...] more »
- Preview: What’s Happening at Internet Week New York 2013 May 20th 2013
- Video from the Westchester Digital Summit May 17th 2013
- Automating Core Processes Can Reduce ‘Little Big Problems’ That Ruin Customer Relationships May 17th 2013
- Unleash the Power of Mobile: 6 Steps to Lead Generation the ‘Iron Man’ Way May 16th 2013
- Who’s Sharing My Brand Images? Why Text-Based Social Media Monitoring Falls Short May 16th 2013
- Print and Web Manager
- SEO Marketing PPC Specialist
- Marketing Summer Internship at Clean-Tech Educatio
- Service Line Manager - Digital Media
- SEO / SEM Specialist
- Pinterest Roundup — May 2013 | Technology for Publishing LLC: [...] Early Pinterest Analytics Show Brand Potential [...]
- YouTube Turns Eight As Platform Surpasses More Than 100 Hours Of Video … | HOW CAN I GET MONEY: [...] in the look, feel and behavior of Google Objects. The integration is easy, and
- MobiKeith: Well done. Gr8 read. Concepts can b used in general sales/marketing environment. Tx.
- Client News Weekly Wrap Up: [...] PunchTab founder and CEO Ramjet Kumaran, lists four best practices for using incentives to attract and